Princess McKinley Tour Options

jhannah

Our cruisetour lists a horse-drawn wagon tour and a trip into Devil's Canyon as two options while we're at the Princess Wilderness Lodge. What can you tell me about these? Worth it? The text in the book reads like they are extra-cost options. Is that true?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me.

I don't how good any of the tours themselves are, but they are all optional tours and an added expense at the lodges, just like they are on the ship. The exception to this is some cruisetours that include the Natural History tour or the Tundra Wilderness tour at the Denali Lodge. Here is a link to the 2008 tours available at the lodges:

http://www.princess.com/learn/shorex/brochures/alaska/Alaska_Optional_Land_Excursions_08.pdf

I haven't been able to find any of the 2009 info yet, so prices will probably be a bit higher than what you see in this brochure.

All meals and tours at the lodges are extra. Unless there is something you absolutely cannot live without doing, I would wait until I got to the lodge to book tours. Last time I was at the McKinley Princess, it was pouring down rain and I passed the wagon tour on the way in - a bunch of miserable, wet faces peering out of the back of the wagon at me. The tours tend to run despite the weather and you don't get a refund if it's raining.

I drive back and forth from Fairbanks to Seward during the summer and like to stop at the McKinley for an expresso, as it is a good halfway point between Wasilla and Denali NP. Last summer was nice in June and then rained the rest of the summer, so it probably wasn't the best example. If you are here late May thru mid-July, it's probably good not to book late afternoon tours, as we typically get thunderstorms and rain in the afternoons on clear days. Starting in late July, we are into the "monsoon" season with a couple of days of rain followed by a couple of nice days. In September, it's Indian Summer, with warm, clear days and frosts at night. June is my favorite month for weather, with most of our clear days and high temperatues during that month.

In my opinion, the activies from the lodge tours are "fill ins" and may not be the best options, some are costly for what you get. The highlight of this lodge is the location if McKinley is viewable, which isn't often. Flightseeing is a top tour choice in my opinion, but that is a 2 hour round trip shuttle from this lodge to Talkeetna. For the best option, I would consider scheduling this, if you are traveling by rail, before or after arrival/departure.

There is a walking path, that is nice. I too have stopped here with my own transportation.

Our cruisetour lists a horse-drawn wagon tour and a trip into Devil's Canyon as two options while we're at the Princess Wilderness Lodge. What can you tell me about these? Worth it? The text in the book reads like they are extra-cost options. Is that true?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me.

Me and hubby did the horse-drawn wagon tour to kill a few hours before our coach picked us up to take us to Anchorage. I was actually pleasantly surprised and very much enjoyed the tour. You are firstly taken to a view point which if the weather is good will give you fantastic views over towards Mt McKinley - unfortunately it was misty and we didnt see much. You then go to a "camp" which has a nice roaring fire if its a bit chilly. We got to pan for some gold which was fun and then toast marshamallows - a first for me being a Brit. Dont expect too much but a pleasant way of spending a few hours.

Archived