Would love to go to Mexico but leary..are you?

obmarcr

I just arrived back in New Orleans after an amazing week on the Spirit and we went to Costa Maya, Mexico and Cozumel, Mexico. I did not experience any dangerous situations nor did i hear about any. If i'm correct, I think that the main areas where the violence is occuring is up in northern Mexico, more a long the border. Either way, we had so much fun and had no problems with anything!

I just arrived back in New Orleans after an amazing week on the Spirit and we went to Costa Maya, Mexico and Cozumel, Mexico. I did not experience any dangerous situations nor did i hear about any. If i'm correct, I think that the main areas where the violence is occuring is up in northern Mexico, more a long the border. Either way, we had so much fun and had no problems with anything!

We are going in 12 days (yikes)! I had to check my count down clock to see.:o Thank you for the positive post. I'm looking forward to it as well. You will have to tell us what were your favorite things.:)

If someone were to ask me if it is safe to visit New York City - I would say absolutely, of course - why would you even ask. Now if that same person were to start mentioning specific neighborhoods, I would probably give a different answer. Certain neighborhoods are NOT safe for tourists to visit. It sounds like you are doing you're homework and will be vacationing with eyes wide open.

What is going on here (US) is really not relevant to what is going on there. Crime stats are just that...stats. I haven't heard reports of federal troops going into US cities, or beheadings, or kidnappings of tourists, or open out drug wars going on here, etc. Not directed to you directly legalwife, but in general.

Thanks for the "disclaimer" or whatever it could be called, Ms. Belp. :) I was kind of looking for numbers for comparison and I see a bit further today that someone has kind of covered what I was trying to say.

At any rate, everybody just use good judgment. If I was going to be worried about someone not using good judgment at one of the common ports, it would be Cozumel and some of the people walking - or trying to anyway - up the pier after being at Carlos and Charlie's and getting totally snockered... That is one wild and crazy bar!!!!

We just got back from the Spirit today with stops at Costa Maya, Santo Tomas, Belize, and Cozumel. We had two children with us, 7 & 9. We were also somewhat concerned about the alerts, so we elected to do excursions at the Mexico stops to ensure that we were with a group of people, versus exploring on our own.

From our recent experience, we did not witness anything of concern based on this approach.

We just got back from the Spirit today with stops at Costa Maya, Santo Tomas, Belize, and Cozumel. We had two children with us, 7 & 9. We were also somewhat concerned about the alerts, so we elected to do excursions at the Mexico stops to ensure that we were with a group of people, versus exploring on our own.

From our recent experience, we did not witness anything of concern based on this approach.

Thank you for the recent update as we are leaving next Sunday. I do believe that is the way to go at this time. I hope you all had a wonderful time.:)

Chris has received an update and the full-timers are still forbidden to go to Mexico. Next update April 4th. The last day of our cruise...

We're now back home from our STAR Mexico Riveria cruise last week and still busy editing our photos & DVD's for memories, and we felt safe in all 3 of our ports of call.

There was one thing that I noticed while we're cruising down south that all the NCL TV channels were working except for the news channels, supposed to be poor signal/reception on the screen. Sort of reminds me of being in China in the early 1980's where there're often news blackout & censorship (and their internet still filtered today). I kept up with news on my smartphone & used laptop connections to check home emails as needed - and "violence in MX" were hot topics on CNN & CNBC. Just a funny feeling whether it was "kosher" or not - sports channel & movie, etc. all came in perfectly - arent' they using the same satellite link to d/l and u/l all of it. Funny thing is that on our way back upon departing PV, we had solid news info on CNN all the way back to LA harbor.

Anyone else notice this recently while cruising down the STAR to MX?

The local tour guide (from J&S in Mazatlan) while returning to the Golden zone said in the farewell that their local economy depend on a great deal of tourism (rather evident from the luxory resorts and hi-risk condos under constructions) and said they are all looking forward to us coming back soon & to tell our friends about their wonderful city. Now, of course, these ports are far away from the borders.

Unfortunately, it is not just the border anymore. Western ports are the second most targeted. Rumors down here are that they are afraid the whole country is going to collapse due to narco-terrorism.

That is funny about TV reception, but I don't know enough about it to comment. Glad you made it home safe and sound & hopefully had a wonderful cruise.:)

We're now back home from our STAR Mexico Riveria cruise last week and still busy editing our photos & DVD's for memories, and we felt safe in all 3 of our ports of call.

There was one thing that I noticed while we're cruising down south that all the NCL TV channels were working except for the news channels, supposed to be poor signal/reception on the screen. Sort of reminds me of being in China in the early 1980's where there're often news blackout & censorship (and their internet still filtered today). I kept up with news on my smartphone & used laptop connections to check home emails as needed - and "violence in MX" were hot topics on CNN & CNBC. Just a funny feeling whether it was "kosher" or not - sports channel & movie, etc. all came in perfectly - arent' they using the same satellite link to d/l and u/l all of it. Funny thing is that on our way back upon departing PV, we had solid news info on CNN all the way back to LA harbor.

Anyone else notice this recently while cruising down the STAR to MX?

The local tour guide (from J&S in Mazatlan) while returning to the Golden zone said in the farewell that their local economy depend on a great deal of tourism (rather evident from the luxory resorts and hi-risk condos under constructions) and said they are all looking forward to us coming back soon & to tell our friends about their wonderful city. Now, of course, these ports are far away from the borders.

Fascinating post. I would have a hard time supporting any conclusion other than the one you seem to have drawn yourself.

i have absolutely ZERO concerns about traveling to Mexico. i have been there several times by land and by sea and never had an issue.

we just literally came back from a cruise that included a stop in Mexico and the only thing i did differently was we took our passports with us off the boat. usually we dont (dont wanna lose em!)

i figured there might be heightened security and my ship card and a copy of my passport might not cut it in that situation.

we had no issues what so ever. we took a taxi outside of the cruise area to a different marina where we had a private tour booked.

to be honest i had completely forgotten about the troubles.

anywhere i travel whether it be to Mexico, a Caribbean island, Europe, or within the US i try and use common sense.

i only travel with what i need on me. i try not to wander around in the dark or in back alleys (though my husband and i seem to have a knack for ending up in the bad part of town, we certainly dont do it on purpose!)

if you are truly worried, stick with a cruise sponsored tour or stick close to the cruise terminal.

and of course dont go visiting Tijuana or any of the other border towns in question.

Mexico is a beautiful country with wonderful people. go enjoy it!! :)

I agree. We don't have to go to Mexico anymore. They've brought the battle over here now. The drug cartel are now confirmed in 230 US cities all the way up as far as Anchorage, Alaska. The problem has become so bad that our governor has requested they send in the National Guard to help at the borders here in Texas.

I'm listening to the radio that CNN is sending Anderson Cooper and others to report; about time!:rolleyes: Some suggest the weapons are being brought in from Central America (specifically, Venezuela) up through Mexico. They are finding Russian and Chinese weapons like rocket launchers. They are now comparing it to being worse than Iraq. Go figure. They are kidnapping Mexican businessmen living here in US and taking them to Mexico to hold for ransom.

I tell you, things are getting bad down here...Mexican officials are moving here to US.

I agree. We don't have to go to Mexico anymore. They've brought the battle over here now. The drug cartel are now confirmed in 230 US cities all the way up as far as Anchorage, Alaska. The problem has become so bad that our governor has requested they send in the National Guard to help at the borders here in Texas.

I'm listening to the radio that CNN is sending Anderson Cooper and others to report; about time!:rolleyes: Some suggest the weapons are being brought in from Central America (specifically, Venezuela) up through Mexico. They are finding Russian and Chinese weapons like rocket launchers. They are now comparing it to being worse than Iraq. Go figure. They are kidnapping Mexican businessmen living here in US and taking them to Mexico to hold for ransom.

I tell you, things are getting bad down here...Mexican officials are moving here to US.

Yes, it is a very serious situation.

I know Cancun is a main gateway for drug trafficking across the Gulf of Mexico into the USA so be careful and don't go off on your own to explore, stay with tourists groups!

Just got back from the Mexican Riviera..had a fabulous time and never felt unsafe at all. Mexico remains my favorite cruise destination.

Book excursions with the cruise line and use common sense.

We have never been to Mexico and would love to take a cruse sometime this year or next but we are getting concerned with the alarming crime and violence there. Travel agents are saying if you stay in a resort you should be safe...so when cruisers are dropped off at a port are you in a resort area or are you on your own? They say don't drive so do you feel safe taking a taxi? How do you feel about cruising to Mexico?

Thanks

Last week a travel representive was on tv from the state dept, he said only border towns are a concern, not inland or not on the Riviera

After reading some of the responses, just had to add my 2 cents worth! Just returned from our cruise and found no evidnece of crime/violence when we were in Cabo, Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta. We took a taxi to Bahia Santa Maria in Cabo, snorkeled and then a taxi back. We hired a taxi in Mazatlan and went around the city - the mercado, golden zone, etc. In Puerto Vallarta, took a taxi to Los Veranos office and back. Felt safe the entire time!! When we were docked in Mazatlan there were 2 soldiers with guns at the port, but this is normal. We saw them as well 3 years ago at the airport in Cancun! So be aware of your surroundings as your are in whatever city you live in, use common sense and you'll be fine! :cool:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know it's been awhile since I posted this question but the news about Mexicos' drug/violence never ends. Here is something I just saw today. This worries me because I would love to cruise there but....maybe I will go but not get off the ship:D.

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSN1140493820090526

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iOvPTJj1rLooaLA16j1_XEq6olRQD98FHBJG0

Archived