does carnival pack lunch boxes for tours?

pbc1

Please all remember that there is a difference between the cruise ship rules which are vastly simplified (NO FOOD OFF SHIP) in part to cover all countries and regulations, and the laws of the countries visited. The actual laws are far more complex and far less restrictive. Baked goods, for example, are almost always fine to bring in. And by fine, I mean lawful and not in the least bit dangerous. So perhaps some of the pontificating about destroying the world should be turned down. Many nasties travel with the wind and the weather, or on the ship itself. A good example of this is the brown snake infestation in Guam which has taken out much of the bird population in the island. Brought in in the wheel well of a plane. Bugs are quite happy to fly off the ship all by themselves to nibble on the goodies on shore.

Please all remember that there is a difference between the cruise ship rules which are vastly simplified (NO FOOD OFF SHIP) in part to cover all countries and regulations, and the laws of the countries visited. The actual laws are far more complex and far less restrictive. Baked goods, for example, are almost always fine to bring in. And by fine, I mean lawful and not in the least bit dangerous. So perhaps some of the pontificating about destroying the world should be turned down. Many nasties travel with the wind and the weather, or on the ship itself. A good example of this is the brown snake infestation in Guam which has taken out much of the bird population in the island. Brought in in the wheel well of a plane. Bugs are quite happy to fly off the ship all by themselves to nibble on the goodies on shore.

Are you saying that people should conduct themselves as reasonably intelligent adults, OR are you saying that they can just IGNORE the rules, WHATEVER they are.

And if its reasonable intelligence you're expecting, watch America's Funniest Videos or ANY so-called "REALITY" show just once, and you will be CERTAIN that the intelligence hope is stillborn.

So I guess you are advocating chaos!

Dan

Are you saying that people should conduct themselves as reasonably intelligent adults, OR are you saying that they can just IGNORE the rules, WHATEVER they are.

And if its reasonable intelligence you're expecting, watch America's Funniest Videos or ANY so-called "REALITY" show just once, and you will be CERTAIN that the intelligence hope is stillborn.

Dan

oh crap, we have tornados here...did a butterfly flap its wings in Australia???:p :D

Dan I am pretty sure waldos is advocating common sense...either that or he hasn't watched "My Big Fat Redneck Wedding"! :eek: :D

Dan

Oh lord- hope springs eternal. I avoid reality shows (ok, except I watched Survivor for years since they once showed my old house and some friends on one episode). Is it really too much to imagine that people could conduct themselves as intelligent adults?

Oh lord- hope springs eternal. I avoid reality shows (ok, except I watched Survivor for years since they once showed my old house and some friends on one episode). Is it really too much to imagine that people could conduct themselves as intelligent adults?

soooooo, you really haven't seen "My Big Fat Redneck Wedding"...:eek: ;) :D

YES, it really is too much to expect.

Want proof?

WASHINGTON D.C.

Need any more?

Dan

SORRY I ASKED THIS QUESTION :o i GUESS WE WILL JUST BUY SOME LUNCH SOMEWHERE! DID NOT MEAN TO START A CONTROVERSY:rolleyes:

Sorry, but I had to chuckle when I read this thread and your comment above. My thoughts are that I am happy as heck I didn't start this thread because I would have truly been lamblasted.

Can I ask a question? How do the cruise ships take food on Half Moon without risking infestation? I have always been curious about this. Does anyone know? Is it different because it's a private island?

And no, I'm not being sarcastic...I'm curious.

The simple answer is NO. Most places it would be illegal for ANY cruiseline to do this. For a passenger to smuggle food off the ship is........."Smuggling!"

If a tour is of a duration requiring lunch, it would be at a local eatery.

[Private Islands excepted as the crew brings food from the ship and cooks it on the island.]

Dan

This is really not true. All of the luxury lines provide picnic lunches for their passengers to take off the ship in many ports. There are some places that prohibit bringing food off the ships, including Mexico, but most islands have no such restrictions, this is simply another urban legend.

Exactly! Everyone should look. isn't that the point?

Not only should everyone look, everyone should abide once they do look.

In the case of a cruise no looking needs to be done. It's simple. Nothing unpackaged comes off the ship. As for coming home, off the ship, the US customs papers give an entire list of what can't come into the country. It's pretty basic.

Please be aware that this is a ship rule, not a local rule. Each port has its own regulations, some allow all types of food to be brought in others allow nothing, most are somewhere in between. Ships say nothing allowed off because they are too lazy to educate people who don't read or listen, not because the local laws prohibit it.

Uh...I'm not sure I have ever even HEARD of it. Is it real? (And PS- I'm a her, not a him, but this mistake is made all the time.)

ooops, sorry about that :o

I ran across that show one night when I was channel surfing...it's on CMT, I believe...it's kind of like a bad car wreck, you know you're not supposed to look but you can't help it...:o :D

I received an email a while back labelled redneck wedding...it was a powerpoint slide show of a wedding in Georgia...IN A WAFFLE HOUSE!!! :eek:

This is really not true. All of the luxury lines provide picnic lunches for their passengers to take off the ship in many ports. There are some places that prohibit bringing food off the ships, including Mexico, but most islands have no such restrictions, this is simply another urban legend.

Where do you get your information? Do you even look things up before speaking? Read my following posts to understand that it is indeed prohibited in most of the Caribbean...you are wrong.

This is from US Customs:

Customs -- What You Can Bring Into the U.S.V.I. Every visitor more than 21 years of age may bring in, free of duty, the following: (1) 1 liter of wine or hard liquor; (2) 200 cigarettes, 100 cigars (but not from Cuba), or 3 pounds of smoking tobacco; and (3) $100 worth of gifts. These exemptions are offered to travelers who spend at least 72 hours in the United States and who have not claimed them within the preceding 6 months. It is altogether forbidden to bring into the country foodstuffs (particularly fruit, cooked meats, and canned goods) and plants (vegetables, seeds, tropical plants, and the like). Foreign tourists may carry in or out up to $10,000 in U.S. or foreign currency with no formalities; larger sums must be declared to U.S. Customs on entering or leaving, which includes filing form CM 4790. For details regarding U.S. Customs and Border Protection, consult your nearest U.S. embassy or consulate, or U.S. Customs (tel. 202/927-1770; http://www.customs.ustreas.gov).

Rules for Mexico:

Bringing Food, Plants, and Animals into Mexico

National Health Services of Mexico (SENASICA) has guidelines on what is allowed, regulated and prohibited to bring across the border. The following is an overview of some of those items. Detailed information can be found on the SENASICA website.

Allowed Imports

• Smoking tobacco
  • Leather products, except for endangered species like wild lamb, jaguar, black bear, etc.
  • Honey
  • Dogs and cats (a maximum of two per traveler) with health certificates and rabies vaccine records. Visit our "Traveling with Pets in Mexico" guide for more information.
  • Roasted coffee, dried prunes, packaged spices, dried herbs, preserved fruits and vegetables cooked or dried mushrooms and dried truffles.
  • Dry cooked, packed and bottled foods
  • From the USA and Canada: refrigerated, frozen, vacuum packed, pork and processed vacuum packed pate, milk and cheese. All must be in the original package and properly labeled.

Regulated Imports - there are special requirements for these products

• Poultry and poultry products
  • Wild plants and hunt trophies
  • Rabbits, ferrets, hamsters, etc.
  • Hide
  • Seeds, seedlings, fresh plant parts, etc.
  • Plants, fresh fruit, vegetables, flowers, raw cereals, etc.
  • Dairy products
  • Bees and bees' products (except honey)
  • Fresh, dried, canned, smoked or frozen meat and meat products from quarantined countries
  • Flours like corn meal, etc.
  • Veterinary medications and biological products
  • Agricultural chemicals and raw materials

Prohibited Imports

• Soil
  • Bales of hay, natural straw or any straw decoration
  • Homemade food items
  • Meal of bone or meat

Grand Cayman:

Importing food into Cayman

Some discussions group encourage people to take their own pre-packed (sealed) food to Cayman in freezer bags or ice chests. The Tourist Board advise that visitors are allowed to bring meat into the islands, but you may be charged duty if the value is over US$35 per person, or the quantity exceeds what customs consider to a reasonable amount for personal consumption. Meat should be preferably be packed and sealed as sold in supermarkets, and may have to be inspected by an official from the Department of Agriculture.

updated.gif The ban on the importation of US bone-in meats imposed in December 2003 following a case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE or 'mad-cow disease') has been lifted. Personal imports of meat up to 5kg for personal consumption will now be allowed providing the original packaging is intact and the packaging bears the USDA inspection legend.

When I checked with the Department of Agriculture ( greenbut.gifemail.gif ciagric@candw.ky ) on the general rules for importing foods, they sent me three Word 97 documents. The first was an application form for the importation of plants and the other two were the rules and regulations on the importation of plants and plant products and meat and meat products. Here are the links to these documents: greenbut.gifImportation of Plants and Plant Products

greenbut.gifImportation of Meat and Meat Products Check under Employment/jobs/residency in Cayman above for the price of some basic foodstuffs from the supermarkets on the island.

Can I ask a question? How do the cruise ships take food on Half Moon without risking infestation? I have always been curious about this. Does anyone know? Is it different because it's a private island?

And no, I'm not being sarcastic...I'm curious.

Basically, yes. The cruiseline has control over the food and the trash created while on Half Moon Cay. Each ship has an environmental officer who is responsible for how garbage is disposed of and as far as I know everything brought off the ship is brought back onto the ship afterwards. You can't say that about ports where people aren't limited to where they can go and how they dispose of their garbage/uneaten or partially eaten food. Also, Half Moon Cay is an island that doesn't produce any crops or livestock so it's limited impact even if something made it off the ship.

And for those that ask about having to pay for a meal, you don't. There's nothing stopping someone from going back aboard the ship to eat a meal.

ooops, sorry about that :o

Not a problem- it really does happen a lot

I ran across that show one night when I was channel surfing...it's on CMT, I believe...it's kind of like a bad car wreck, you know you're not supposed to look but you can't help it...:o :D

I'll confess to having done the same- there are some shows so compellingly awful you just can't help yourself!

I received an email a while back labelled redneck wedding...it was a powerpoint slide show of a wedding in Georgia...IN A WAFFLE HOUSE!!! :eek:

Memories are made of such moments. I guess.

Please be aware that this is a ship rule, not a local rule. Each port has its own regulations, some allow all types of food to be brought in others allow nothing, most are somewhere in between. Ships say nothing allowed off because they are too lazy to educate people who don't read or listen, not because the local laws prohibit it.

All I am trying to say is that it would be best if everyone were aware...in general.

if you're on a ship, try to be aware of the rules

if you're in a foreign country, try to be aware of rules, customs etc.

It's just the right thing to do, don't you think?

I don't see it as laziness, I see it as the best way to deal with people who don't bother to pay any attention. This way, all bases are covered and there can basically be no room for argument.

I don't see it as laziness, I see it as the best way to deal with people who don't bother to pay any attention. This way, all bases are covered and there can basically be no room for argument.

I mostly agree. Also, the cruise ships go to many ports and to have to adjust their rules each time would be really confusing. So make the most restrictive the general rule- that way you are certain to meet or exceed each countries laws. Besides- eating local food is half the fun of travel to my mind. I can't wait to get to Jamaica to try some genuine jerk! And breadfruit is in season! And Red Stripe is local! Fresh fish- local Mexican- oh the joys of eating! Just remember- no water or ice cubes! They'll do you in every time.

Where do you get your information? Do you even look things up before speaking? Read my following posts to understand that it is indeed prohibited in most of the Caribbean...you are wrong.

This is from US Customs:

Customs -- What You Can Bring Into the U.S.V.I. Every visitor more than 21 years of age may bring in, free of duty, the following: (1) 1 liter of wine or hard liquor; (2) 200 cigarettes, 100 cigars (but not from Cuba), or 3 pounds of smoking tobacco; and (3) $100 worth of gifts. These exemptions are offered to travelers who spend at least 72 hours in the United States and who have not claimed them within the preceding 6 months. It is altogether forbidden to bring into the country foodstuffs (particularly fruit, cooked meats, and canned goods) and plants (vegetables, seeds, tropical plants, and the like). Foreign tourists may carry in or out up to $10,000 in U.S. or foreign currency with no formalities; larger sums must be declared to U.S. Customs on entering or leaving, which includes filing form CM 4790. For details regarding U.S. Customs and Border Protection, consult your nearest U.S. embassy or consulate, or U.S. Customs (tel. 202/927-1770; www.customs.ustreas.gov).

Another one to the ignore list.

Archived