Aloha deck and seasickness

swom

I have read that the lower the deck, the less likely you will get seasick.

We have never had this problem, but we are cruising this time with my hubby's sister and her husband and they are prone to this.

Since the Aloha deck is an upper deck is that really going to make a big difference in motion?

Myself, I love to be "rocked" to sleep in bed by the waves, but we want our family to have a great first cruise, so was just wondering if this will be a problem.

I have been in the lowest level aft and center, mid way up center and aft and near the top all the way forward. Honestly I have not noticed one area being any more movement than the others? The aft lower level was noisy and vibrated alot due to the thrusters pulling into port. Our cruise coming up we are mid ship on Aloha deck. I think alot of motion has to do with the wave heights and wind and how good the ships stabalizers are.

It also depends where you are front to back in the ship. Near the central elevators should not be a problem. More towards extreme fore or aft, it gets dicier.

I have a slight tendency toward seasickness. My worst areas of the ship are the higher decks, Aloha and above, toward the fore. On my first cruise, I got quite ill when I toured the dressing room areas in front of the theater in heavy seas. I should have just bailed immediately to the atrium/piazza; but I didn't know any better.

Our last cruise, our cabin was an inside on Aloha the third from the very front. Seas were slight for the most part so it was not a problem. Now that I recognize that slight queasy feeling, and when I felt it as the seas increased a bit, I headed straight for the Explorer's lounge (dead center either way) and felt quite fine in a few minutes. Just don't stay where you are hoping it will get better.

I don't take any medication for it because it's really not that bad, and any of the meds just knock me out. I just wanted to point out that simply changing your location can do a whole lotta good.

Thanks so much. We booked center, more toward aft, right at the aft elevators, so hopefully they will be OK. We tried to get middle of the ship for their sakes. I was just worried about the Aloha deck since it is a higher deck.

As always, you guys are the best and I really appreciate the input.

There are several factors that influence the motion of a ship at sea: wind, waves and currents. It's a myth that stabilizers minimize all ship movement. Not true. They help only when the ship is rocking side-to-side. If the waves are coming across the bow, there's a high wind, etc., where the ship's movement is forward to aft, they don't help much. I don't know the precise mechanics of it but a lower deck cabin is always more stable than an upper deck. You're kidding yourself if you think just because you're mid-ship on an upper deck, it'll be better. It isn't. Put your elbow on a table and then move your arm in a circle. Your elbow will stay relatively stable. Your DH's sister might be fine with the Aloha deck cabin but if they're prone to motion sickness, they'll be much better off, and reduce the chances of seasickness, in a cabin on a lower deck.

As others have said, on the higher decks you will feel more motion. As my DH likes to point out to me, think physics! If you've ever been on the 15th floor of a building during an earthquake and standing near a window, you know exactly what I'm talking about. Put your elbow on the table, with your hand pointing straight up. Start moving your hand just a little and you'll see which area of your arm moves the most and which the least.

In other words, the lower decks (like Emerald) and amidships are the best places to be for someone prone to seasickness. In the aft cabins on any deck you're likely to hear more engine noise too. As Pam in CA said, stabilizers only help in case of side to side rolling and even then, at a certain point they have to be retracted.

Stock up on ginger caps and Sea Bands is the best recommendation I can give you. They're worked for us over the last 14 cruises... :)

It's kind of like earthquakes...the higher up you are the more movement you feel.

But I've been on the lowest passenger deck in an inside room and the ship was rocking so much our bathroom door kept swinging open. Sometimes it really doesn't matter where you are on the ship if the seas are rough.

Pam & I being in Calif know the full affects of earthquakes :)
Actually, I've lived in CA for less than two years and the only earthquake I've felt was one centered in southern NH when I lived north of Boston. :) BUT, I worked for several years on the 32nd floor of the Time-Life Building in New York and I can tell you that buildings sway and move in wind.

For the record, I LOVE rocking and rolling on a ship, which never bothers me. Frankly, I never pay attention to it other than sometimes walking with my legs further apart. So, what do I know other than common sense.

Pam if your interested,our Calif thread is planning an all Calif Cruise to Mex April 3rd or 10th of April 2011. Click my Ca link below my signature and it will take you to our Board, located in the Floataway Lounge. We enjoy the subtle rolling, and are amused when we find ourselves walking to one side.

Gay

An inside cabin, mid ship, on the lowest deck has the least motion. An outside cabin on the highest deck will have the most side-to side motion, and a cabin Far FWD or Far Aft will have the most Front/Back motion. Lower level, far fwd cabins may get some anchor noise, and far Aft cabins may get some extra vibration arriving/departing port.

If you have past sea-sickness experiences, you might want to try to be mid-ship and not too high of a deck (just avoiding really high-up and really far FWD). You also may want to ask your Doctor about the 'scope pathces.

Ever wonder why the Medical Center is usually on deck 4 --perfectly mid-ship ?????? Stability

Agree with Pam about the stabilizers--we had a couple of nights mid-ship--maybe dolphin--such high winds etc--huge waves--you could feel the ship lift up and hear the stabilizers making noise out of the water--

Of course, the best is when you're asked to take anything that can fall and break and put it on the floor----we had one of these warnings many hours before the event was to occur--had never been asked to do this before--I was just guessing how awful this was going to be--NOTHING HAPPENED at all

You can usually expect some rough seas on formal nights--when you need to wear your very high heels and hand onto the walls

Oh, well--will be getting aboard the Star on the 25th in Valapiriso (sp) Chile heading for SF--should have some bouncing around on that one--

Who knows?????

Safe Travels Everyone

Nancy:D

Hi ,

My husband & I have never taken a MExican riviera cruise, so we are not sure how rough the waters are. WE booked this cruise on the Sapphire Princess & were given room A719 balcony. Neither one of us are prone to seasickness, but I was wondering about any noise in this area. WE sail April18-25th. :)

Any input would be helpful. THanks Angela :confused:

Pam if your interested,our Calif thread is planning an all Calif Cruise to Mex April 3rd or 10th of April 2011. Click my Ca link below my signature and it will take you to our Board, located in the Floataway Lounge. We enjoy the subtle rolling, and are amused when we find ourselves walking to one side.
Gay, thanks for the info. I recently booked a 10-day Panama Canal cruise leaving March 31, 2010 so I'll already be on the high seas. :( If I weren't, I'd definitely be interested. :)

We were on the Mar 7-14 Sapphire Princess Mexican Riviera cruise in Cabin A418. We could feel the seas on a few days, but we felt it the most after leaving Cabo on the return to LA. I had read on the boards that this is fairly common. As I stated earlier, it did not present a major problem; it's just that it became more noticable.

My DW and I were on the Sapphire (big ship) and were on the Aloha deck and a few cabins from the fwd end. We got a special deal to upgrade to that location and thought that with inside passage of Alaska it would be fine. Am not prone to sea sickness having learned how when working for a naval shipyard but my DW is very much so. Needless to say she felt the ship movement but fortunately it was only in entering the Inside Passage portion of the cruise.

Then on our Mexican Riviera cruise on the Oosterdam we were on one of the lowest decks and inside cabin between midship and aft. She still felt the ship move. She used Sea Band and they worked great. Get them one for each wrist at your local drug store. They are better than Bonine or other meds since with meds once in your system they stay for for a while. The bands were so goo dthat she did not even ned to wear them all the time.

Archived