Statendam/Hawaii--anyone just back?

jan7487

Hi--

Believe the Statendam just returned from a 15 day Hawaii circle. Would love to read a review--or comments --if you were on this cruise. Was the ship in (reasonably) good shape? Any problems? And mostly, did you have a great time????

We are sailing Jan.5/05 and would appreciate any opinions. Hope you had a wonderful cruise!

Janet

Yes, Dw and I along with another couple just got off the Statendam Saturday. We had a great trip and thoroughly enjoyed it.

This was our second time to take this cruise and we saw a completely different Hawaii this time than before because we chose to hire taxies instead of booking through HAL. Not only did we see more, but the tours cost us less. Just be sure you settle on a price before getting in the taxi if you choose to do like we did as many cabs have meters and the cost can be pretty high. We heard of people before us who ended up with a $400+ taxi bill by using a local cab instead of a touring taxi.

The ship itself seemed to be in pretty good shape although it did temporarily lose one engine on the way back to San Diego. It was only for a few hours and didn't cause any delays. We had rolling seas one evening in each direction that made some passengers woozy but fortunately we were not bothered. The beds on the Statendam all have the new matresses and they were very nice.

We were late booking the cruise and ended up being assigned to the 8:30 PM dinner seating which is way too late for us. So with about 200 or 300 others we stood in line trying to get switched. It seemed everyone wanted one of the early dining times. Some how we got switched but most everyone else did not. The food was good. We ate one evening in the Pinnacle Grill and the the food was great although the service was very slow. We were also invited to dine at the captain's table on the last formal night and the food there was very good and the service was outstanding. lol

We had four formal nights, about 3 Hawaiian nights, way too many informal nights and not near enough casual nights. On the formal nights, there were a few tuxes but the trend was definitely a coat and tie for men. Likewise, I didn't notice a whole lot of evening gowns but as DW says, I don't pay attention to what women wear.

One thing that was different on this cruise was the Mariners Reception. Instead of having it in the main lounge as usual, they held a brunch for the mariners. Those who either had at least 100 days, or were getting that award, entered the dining room together by decending the staircase and making a grand entry. I liked this reception much more than the old way they used to do it. I don't know if the brunch is to be fleet wide or just on the Statendam.

As we left Kona, there was a medical emergency aboard and we had to turn around and take the ill passenger off. This delayed our getting to see Kilauela until about 4:00 AM. It was too bad, but the captain made the right decision.

Feel free to email if you have more questions or I will be glad to answer them here. My email address is user8@swbell.net . Please put Cruise Critic in the subject line so that it doesn't get trashed before I see it.

Yes, Dw and I along with another couple just got off the Statendam Saturday. We had a great trip and thoroughly enjoyed it.

This was our second time to take this cruise and we saw a completely different Hawaii this time than before because we chose to hire taxies instead of booking through HAL. Not only did we see more, but the tours cost us less. Just be sure you settle on a price before getting in the taxi if you choose to do like we did as many cabs have meters and the cost can be pretty high. We heard of people before us who ended up with a $400+ taxi bill by using a local cab instead of a touring taxi.

The ship itself seemed to be in pretty good shape although it did temporarily lose one engine on the way back to San Diego. It was only for a few hours and didn't cause any delays. We had rolling seas one evening in each direction that made some passengers woozy but fortunately we were not bothered. The beds on the Statendam all have the new matresses and they were very nice.

We were late booking the cruise and ended up being assigned to the 8:30 PM dinner seating which is way too late for us. So with about 200 or 300 others we stood in line trying to get switched. It seemed everyone wanted one of the early dining times. Some how we got switched but most everyone else did not. The food was good. We ate one evening in the Pinnacle Grill and the the food was great although the service was very slow. We were also invited to dine at the captain's table on the last formal night and the food there was very good and the service was outstanding. lol

We had four formal nights, about 3 Hawaiian nights, way too many informal nights and not near enough casual nights. On the formal nights, there were a few tuxes but the trend was definitely a coat and tie for men. Likewise, I didn't notice a whole lot of evening gowns but as DW says, I don't pay attention to what women wear.

One thing that was different on this cruise was the Mariners Reception. Instead of having it in the main lounge as usual, they held a brunch for the mariners. Those who either had at least 100 days, or were getting that award, entered the dining room together by decending the staircase and making a grand entry. I liked this reception much more than the old way they used to do it. I don't know if the brunch is to be fleet wide or just on the Statendam.

As we left Kona, there was a medical emergency aboard and we had to turn around and take the ill passenger off. This delayed our getting to see Kilauela until about 4:00 AM. It was too bad, but the captain made the right decision.

Feel free to email if you have more questions or I will be glad to answer them here. My email address is user8@swbell.net . Please put Cruise Critic in the subject line so that it doesn't get trashed before I see it.

User8, thank you so much for your response.

Specifically, there have been comments about problems with the air conditioning aboard the Statendam. Did you have any problems, especially in your cabin?

Thanks for any reply.

The first night on board my wife, who is always too hot, complained to the main desk about it being too hot in our cabin. Apparently they got it fixed while we were at dinner, because she never complained again. Our biggest a/c problem came about by her turning down the thermostat and my turning it back up, but you can't blame the ship for that. If we went to bed with the thermostat turned way down, I would wake freezing during the night, so our a/c was definitely working - too well to suit me.

In the rest of the ship, I remember thinking it was ocassionally too chilly for me but again, DW thought it was too hot.

The first night on board my wife, who is always too hot, complained to the main desk about it being too hot in our cabin. Apparently they got it fixed while we were at dinner, because she never complained again. Our biggest a/c problem came about by her turning down the thermostat and my turning it back up, but you can't blame the ship for that. If we went to bed with the thermostat turned way down, I would wake freezing during the night, so our a/c was definitely working - too well to suit me.

In the rest of the ship, I remember thinking it was ocassionally too chilly for me but again, DW thought it was too hot.

Thanks...appreciate your reply.

Thanks so much for posting. I'm happy to hear that the Statendam has new mattresses and the A/C is adequate. Those were two of my concerns from reading previous posts. My hubby and I leave for our first ever cruise on Dec. 21st (less than two weeks! WOOHOO!). It's also the 15-Day Circle Hawaii Cruise. Needless to say we are both very excited. We decided to celebrate our 25th Anniversary in style -- and I think we're doing it up right!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi--

Yes, we have---think it was about 10 days ago. I had been talking to our TA about another cruise and asked her when we could expect the Statendam docs---she sent them along the next day by Priority Mail.

Am starting to really give this coming trip some thought. Decided we better get organised before the holidays overwhelmed us! Overwhelmed or not, we leave home(Seattle)on the 3rd and will spend 2 nights in San Diego before embarkation. Still trying to decide between the Marriott and the Hyatt.

Janet

Hi--

Yes, we have---think it was about 10 days ago. I had been talking to our TA about another cruise and asked her when we could expect the Statendam docs---she sent them along the next day by Priority Mail.

Am starting to really give this coming trip some thought. Decided we better get organised before the holidays overwhelmed us! Overwhelmed or not, we leave home(Seattle)on the 3rd and will spend 2 nights in San Diego before embarkation. Still trying to decide between the Marriott and the Hyatt.

Janet

Janet, congratulations; we will get ours this weekend.

If this works for us (we have family illnesses to handle), this might be our last HAL trip, especially on the S class ships. HAL's current trend toward what is trendy, like the climbing wall mentioned by Georgia in another post, will send us very quickly to another line.

I sincerely hope your family situation improves and will allow you to take this cruise.

I couldn't agree with you more as to climbing walls, and other "improvements". We appreciate a conservative, traditional cruise experience and are sorry to see Holland America go after a more mass market passenger. I know change is inevitable in any business, but always have been so happy with the way Holland America operated in the past that we find this transition especially sad. After our first cruise some years ago, my husband summed it up as being civilized without being stuffy--and until recently we have never had reason to change this opinion.

We are booked on the Prinsendam in September and look forward to that Baltic cruise. We don't believe you are ever going to find coffee houses and climbing walls aboard this lovely little ship!

I sincerely hope your family situation improves and will allow you to take this cruise.

I couldn't agree with you more as to climbing walls, and other "improvements". We appreciate a conservative, traditional cruise experience and are sorry to see Holland America go after a more mass market passenger. I know change is inevitable in any business, but always have been so happy with the way Holland America operated in the past that we find this transition especially sad. After our first cruise some years ago, my husband summed it up as being civilized without being stuffy--and until recently we have never had reason to change this opinion.

We are booked on the Prinsendam in September and look forward to that Baltic cruise. We don't believe you are ever going to find coffee houses and climbing walls aboard this lovely little ship!

Janet, we now have our documents -- but still have to take it one day at a time. It's looking as if the departure decision will indeed be last minute...annoying, but doable.

Happy holidays!

Archived