What are good buys in Cozumel at the pier??

dixie54

Thanks for any info!

Actually the liquor store there is quite reasonable. Yes you can find a little cheaper in town but it's still a pretty good deal at the pier. If you don't drink, then disregard this post.

Happy sailings1

Thanks for any info!

We bought a couple of great face wood carvings (one just natural color, the other multi-coloured) at one of the stalls before getting back on the ship, reasonably priced, plus some unusual Aztec-style coasters

for tequila, visit one of the the tequilaria in town, and there is lovely pottery and glassware in shops dotted along the promenade, plus, the compulsory Mexican hat!

We enjoyed Cozumel better than any port on our Western Caribbean itinerary, very colourful and vibrant town.

Don't be put off by the vendors trying to lure you into their shops - a polite no thank you and a wave of the hand is enough

Have fun :)

Viva Mexico on the main thrust is one of the most popular souvenir shops, and also has a restaurant above where the waiters are funny and dress everyone in huge sombreros

Pure Vanilla for $10 a liter some as little as $9 a liter.

Thats a steal!

That is the only thing DW gets off the ship to buy. After 5 or 6 stops in Cozumel there isn't anything left she wants to do. We are not binge drinkers so the local bars don't hold any entertainment for us. Don't know what to think of adults who get sloppy drunk in these places. Ridiculous comes to mind.

Just my opinion, but nothing really. I was there in August on the Liberty and other than alcohol (the ship didn't carry Absolut Mandarin, so I bought it in port) I found the vendors to be slightly aggressive (as per any port typically) and the merchandise on offer was found repetitively in nearly every single store and the quality was not that great. That being said, there were wooden carved items, some leather goods, and the typical t-shirts, bags etc with Cozumel and Mexico written on them.

If you miss this port--shopping wise--I wouldn't consider it a big deal.

Just my opinion, many others may have found great things to buy, I did not, that's all.

Thanks for any info!

Right by the pier where you get off there is a jewelry store where we bought 3 Movado watches last Christmas. The price is the same anywhere you go - Movado does not allow "bargaining" or they can lose their license, but they seemed to have the best selection.

Just my opinion, but nothing really. I was there in August on the Liberty and other than alcohol (the ship didn't carry Absolut Mandarin, so I bought it in port) I found the vendors to be slightly aggressive (as per any port typically) and the merchandise on offer was found repetitively in nearly every single store and the quality was not that great. That being said, there were wooden carved items, some leather goods, and the typical t-shirts, bags etc with Cozumel and Mexico written on them.

If you miss this port--shopping wise--I wouldn't consider it a big deal.

Just my opinion, many others may have found great things to buy, I did not, that's all.

I found the alcohol prices on the ship to be cheaper. I don't drink liquor but I wanted to buy some tequila for a friend. For the bottle size I was looking at it was $55 in port and $48 on the ship for Patron.

Which way should you walk??:)

When you go into town, you'll see a lot of shops on the main road (along the shore). "Off the beaten path" is any of the side streets. We like to bargain, and haggle, and found that as soon as we walked 20m off the main road down a side street with vendors, they were all about bargaining. We bought some beautiful Mexican blankets (hey, you gotta buy them at least once! :D), and some touristy souveniers. We did buy a few bottles of pure vanilla, and some chipotle seasoning, but since those were food items, we bought those at the main stream stores.

One thing we DID find cheaper at the shops right at the pier than in the main shopping area in town: a high quality sombrero (don't ask :)).

If you love shopping, and have never been to Cozumel, you'll love it!

I found the alcohol prices on the ship to be cheaper. I don't drink liquor but I wanted to buy some tequila for a friend. For the bottle size I was looking at it was $55 in port and $48 on the ship for Patron.

I completely agree. I compared prices in Cozumel vs. the ship and the ship was a few dollars cheaper, but they didn't have Absolut Mandarin, so I bought it in Cozumel. Sooooo, I guess the lesson from these posts is:

Buy your bottles of liquor onboard!:D They're cheaper than in the ports (generally)

Great buys - T shirts

Place to get ripped off - Elite Jewelers

When I sailed Carnival, they really pushed the International Diamonds (I think that was the place)... wow. They even had a "cozumel shopping" seminar in the ship theatre the day before we arrived. We actually attended it, but realized quickly that it was more of an endorsement for a select group of local businesses.

I didn't buy, but was real tempted at one of the small jewelery vendors on the right side of the pier. Sterling silver (stamped) cufflinks with malachite(glossy green) tops were bargained down to $30 and I had the feeling you could walk away with them for $20. For sterling cufflinks that's a deal.

When I sailed Carnival, they really pushed the International Diamonds (I think that was the place)... wow. They even had a "cozumel shopping" seminar in the ship theatre the day before we arrived. We actually attended it, but realized quickly that it was more of an endorsement for a select group of local businesses.

I had the same experience last year on the Legend. They even had a special insert on our compass for this location. I guess Carnival was getting a piece of the pie.

It's been a few years, but I found a little shop right at the pier (in sort of a little mall) that had a great assortment of sterling earrings for $5-10 a pair. Hope it hadn't been wiped out in the hurricane!

Now I understand that it "may or may not" be sterling, even if stamped. I was so looking forward to going back to Mexico in April and buying more sterling jewelry!! Guess I'll save my money!

Archived