Ketchikan Princess tours-Coastal Wildlife Cruise vs Misty Fjords/Wilderness Explorer

lawahoo2001

We're booked for the Island Princess SB on 7/13/09. Looking to book tours...for Ketchikan I can't decide between the Coastal Wildlife Cruise and the Misty Fjords Wilderness Explorer. I've pasted links to each tour below. We're already doing some wildlife cruise type of tours in other ports, so I'm wondering whether we should opt for Mitsy Fjords. The tour is entirely by boat. I know that you don't go as far into the national monument as compared to the tours that go by seaplane, but we're not really into small aircraft. Has anyone toured Misty Fjords by boat only? Is it worth it? How spectacular is the scenery? If it looks like everywhere else in Alaska, then we may just opt for the wildlife cruise.

Thanks for your input!

http://015f20c.netsolhost.com/princess/Coastal%20Wildlife%20Cruise.html

http://host2.namelessdns.com/~allenmar/PRINCESS%20CRUISES/index.php?section=23

We're booked for the Island Princess SB on 7/13/09. Looking to book tours...for Ketchikan I can't decide between the Coastal Wildlife Cruise and the Misty Fjords Wilderness Explorer. I've pasted links to each tour below. We're already doing some wildlife cruise type of tours in other ports, so I'm wondering whether we should opt for Mitsy Fjords. The tour is entirely by boat. I know that you don't go as far into the national monument as compared to the tours that go by seaplane, but we're not really into small aircraft. Has anyone toured Misty Fjords by boat only? Is it worth it? How spectacular is the scenery? If it looks like everywhere else in Alaska, then we may just opt for the wildlife cruise.

Thanks for your input!

http://015f20c.netsolhost.com/princess/Coastal%20Wildlife%20Cruise.html

http://host2.namelessdns.com/~allenmar/PRINCESS%20CRUISES/index.php?section=23

I'm talking in general, but I'm going to speculate that the photos and wildlife "reports" of your first tour to be what they saw over probably 50 trips. This isn't a "boat by" :) wildlife area, all sightings would be rare on only a 3+ hour tour, except the shore lines can be loaded with eagles. To see them for "free", be out on deck coming into/leaving Ketchikan with a good pair of binoculars. :)

Misty Fjords is all scenery, with add transit time getting there via the boat. I'm one who does only prefer this area by air, but I would give the edge to Misty perhaps??

Hi...You might want to also consider the Ketchikan Zodiac tour..I made this tour last year and it was my favorite tour of all the ports...You get to drive your own Zodiac inflatable boat and see some beautiful sights...There will be a guide boat that stops at the points of interest and ours was very knowledgeable...This is a fun trip if you are a little adventurous....Retired Agent

I'm talking in general, but I'm going to speculate that the photos and wildlife "reports" of your first tour to be what they saw over probably 50 trips. This isn't a "boat by" :) wildlife area, all sightings would be rare on only a 3+ hour tour, except the shore lines can be loaded with eagles. To see them for "free", be out on deck coming into/leaving Ketchikan with a good pair of binoculars. :)

Misty Fjords is all scenery, with add transit time getting there via the boat. I'm one who does only prefer this area by air, but I would give the edge to Misty perhaps??

BQ, you seem to be knowledgeable in this area. How many hours do we need if we want to take boat ride to Misty Fjords? I am afraid of riding small plane. :o

BQ, you seem to be knowledgeable in this area. How many hours do we need if we want to take boat ride to Misty Fjords? I am afraid of riding small plane. :o

This isn't a wildlife area. I suggest looking at the longest that fits into your timeframe. Allen Marine has the ship contracts, that some are referring to on this board. Misty Fiords is a distance from Ketchikan.

• 3 weeks later...

The Allen Marine Misty Fjords tour is a 4.25 hour all boat tour. This tour does not guarantee wildlife but they do often see harbor seals & eagles in a nest - plus on special occasions sea lions or whales. The boats are large catamarans that are very comfortable and stable (I get sea sick and was fine on the boat, though I did take my ginger capsules) with a heated cabin and open deck space. They have a narrator and binoculars on board. And the boat includes a couple of bathrooms and complimentary snacks & drinks. The great thing about booking the tour through the ship is you will be sure the ship will wait if you are late and you are backed by the quality & safety guarnatees of the cruiseline. The boat does hold upwards to 100 people - even though it is big enough that even close to full it does not feel crowded. Also, the "national monument" area is about 45 minutes outside Ketchikan so there is travel time getting to and from town. But the crew does a great job of filling the time with information, stories and on our boat we had a local native artist doing bead work who showed us her work and talked about her people.

I have heard about the new eco tour and have even seen their little boats in the harbor. It sounds like a lot of fun if you are adventurous and want to see the area close to town by small boat. But remember - though wildlife is abundant in the Ketchikan area, there are no guarantees you will see anything but ravens and 99% chance you will see eagles!

Archived