$19.99 mask/snorkel at Target?

jan6182

Anyone make this purchase, or something similar at Wal-mart or another big box store?? I don't want to make the investment now in fancy stuff, as it's only our second snorkel experience. An experienced diving friend told me about the mask test (breathe in through nose, mask should stick to face), but this stuff at Target is wrapped. Guess I could test at home, and maybe return if it doesn't work...

Any thoughts, ideas, or websites with snorkel gear under $30 (mask and snorkel) would be appreciated!

Anyone make this purchase, or something similar at Wal-mart or another big box store?? I don't want to make the investment now in fancy stuff, as it's only our second snorkel experience. An experienced diving friend told me about the mask test (breathe in through nose, mask should stick to face), but this stuff at Target is wrapped. Guess I could test at home, and maybe return if it doesn't work...

Any thoughts, ideas, or websites with snorkel gear under $30 (mask and snorkel) would be appreciated!

Other than a pool, I wouldn't trust it. Try searching "snorkel gear" ,divers supply, or divers direct. If you spend under $30 and it leaks or strap breaks, its money wasted, for the gear and the trip.

You get what you pay for. As someone mentioned above, a cheap mask can have things like straps break the first time you use them.

Also, a cheap mask crammed in a tight bag with fins and snorkel for 6 months at the store can have the material kink/fold/bend so that it won't seal. Of course, you could return it if you saw that right away.

Amazon sells a lot of those packages. Look for "Free supersaver shipping" in the description, and you'll get free shipping. Above all, read the reviews, don't just look at the star rating. I saw some reviews that were 4 or 5 stars, but in the text they said the strap broke first use, or the snorkel/mask leaked, the fin ankle strap broke. So do read what the reviewer says.

Another option is to look for sales on line. I purchased a couple of $55.00 retail masks from http://www.leisurepro.com for under $15.00 a piece. These were name brand masks (Mares). Actually, I bought the first one for my wife, and liked it so well, I purchased another for myself. They were so good to deal with that I ended up buying a wet suit for my wife as well. They advertise a great return policy, although I have never had to try it. I am sure there are plenty of other reputable on line stores as well where you can get quality equipment at close to Wal-Mart prices.

GO FOR IT!!!!

New silicone masks are very forgiving. They will last for five years with just a fresh water wash after each use. Even with my good mask, I do pack a couple of replacement straps just in case.

The most important thing is the fit.

Put the strap in front of the mask stick the mask on your face without using the strap and take a short breath through your nose. The mask should stick in place and not pop off if you tap it on the top or sides.

Next pull the strap up and over the back of your head relax your breath and check for any pressure point. A little pain now will be a big pain after wearing it for a half an hour. You shouldn't have to pull the straps tight just firm.

Next jump in the tub with the snorkel and the mask and see how they feel and work. No leaks, no pain, no problem man!

If it doesn't feel great TAKE IT BACK! That's why we put up with Walmart & Target we can return their cheap Chinese plastic! Note when you go back to the store check the masks they come in different sizes. Try a kids big or a womens small or any other combination till you find one you like.

Starting with a cheap mask is no problem. A new Walmart Mask is ten times better than a 10 year old dive mask.

Enjoy yourself!

make sure to buy a "dry" snorkel.

I recently was shopping for gear. Many-many reviews of different dry snorkels had the same complaint: When a person popped back up to the surface, the valve stuck. In the case of newbis, it caused panic. Because of that, I chose one with wave deflection, but not dry. If the OP is a newbi, he may want to consider that.

I recently was shopping for gear. Many-many reviews of different dry snorkels had the same complaint: When a person popped back up to the surface, the valve stuck. In the case of newbis, it caused panic. Because of that, I chose one with wave deflection, but not dry. If the OP is a newbi, he may want to consider that.

Yes, I am fairly new to snorkeling (only 2x before). I don't know what you mean about a stuck valve, and panic!

Yes, I am fairly new to snorkeling (only 2x before). I don't know what you mean about a stuck valve, and panic!

I hope I didn't paint myself as some sort of an expert, because I'm not. Gear has changed a lot since I used to snorkel. I was commenting on the many reviews I have read about dry snorkels. Perhaps it's like most things, where you get quality for a premium.

Apparently what happens is some sort of valve closes when you dive under the water. This keeps water out of your snorkel. When you pop back up, and attempt to take a breath, some of these snorkels are (for some reason) having the valves remain closed. You breath, nothing happens. A newbi may panic, and open his mouth and suck sea water instead of just sticking his head up out of the water.

I used to snorkel a whole heck of a lot. All we had then was the old J shaped snorkels without valves or any way to purge them except blowing hard, or lifting your head up and emptying them. So I decided I wasn't going to bother with a dry snorkel, but that's me.

Just my two cents.:rolleyes:

If you are just going out for some recreational fun a couple times a year, keep it simple. Dry Snorkels are expensive and finicky.

A basic snorkel is just a "J" shaped tube with a comfortable mouth piece.

Next step up will have some slits and angled plastic at the top of the tube to keep the waves from splashing in. Nice addition.

Next step up will have a small one way silicone valve below the mouth piece at the bottom of the tube. When a small amount of water builds up in the tube a short PUFF of air will force the valve open expelling the water. I love this feature since it allows me to keep my head underwater and relaxed for longer periods. when you are viewing fish being able to stay horizontal, relaxed and with your eyes on the prize is the goal. If you have to keep popping up vertically to clear your snorkel you will lose track of the fish and scare them away with your dangling legs kicking to keep you vertical.

The next "Improvement" is a Valve at the top of the tube that seals the top closed if you submerge. Unless you can afford a top end snorkel and do a lot of snorkeling this is not necessary.

A good fitting mask, a simple snorkel and short fins will be great for a starter. The important thing is to get your head in the water and enjoy the pretty fish. You don't need a hundred dollar snorkel for that.

Check this tutorial out: http://www.usdivers.com/pages/howtosnorkel_intro.html

HAVE FUN!

Walmart has a US Divers kit for $29.99, it includes the short TREK fins and thier ICON mask with snorkel & Bag

It is NOT avaliable on Walmart on line

I found similar kits selling for $39.99

http://www.sunandski.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=0848067890900

This is a perfect kit for occasional snorkelers

Hey, even if it's low end and might not be an absolute perfect fit, it will still be tons better than rental equipment from the shack on the beach or ship that has been used by 300 people previously! You're not diving for the Navy, just checking out the fishies right? Can always upgrade when you want to spend more money and have the time to visit some scuba stores. :)

Walmart has a US Divers kit for $29.99, it includes the short TREK fins and thier ICON mask with snorkel & Bag

It is NOT avaliable on Walmart on line

I found similar kits selling for $39.99

http://www.sunandski.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=0848067890900

This is a perfect kit for occasional snorkelers

And I did a quick two minute check on some internet dive shops and Diversdirect.com has a snorkel/mask set for $29.99. It's much better than what you might find at a "big box" store. Do a little "googling" and you can find better quality masks and snorkels at reduced and clearance prices.

Randall

Great video, thanks, why do you have to put the snorkle on your left, does it matter?

Two reasons:

1) Tradition, scuba divers have their regulator hose come over their right shoulder so you don't get tangled if your snorkel is on the left.

2) Some manufacturers make their snorkels to fit on the left by the angle of the mouth piece, put it on the right and it's upside down, very uncomfortable and the grip is wrong.

Randall

I think that kit from Walmart should suit you just fine, but if I were you I'd visit a local dive shop. Try on a few masks and research some snorkels and then head home and visit www.leisurepro.com. I buy all my scuba gear from this site. Equipment is good at a cost more affordable than dive shops. I'm thinking you can get a good set at under $30.

Good luck and happy snorkeling!

Eddie

• 2 months later...

Anyone know if you can get a good basic snorkeling package for the very casual snorkeler at some of the sporting goods stores like Dick's or the Sports Authority? I see that Dick's is advertising a sale this week. Thanks!

Anyone know if you can get a good basic snorkeling package for the very casual snorkeler at some of the sporting goods stores like Dick's or the Sports Authority? I see that Dick's is advertising a sale this week. Thanks!

I purchased me and my husband snorkel gear from Sports Authority for around 15.00 a piece. Its a Body Glove set and we've used them multiple times so far without any problems

Hope this helps you :)

if it's a one time thing, then I wouldn't worry about it. But if you plan on making more of a hobby with it or plan to "graduate" into scuba, spend the cash now and get the good stuff. But as someone above said, definitely get the dry snorkel. . .

I dove several years with the "cheap set" of mask, snorkel and fins that I bought at either Academy or the predecessor of Sports Authority. The important thing is how the equipment fits, not how much it costs. And I have never used a dry snorkel, but would recommend one with a purge valve as they are much easier to clear.

I am new to snorkeling just having done it twice on our last cruise a year ago. We are planning another cruise at the end of June and I would love to snorkel again! The problem I experienced was with the mouthpiece on the snorkel. I was using the tour companies equipment both times and had such a problem with the mouthpieces because I have an extremely small mouth for an adult. I was thinking that perhaps I should buy a child's or junior snorkel for our next trip but looking at some of the available snorkels they talk about the silicon swivel mouthpieces so I'm wondering if the new equipment is better suited for adjusting that some of the equipment I used on my tours- based on comments in this thread that a lot of this equipment is older.

Any help on this from you guys who know about snorkels would be great!

Thanks!

The best thing to do, in my unprofessional opinion, is find a local dive shop and go in and talk to them. Yea, you might pay more than the $19.99 (I think I paid $44 for mine (ultra-low profile, dry snorkel with purge valve) - but I plan on using mine later on for scuba certification as well.

The dive-shop I dealt with has a web presence and the snorkel price range went from $6.95 to $44.95. But, like many items that are personal (like clothes) it is best to go in and get a feel for them. No, you wont be able to put it in your mouth, but you will get the feel for the weight of it and most if not all dive shops have different third party mouth pieces that can be interchanged with the factory mouth piece. I have found some that are a little larger, but you use hot water to mold it to your mouth, much like a mouth guard football players and fighters wear. The molding helps it fit better and the larger size helps in better air flow.

Archived