How much do tiy tip the porters when you board the ship??

dixie54

I tip precisely zero every time, I wheel my own stuff onboard. I'd sooner burn my singles than give it to the longshoremen at the pier.

And why is that? Whether they are union members or not should not be any of your business. What matters is that they are acting as a porter and perfoming a service for you that is typically one that you tip for just like you would tip a porter at a hotel or anywhere else.

I have always received very good service from the porters at the Pier. I tip $ 5 for one or two bags. I do not question how much they make an hour and/or if they live on tips only. I tip when I receive good service. I also remember that ALL my clothes are in that suitcase :o)

I usually do not tip the porters. They are not working for tips like your waiters and room stewards on the ship. The porters earn very good salaries and have great benefits (they are unionized and some earn six figures without a dime in tips). Taking your luggage is what they are being paid to do. At Port of Miami there are numerous signs stating that it is not necessary to tip the porters. I tip my waiter, assistant waiter, and room steward generously, but do not generally tip someone who is simply carrying out their normal job duty that they receive a generous salary to do. IMHO tipping the porters is akin to tipping your dentist.

It is righte that tipping is not nessesary. I have arrivied without cash and not been asked for money. Saying that it is nice to give a tip for good service. A happy porter (longshoreman) gets more than a rude one :)

If you are leaving from a European port (ie. Barcelona) am I correct in assuming that you would tip in Euros ? Or since tipping is not such a big deal in Europe do you still tip at all? Would it then be 1 or 2 Euro per bag? TIA for any info.

We tip €1 per bag rounded up. We usually have 4 bags so tip €5.

If you you use a porter at the airport there is a fixed rate for tipping. I can't remember how much it is.

Here is a link to guide for tipping here in Spain

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=0aibT9-ByI8C&pg=PA734&lpg=PA734&dq=porter+tip+barcelona+airport&source=bl&ots=MdB1g5VCsg&sig=ZnuMd2Sauwb4qREmaNPtG10kRkY&hl=en&ei=_DiqSf_oPJm1jAf3za3_Dw&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=result

I usually do not tip the porters. They are not working for tips like your waiters and room stewards on the ship. The porters earn very good salaries and have great benefits (they are unionized and some earn six figures without a dime in tips). Taking your luggage is what they are being paid to do. At Port of Miami there are numerous signs stating that it is not necessary to tip the porters. I tip my waiter, assistant waiter, and room steward generously, but do not generally tip someone who is simply carrying out their normal job duty that they receive a generous salary to do. IMHO tipping the porters is akin to tipping your dentist.

You don't tip porters or bellman anywhere? Or just not at a cruise pier? Again, it is not any of your business how much they make.

Gonzo70 is right No Tipping signs are abundant in both FLL and Miami.

I generally give $1/case as a gesture........but on LibertyOS with say 3000+ items of luggage thats alot of revenue generated if everyone tips :rolleyes:.

We usually just have two bags and we tip the porter $5 at the port.

The only time I will tip less than what I planned is if the person says something about "living on tips." If they keep their mouth shut I will give a good tip. But when they say crap like that, their tip is very little.

On my last cruise my Mom and I spent the night before at the Westin hotel in the Detroit airport. The next morning, when we checked out to go catch our flight the bellboy took care of our bags and walked us to the shuttle, and he put our bags onto the shuttle. I tipped him $5. I was ready to tip the shuttle driver $5 as well, but when I said "good morning" to him as we boarded he didn't even look at me and say anything back. Plus when we got to the terminal he just sat there and didn't help us with our bags. I had to lug them off (breaking off a wheel on my Mom's luggage in the process) myself, so I put the $5 bill back into my wallet. I still wish I would have called the hotel to find out if it was normal not to help guests with their luggage.

And why is that? Whether they are union members or not should not be any of your business. What matters is that they are acting as a porter and perfoming a service for you that is typically one that you tip for just like you would tip a porter at a hotel or anywhere else.

I don't believe I mentioned anything about unions in my post. Longshoremen are notorious for shaking people down for money using lame, veiled threats, and I'm not voluntarily giving them any of mine. I don't require their services in the first place.

A couple of months ago, one of them practically whipped himself into a frenzy when he noticed I was hauling all of my own luggage into the terminal for check-in. He attempted to tell me (actually shouting) that he had to take them because they had to "pass through customs". Really? At a US port? Whatever, buddy. I'm heartbroken that you have to watch a few pitiful dollars in tips walk away.

If I remember right the porters were paid employees in Port Everglades and tips weren't required. It think it really depends on the port. In San Juan they are very agressive and pushy.

Well, if your bags mysteriously don't make it on the ship one time, we will know why.:p;):D And I really am not kidding.

I don't believe I mentioned anything about unions in my post. Longshoremen are notorious for shaking people down for money using lame, veiled threats, and I'm not voluntarily giving them any of mine. I don't require their services in the first place.

A couple of months ago, one of them practically whipped himself into a frenzy when he noticed I was hauling all of my own luggage into the terminal for check-in. He attempted to tell me (actually shouting) that he had to take them because they had to "pass through customs". Really? At a US port? Whatever, buddy. I'm heartbroken that you have to watch a few pitiful dollars in tips walk away.

Well, if your bags mysteriously don't make it on the ship one time, we will know why.:p;):D And I really am not kidding.

Oh, I know you're not joking just from experience. I did say in my earlier post, though, that I always wheel my own luggage onboard the ship; my standard carry-ons are managed easily enough even if I do happen look like a pack mule in doing so.

We have cruised out of Vancouver 3 times, we have never tipped, I have never seen anyone tip and never had a porter make any type of comment. I think for the most part you put down your cases infront of the carts and they load them in. I don't think there is any interaction to speak of.

We usually tip about $5 for two suitcases and a garment bag if we don't carry them on ourselves.

I am very aware of what they make (a couple hundred a day in tips alone from outgoing and incoming passengers) plus time and a half on their normal wages, but I like to make sure my bags make it to the ship and not left behind.

Archived