Tablemates: Programmed or random choices?

Richsap

It's been a few years since I've sailed on a ship with formal dining. The last time (with RCI in '99) it seemed to me that our tablemates and us were all around our age and socio-economic status. Other tables were full of older people or younger people, but again they all seemed to be relatively compatible.

I can't remember why, but I was under the belief that the cruise line used the information you supplied pre-cruise to pair you up with couples that were compatible, at least as far as age anyway. Is this true, or was it just luck of the draw?

I don't think there's much rhyme or reason to the pairings---I doubt they will put a family with small children with honeymooners...

We, too, have been seated with many different age groups--and it's always worked out well! Folks already have cruising in common, so that's a great "jumping off" spot for the conversation!

We love tablemates! It makes dinner something to look forward to!

I don't think there's much rhyme or reason to the pairings---I doubt they will put a family with small children with honeymooners...

We, too, have been seated with many different age groups--and it's always worked out well! Folks already have cruising in common, so that's a great "jumping off" spot for the conversation!

I would imagine it's random. I have never taken the chance of actually being placed at a table with other cruisers though. On my first cruise I opted for a table for 2 with my GF at the time. Which was NEXT to the table we were to be seated at, and needless to say the family at the table had 2 teenage kids who looked MISERABLE and the parents looked like they would rather be at a public execution than on vacation.

This is part of the Maitre Di's job!

While we love "Anytime Dining", when we've had set dining we've been seated with couples close to our age. We've never been seated with children (which I would like as a Grandma :)).

This is why the Maitre Di should be tipped (at least a minimum!).

It's definitely NOT random!

Sometimes you may be seated with the "cruiser's from H**L"! You just need to ask the Maitre Di for a different seating.

IMO, you should never sit with "objectionable" people for dinner! :eek: Just ask to be moved.

On the Victory we were seated with a family of kids, mom & dad and grandma, all of whom were miserable and moping the whole time. The youngest was also very whiny...Right next to our table was a young honeymoon couple who were subject to this whining at every dinner. OK, the Honeymooners weren't AT our table, but they were right next to it and we all know how close those tables can be. :o

Disney seems to (or did at the time we went on Disney) match people up better. We were on our honeymoon and were at a table with3 other honeymooning couples which was great. The first night our server walked up and congradulated all of us so they know. Looking around as well it seemed that couples were put with couples and families with families.

I hope it's random, or else Princess hates us! On our 15 day Hawaiian cruise we were seated at a table for 4 with a couple who were both deaf and mute. They seemed like a very nice older couple, but they didn't read lips and we don't sign so it was very awkward.

what a shame to read your comments about this Deaf Couple maybe you should take up a Makaton Course in your spare time

ps yes i work with differant Special needs and one is Sign Language with Children

On my first cruise, my son and I (then 7 years old, well behaved and quiet) were seated with a couple who looked to be similar age wise to me. I attempted to make small talk, the fellow was pleasant enough but his wife would either glare, or give sullen looks out of the corner of her eye. It was awkward to say the least. I was relieved when it was clear the next day, that they had changed tables. My son noticed they had left & asked why - I did not know what to say other than I hoped the lady was happier wherever she moved to.

In my opinion it is not randomly done. I am sure that the Maitre'd has a large role in it.

On our last cruise we were doing b2b and so were 2 other couples on our table. We had a great time for the whole 3 weeks.

We have also been on a table with others we couldn't get along with and once the cruise was over, we decided we would never do that again. We didn't want to offend them but it did spoil our cruise as we never looked forward to dinner times.

It's been a few years since I've sailed on a ship with formal dining. The last time (with RCI in '99) it seemed to me that our tablemates and us were all around our age and socio-economic status. Other tables were full of older people or younger people, but again they all seemed to be relatively compatible.

I can't remember why, but I was under the belief that the cruise line used the information you supplied pre-cruise to pair you up with couples that were compatible, at least as far as age anyway. Is this true, or was it just luck of the draw?

For the first time since our honeymoon, dh and I are cruising alone. We requested a table for 8 and were asked by our TA whether we would prefer to be seated with others in the age category 35-49 or 50-99 (or something like that - I can't remember the exact ages!)

So, for RC at any rate - it isn't totally random. I guess they can't guarantee they will be able to match up age groups and table size requests, but they must at least try.

I think they try to match dinner companions. We usually get a table with folks about our age (and sometimes celebrating the same anniversary!) Once we booked a suite and were assigned a table with two other couples also booked in suites. Twice we asked to be changed (language barrier or vast age / interest difference), but usually dining assignments work well. We have found that we prefer open seating (personal choice, anytime, freestyle) so we get to know more folks by sitting with different people each night.

I've been in the restaurant business for more years than I care to think about. We usually get to know the Maitre d' and assistants pretty well on our cruises.

One showed us the program that he used to assign seating. It's called "Table Where". The Maitre d' has access to the names, age (in 10 year increments - 25-35/35-45/etc.), cabin number, time preference (early or late), nationality (for language purposes) and date of booking.

So most of the time things are not really random. He did mention that the date of booking was used as a "tie-breaker" when making decisions.

Charlie

Several years ago, I took a girls' cruise on Carnival Valor with my best friend. We were two single women in our late 30s/early 40s. We were seated at a table for four with two guys from Pennsylvania, early- to mid-40s.

Adding to the "coincidence"...my friend is a HUGE football fan. In fact, I went to dinner alone the first night of the cruise because she was in the sports bar, watching the Patriots beat the Steelers in the final play off game before the Super Bowl.

The guys? HUGE Eagles fans! Their team had already clinched their spot in the Super Bowl earlier that day.

Football and the Super Bowl match up as nighly dinner-time conversation!

So, was this dining arrangement just coincidence? I think not.

(In case you have forgotten, the girls' team won!)

Archived