Portage glacier cruise - is it worth it?

lawahoo2001

On our way back from Seward to Anchorage, we'd like to stop off at Portgage glacier to do the little cruise to the glacier. Is it worth it? I could possibly use the 2-for-1 tour saver coupon and get one ticket free for $29. Or, are there better places to stop off on the way back?

I have done the cruise twice in 2005. Well worth seeing especially if the weather is nice. (Sunny) Just make sure you know the excursion times and you should be fine. On the way to Portage there is a hiking trail to "Brian Glacier". If you have the time go ahead and do the hike up to the glacier. The view is just wonderful. Tim

It's totally worth it. The glacier is on a lake so there is no issue of sea-sickness etc. It's a short and to the point 1 hour tour, but at that price it's a great deal.

Nearby, stop at the Chugach National Forest visitor center, grab a slice of pie from the Portage Lodge and then go see the animals at the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center. All of this can be done in 4 hours or so and is only 1 hour from Anchorage (just on the other side of the tunnel from Whittier).

Welcome to Alaska!

A quick follow up: Here's the link to the visitor center and wildlife center:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/chugach/chugach_pages/bbvc.html

http://www.awcc.org/home.html

As mentioned above, hiking around Byron Glacier is also very fun in the valley. Remember to bring bear bells and spray. If you do choose to climb onto the glacier... be careful of snow bridges etc. The forest service folks can give you advice before you go up.

It's BYRON Glacier and I think the walk to Byron Glacier and seeing the Visitor Center was a million times better than the little cruise.

I'm glad you had a good time! This thread inspired me to post some more photos on my travel blog. Here is today's post on Portage (including the glacier and surrounding area). Let me know if there continue to be questions and I'll try to get you all more specifics as needed.

http://happyalaskan.blogspot.com/2009/03/portage-alaska.html

Welcome to Alaska!

Archived