Crappy Cruise Ship Coffee

linux-dude

On shore, I drink a a little coffee during the day. I enjoy a good cup of coffee and it makes my day a very pleasant one indeed. But I am NOT kidding about the coffee being bad aboard a cruise ship!

It's friggin' horrible!

Most cruise ships offer the same crappy concoction. Why is that?

The only time I can stand the crappy cruise ship stuff is during after-dinner sweets with cream (NOT the milk every assistant waiter always want to pawn off on me the first couple of sittings). The rest of the day, the coffee just plain sucks!

During a cruise I cannot help but WANT a good cup of coffee, so I experiment with different ways to create a good cup from bad stock. More water: doesn't help. More cream: doesn't help. Salt? no good! Bits of fish from the buffet: no good. I'm just kidding about a lot of this, but see how crazy things are when there isn't a decent cup of coffee for 28 or more days ;-)

I think it's worse in the buffet area--that HUGE urn just isn't the best way to make good coffee! I've found that the coffee in the dining room is MUCH better! And, I prefer breakfast in the dining room, anyway....nice to be SERVED, rather than the "do it yourself" buffet thing!

I agree that cruise ship coffee isn't very good, but it sure beats the really crappy airline coffee. Or whatever that brown stuff is that the tell you - with a straight face even - is coffee. :D

AND they usually go into that little bathroom to get the water or whatever. THAT alone makes me want to hurl. I NEVER drink airline coffee.

I too love a good cup of coffee my preference being a dark roast. Was on Jewel OTS Jan 09 and in addition to the generally good coffee at Lattetudes ($) I was impressed with some of the coffee in the Windjammer and all of the coffee in the dining room. The Windjammer has a number of new drip to urn coffee makers and they say they are using "Seattles Best". (One morning I saw them opening 1 lb bags of the stuff and filling the drip baskets!)

How is the coffee on the Norweigan Dawn - has anyone had it? I also love good coffee, especially in the morning. I don't understand why airlines can't serve a decent cup of coffee - here in Canada - we certainly pay a bundle for airline fares.

I read all the threads on how awful the coffee was and I bought a coffee press and brought my own coffee. I never needed to use it. I thought the coffee was just fine in the buffet. The dinning room the coffee was even better. Found it good on the princess and carnival. However the tea on princess tasted like the instant stuff, I had to stick to my coke card.

I read in a post somewhere on CC that a woman brought her own creamer. So I'm bringing with me French Vanilla Coffee Mate on my next cruise. NCL has mini-fridges so I'm very excited about this. It makes even crappy coffee taste like a treat.

Last time we were on the Golden Princess the coffee was terrible in the dining room.:eek: It was just okay at the buffet. I'll be on the Coral Princess in May and I am already dreading the coffee. Hope I'm wrong! I'm getting a coffee card just in case.

Hi, I am trying a new twist this time, I will be taking my own coffee bags, to dunk in hot water like tea. I figure its a small outlay, compared to paying US$ onboard for a 'coffee shop cuppa'.

You can also get Java Juice off the REI website or Amazon.com (Starbucks keeps delaying their Via Instant) Java Juice is in liquid packs you just pour in and add the hot water from Room Service or the buffet tables. It comes in flavors and regular roasts an I think decaf. Be quicker than steeping a bag and less messy than a french press.

Starbucks VIA has been available for weeks where I am. There is no decaf option available, though. Apparently they haven't been able to figure how how to make a decaf version that is acceptable. I use the VIA in cooking and I use it to make a Frappacino-like protein smoothie drink -- it's quite good and I'm considering taking it with me on the Star in May.

Starbucks VIA has been available for weeks where I am. There is no decaf option available, though. Apparently they haven't been able to figure how how to make a decaf version that is acceptable. I use the VIA in cooking and I use it to make a Frappacino-like protein smoothie drink -- it's quite good and I'm considering taking it with me on the Star in May.

Where are you? I've seen it on line, but then the intro offers got pulled. It's not in our local barristas here in No Florida; I'm told "soon but not too soon":confused:. So maybe I'll order it off the net with my SB card. Java Juice has a swiss water processed decaf. About $1.30 each on REI and $10+ shipping on Amazon.

Where are you? I've seen it on line, but then the intro offers got pulled. It's not in our local barristas here in No Florida; I'm told "soon but not too soon":confused:. So maybe I'll order it off the net with my SB card. Java Juice has a swiss water processed decaf. About $1.30 each on REI and $10+ shipping on Amazon.

I'm in Seattle. I had no idea this wasn't available in other areas. Hopefully you can order online. Thanks for the tip on the Java Juice decaf!

I read in a post somewhere on CC that a woman brought her own creamer. So I'm bringing with me French Vanilla Coffee Mate on my next cruise. NCL has mini-fridges so I'm very excited about this. It makes even crappy coffee taste like a treat.

I always do this myself. I purchase the little one serving tubs. They don't need to be refrigerated. They come in boxes of like 20 or so. I just grab a couple when I head out to breakfast. I'm addicted to the flavored creamer anyway, but I think it makes a world of difference with the mediocre coffee. Otherwise, I just purchase a cup at the coffee bar. $3 is worth it to me! I have to have a good cup of joe in the morning! ;)

F07-0206002-0100bg.jpg

Archived