Any Qualms About Visiting Mexican Ports?

jhannah

Was at Bunco with a bunch of my GF's last Monday- one of them visits their parents who are down in the Gulf of California area. When she called to arrange a visit, her folks told them not to come down there. It wasn't safe. They live in a safe area in Mexico too.

Over half of us either cruise or vacation in Mexico on a very regular basis, and only one has plans to go down there right now.

Yes, it's a drug war. But there are innocent victims, public violence and kidnappings. Did anyone see 60 minutes last night?

I have always felt safe in Mexico, if we went on an overnight trip to the Guadeloupe Valley for wine tours, or sunning and snorkeling for the day at Santa Maria Beach, virtually alone, or walking in Acapulco.

But I wouldn't go right now.

Of all the places I have traveled I usually feel safest in Mexico. Cabo, Mazatlan, and PV were all stops on our last cruise, we had a great time.

Absolutely Frank!

We have been to all 3 of those ports 2x in the last 6 months. We never had a problem but we were always aware to stay on the beaten path!

I would have no fear going back to those ports again and hope to soon!

Lines like RCI and Carnival continue to make weekly stops at Ensenada, BC on their 3 and 4-day cruises out of L.A./Long Beach and offer shorex' to out of town places like La Bufadora. Have not heard anything about an incease in violence versus cruise ship pax there

I tend to think it is probably okay too....but those ships disembark into Ensenada during the day. I think my main concern is not arriving until 8pm and leaving at midnight. Sort of the hour that nogoodniks lurk about. Still, if I hit the dock at noon and had a Shorex to La Bufadora....I would go. I love it there.

I tend to think it is probably okay too....but those ships disembark into Ensenada during the day. I think my main concern is not arriving until 8pm and leaving at midnight. Sort of the hour that nogoodniks lurk about. Still, if I hit the dock at noon and had a Shorex to La Bufadora....I would go. I love it there.

If you are stopping in Ensenada on the return Hawaii trip from 8-Midnight, don't worry. You can just walk off the ship a few feet and walk around a small shopping area. It is very safe as long as you don't wander into town on your own.

I have to sat that I agree with those of you who would not hesitate to stop in Mexico. We all have our own problems with Drugs and Thugs in our own communities. As for the media telling me what to do; if I listened to them, I would have built a concrete bunker in my backyard and not come out till the sky had finished falling.

I had little desire to go on a Mexican cruise and I have even less now.

Why should I go there when there are so many other destinations such as Hawaii, Alaska, Europe and the Caribbean where one has to concern oneself far less for one's safety?

IMO - The US and Mexico should just legalize and tax all drugs as we do alcohol. We could certainly use the revenue now and save money on the prisons by freeing the non-violent drug offenders, and as I read someplace: Tequila manufacturers don't go around kidnapping and killing one another...

You want ALL drugs to be legalized ???

You want to make it even easier for these scumbags to get a hold of this crap.

I had little desire to go on a Mexican cruise and I have even less now.

Why should I go there when there are so many other destinations such as Hawaii, Alaska, Europe and the Caribbean where one has to concern oneself far less for one's safety?

IMO - The US and Mexico should just legalize and tax all drugs as we do alcohol. We could certainly use the revenue now and save money on the prisons by freeing the non-violent drug offenders, and as I read someplace: Tequila manufacturers don't go around kidnapping and killing one another...

Brian

If all drugs were legalized,at what age would you recommend that our youngsters be allowed to use crystal meth or crack cocaine?

Is age 18 too young or should they wait until age 21?

Rich

This is the most rational thread I have seen on this subject. The Carnival board must have 5 or 6, almost fearful to the point of irrational, doom and gloom, threads.

Here is an article from today's LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,3441309.story

Basically, it says --stay in the tourist areas and you are going to be OK. The drug cartels are after each other not the tourists.

If Americans would stop buying imported illicit drugs, we would not have this problem. The key is to buy American illicit drugs:rolleyes:

As pointed out before you can get robbed (or worse) anywhere. Just be aware of your surroundings.

Been to Ensenada in Jan, Feb and going back in a few weeks. I have seen a good number of police and the only problems I have seen has been too many drunk tourists at the bars. But, I have been there in the daytime.

Acapulco can be dangerous, be very careful there. The other ports seem to be fine.

Last month, we were in port in Acapulco. One of our dinner table mates was injured in town as she was taking photos. A guy cut came out of nowhere, cut the camera wrist strap and pushed her.

Woody

Right now, I live 35 miles NW of the current Murder Capital of the U.S., Chicago, the contender for the 2016 Summer Olympics.

Next year, the title will be handed off to another large city.

Makes me wonder if other countries have travel advisories about the U.S.

You should check-out their foreign affairs websites - advice to travelers.

Here is one from Canada:

Street crime can spill over into commercial, hotel, and entertainment areas. Riots occasionally occur; these are usually confined to the poorer districts of major cities, but the violence can spread to central commercial and hotel areas. Full cooperation is recommended when stopped by police.

FLORIDA

Attacks on tourists have decreased, but violent crime remains a serious concern. Criminals have demonstrated that they will use violence with little or no provocation. Many attacks have occurred in the Miami area, and others have taken place on rural roads and at interstate highway rest areas. Some rest areas have dusk to dawn security on site (which is indicated on the highway sign). Proceed cautiously when exiting from a freeway (including Interstate 95) into large urban centres, especially after dusk. Theft has increased, particularly from trunks of parked cars in the North Miami Beach area, South Beach and at airports. Be alert, as criminals use a variety of techniques to steal personal belongings.

Not terribly scary. :eek:

Archived