One person take sick

messymarie

We have a cabin for three booked on the Ryndam in a month. One of the people in the cabin fell and broke her hip and can not make it. Shall we call H.A or wait until we get to the dock to tell them?

Sorry about your friend or family member. Are you not allowed to pay a fee and change to another passenger?

Since you know now, you should indeed tell HAL right away so that when they make up the ship's manifest for the Coast Guard and Homeland Security it will be correct. Do not wait until you arrive at the pier to do this:)
If the person who won't be able to make it has insurance, they'd better tell HAL now or else they may forfeit their reimbursement.

If they didn't have insurance, I guess it really doesn't matter much ... HAL can't put anyone else in that room anyway ... and the room is paid in full. However, it might be a good idea to have your TA check with HAL and find out the financial implications to the first two passengers of a cancellation on the part of the third person. Only if there is none would I authorize her to give HAL notice that the third passenger wasn't gonna be there. Otherwise, I'd just show up without the third passenger and play stupid when HAL asks where they are. HAL will just assume they got hung up in transit and missed the ship. I'm sure that happens all the time and is no big thing as far as the passenger manifest goes.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Since you know now, you should indeed tell HAL right away so that when they make up the ship's manifest for the Coast Guard and Homeland Security it will be correct. Do not wait until you arrive at the pier to do this:)
There has been some talk on these boards before, though, about HAL charging the remaining people in the cabin more money if someone doesn't go ... even though the cabin is paid for. Still doesn't make sense to me, but if that's the case, maybe the OP might be better off just showing up and pleading ignorance as to where the other passenger is. Of course, HAL will just assume they got hung up and missed the ship.

I'm assuming with three in the cabin, everyone paid less money. If the OP informs HAL ahead of time, and assuming the other threads on this topic were correct, then HAL is gonna assess an additional payment from the first and second passengers in the cabin, since the third one didn't show.

I'd first find out if there will be any financial impact as a result of the third passenger cancelling, and if so, I'd just show up at the pier and look dumb when they don't show.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I hope it hasnt changed too many of your plans for the trip. If you need reimbursement/insurance, then you should notify HAL..

Also that your friend gets better soon...

Were the three of you to share one cabin?

S7S, the first line of the OP's post was that the cabin was booked for three people.

:D:D:D

Do you really believe that HAL will ASSUME someone got hung-up in transit when you have booked a room together and two of you get there and you play "stupid" as suggested? Would the third person not fly to the next port IF they were actually planning to go on the cruise? I would bet that OP would not be the first person to try this deception.

If nothing else, if HAL folks read these board as many posters hope, they will read of plans and suggestion for such actions to get around rules.

messymarie,

The same type of thing happened to me about a month ago. My mother-in-law became ill suddenly and DIDN'T have insurance.

I called my TA and we ended up paying $228 to change my MIL's name to my sister's name. This worked for us since she wasn't entitled to any refund without insurance. My sister paid the $228 and was thrilled to go.

If your person did have insurance then hurry up and get a claim in:)

Good luck

Karen

There has been some talk on these boards before, though, about HAL charging the remaining people in the cabin more money if someone doesn't go ... even though the cabin is paid for. Still doesn't make sense to me, but if that's the case, maybe the OP might be better off just showing up and pleading ignorance as to where the other passenger is. Of course, HAL will just assume they got hung up and missed the ship.

I believe most of that talk has been when two people are sharing a room and one cancels, now leaving a single person in the room. In this case, its three sharing a room, so the room would still be double occupancy. I would think this is a slightly different case.

In my case there were only two people sharing the room and one didn't show up. The other person is not required to pay more money, they just aren't receiving any type of refund. If they have insurance and received a refund then that's a different story.

HAL told me straight out that if 2 are in a cabin and one is a noshow, nothing happens if the noshow has received no refund.

Karen

In my case there were only two people sharing the room and one didn't show up. The other person is not required to pay more money, they just aren't receiving any type of refund. If they have insurance and received a refund then that's a different story.

HAL told me straight out that if 2 are in a cabin and one is a noshow, nothing happens if the noshow has received no refund.

Karen

I think that the problem has occured when two people shared a cabin, cruiser A and cruiser B. B cancels, with no insurance and gets no refund. Cruise A is now travelling alone. Since B cancelled, A is now charged the single supplement.

So, the advice has been, if one cruiser can not go, and has no insurance, and no substitute passenger can be found, it may be best to let B simply be a no-show. He/she won't get any money back anyway, and it saves A the single supplement.

But then, this has never happened to me, so I can't say from personal experience exactly what would happen.

Paul

I'm assuming with three in the cabin, everyone paid less money.
Not exactly. I think usually two of the people pay the regular rate for double occupancy, and the 3rd (or 4th) pay ridiculously low fares, like $99 pp for the entire cruise. If that's the case in this case, even with no insurance the total loss to the pax that can't make it is $99 - IF s/he was the 3rd person. I don't know what happens if it is the 1st or 2nd person on the booking that can't go.

We were faced with this two weeks ago. the second party was very ill. HAL said the first one must pay additional single suppliment if second party cancelled. Thank goodness, that person didn't cancel as they recovered and will be sailing after all. The first person was just going to show up on their own. Glad this isn't happening, and they are now packing for their cruise.

We were faced with this two weeks ago. the second party was very ill. HAL said the first one must pay additional single suppliment if second party cancelled. Thank goodness, that person didn't cancel as they recovered and will be sailing after all. The first person was just going to show up on their own. Glad this isn't happening, and they are now packing for their cruise.
But the OP is talking about a 3rd person cancelling, and I believe that is substantially different.

Archived