Leaving a cruise early

lcohen999

I was wondering, if there was a cruise that I liked however we would want to leave early.....

Example, Celeberty has a San Diego round trip via Hawaii cruise, however on the way back, if we hopped off at the last island before it heads back to the mainland, is that possible, what is involved, cost reductions, etc.

thanks!

No, you will not be allowed to do that because you will have to go to a foreign port in order to satisfy the Jones Act which states that no ship can sail between US ports without first stopping at a foreign port. That rule also applies to all passengers on a cruise ship. That's why that sailing stops for a short period of time in Ensenada. The Mexican port satisfies the requirement. It's the same thing for Alaska cruises---it's the only reason all Alaska cruises stop in either Vancouver or Victoria Island. That rule is also the reason why many cruise ships that sailed the Hawaiian Islands had to go over to Fanning Island for a day.

Agree with the general concept by Kitty9. However, should you decide to leave the ship in Hawaii, no one will hold a gun to your head and say you cannot depart.

The line may fine you possibly $100.00 as the line could be fined that amount for violation of the Jones Act. Just make sure you stop at the front desk, pay your account in full, and inform them of your intentions. They will raise holly h***l with you, tell you what the law is, etc.... As for collecting that fine, the cruise would just bill your credit card. You will definately not get any money back for the used part of the cruise--you are now on your own....

Carnival had, or maybe still has, a gurantee satisfaction cruise in their advertisements. You would exit at the next port of call, but really don't know what happens thereafter, who pays for transportation back, how much you get back on the guarantee, etc...

I believe there is a big difference between Ensenada, Vancouver and Victoria Island, versus Fanning Island. My understanding is that the first three ports qualify as "nearby foreign ports" while Fanning Island qualifies as a "distant foreign port." On an intinerary that starts at a US port, after the passenger visits Fanning Island, the passenger could technically disembark from the cruise at any US port that ship visits, without incurring the fine. (I'm pretty sure that the passenger could disembark at any foreign port that ship visits, without incurring the fine.) With itineraries that start/end at a US port, and include only nearby foreign ports, there is no way to avoid the fine except by disembarking at the same port they embarked from.

So, if I've got that right, the OP could do what the OP suggests, embarking from San Diego, on an itinerary that includes Fanning Island, and disembarking at a Hawaiian port, and the OP couldn't do that if the foreign port on the itinerary was Ensenada.

At least I think that's what the Act says.

And I think the fine is now $300.

bicker, I'm familiar with the itinerary the OP is talking about that starts and ends in San Diego, and the "foreign" port on that itinerary is Ensenada. What the OP wants to do is cruise out of San Diego and go directly to Hawaii and then leave the ship on one of the Hawaiian Islands without going to a foreign port. The particular itinerary on the Infinity doesn't go to Fanning Island, so Ensenada is the foreign port. Yes, if the Infinity used Fanning as their foreign port, then the OP could get off the ship in Hawaii, but since it doesn't stop in Ensenada until the final night of the cruise, they cannot leave the ship in Hawaii.

Actually, I think the reviews about NCLA have been getting better. We'd like to do this one eventually, and it sounds like each cruise is improving. There are a couple of recent posts on the NCL board with people just back, and they're saying they had a good time. Depending on when you're going, they might have improved it enough by then to be a viable option.

Carnival had, or maybe still has, a gurantee satisfaction cruise in their advertisements. You would exit at the next port of call, but really don't know what happens thereafter, who pays for transportation back, how much you get back on the guarantee, etc...

JDee, that policy is still in place. They have what they call "Carnival Vacation Guarantee" ... If you are dissatisfied with the cruise, you must advise the purser prior to arriving at the first port-of-call that you wish to leave the ship. They will pay for your flight back to the homeport, and refund whatever cruise time was unused.

Archived