Sydney Hotels on Priceline

maclady

We are looking for a hotel in Sydney pre-cruise January 25-28. Has anyone bid on Priceline for early 2010? The boards say that if you bid for a 4* in Sydney,you usually get the Marriott at the Harbor,which wood be great. Has anyone used any other sites for hotels in Sydney? Karen:):o;)

We are looking for a hotel in Sydney pre-cruise January 25-28. Has anyone bid on Priceline for early 2010? The boards say that if you bid for a 4* in Sydney,you usually get the Marriott at the Harbor,which wood be great. Has anyone used any other sites for hotels in Sydney? Karen:):o;)

I often use wotif.com, however that is for closer to the date. It is usually easy to get accommodation in Sydney in January because that is school holidays, however 26th January is Australia Day public holiday.

The boards say that if you bid for a 4* in Sydney,you usually get the Marriott at the Harbor,which wood be great.
I hope the boards don't say that. As I understand it, the Sydney Harbour Marriott is the one that usually (but not always) comes up on a bid for a 5* in Sydney.

I am staying at the Marriot Circular Quary in April, I booked a couple of weeks ago through Priceline and got it for $122US a night. I've done this 4 times now through Priceline, chosen 5* and got the Marriot every time.

Ive been looking on priceline for three nights before we sail next jan, am i right in thinking that the rooms are only for two? we are two adults and one child aged 10. Has anyone used hotels.com ? I have just been looking on their site, they dont seem bad prices. Are hotel rates higher in January? I priced the marriot direct for 3 nts advance purchase no breakfast for £325 with city view and £506 for harbour view with breakfast which would be able to cancel if needed.

We are sailing from OPT, so looking for something close by, I am waiting to see what RCI are offering as precruise package, I dont know if they offer value for money.

Thanks

Jo:)

Ive been looking on priceline for three nights before we sail next jan, am i right in thinking that the rooms are only for two? we are two adults and one child aged 10. Has anyone used hotels.com ? I have just been looking on their site, they dont seem bad prices. Are hotel rates higher in January? I priced the marriot direct for 3 nts advance purchase no breakfast for £325 with city view and £506 for harbour view with breakfast which would be able to cancel if needed.

We are sailing from OPT, so looking for something close by, I am waiting to see what RCI are offering as precruise package, I dont know if they offer value for money.

Thanks

No, prices are usually cheaper in January, because that is our peak school holiday season, so there aren't as many business bookings. Of course, New Years is busy (fireworks) and Australia Day long weekend, but the rest usually has great deals closer to the time.

No, prices are usually cheaper in January, because that is our peak school holiday season, so there aren't as many business bookings. Of course, New Years is busy (fireworks) and Australia Day long weekend, but the rest usually has great deals closer to the time.

Thanks for that, we are planning a week at the manley pacific after our cruise I would like to book that really then I know were sorted, was wondering if the beach hotels get booked up during school holiday season, I know if i book now there is a good chance there will be better offers, but it is where we want to stay.

Thanks

jo:)

Thanks for that, we are planning a week at the manley pacific after our cruise I would like to book that really then I know were sorted, was wondering if the beach hotels get booked up during school holiday season, I know if i book now there is a good chance there will be better offers, but it is where we want to stay.

Thanks

My comments related to city hotels. As many Australians spend their summer holidays at the beach, I don't know what the occupancy rates would be at Manly Pacific during January. Lots of people book apartments for the school holidays.

As you really want to stay at this hotel, it might be a good idea to book now.

My comments related to city hotels. As many Australians spend their summer holidays at the beach, I don't know what the occupancy rates would be at Manly Pacific during January. Lots of people book apartments for the school holidays.

As you really want to stay at this hotel, it might be a good idea to book now.

Im just waiting for confirmation that we got our flights put back a week and then we will book the Manly Pacific, we will keep an eye on the city hotel prices and leave it until nearer the time unless a too good to miss deal turns up.

Thanks for your reply.

much appreciated

Mike,

That's a great price...we did the same and thought we were getting a good deal at $151! Good for you! I agree it's 5* that you want to enter when bidding. Good luck.

Hi Sheila,

Every other time I booked the Marriot through Priceline, I got it for around $150, this time it came up at $122. I think the reduction must be due to the low Aus dollar. We are staying over the Easter weekend too.

Mike

We got Mariott Sydney Harbour for Feb 09 for $140 USD on priceline. We had five adults and needed two rooms. When we checked in, they asked if two kings was okay and we just said that we needed two beds in one of the rooms and they accommodated it. So, the previous poster who is bringing a child should be fine. They were very accommodating holding our luggage after check out and before check in. They also have a hospitality room where you can wash up (shower) if you are unable to be in your room and need a place. Though, this room is shared with others, it was a nice convenience. Great location if docking at Circular Cay. Loved it!

Hi Sheila,

Every other time I booked the Marriot through Priceline, I got it for around $150, this time it came up at $122. I think the reduction must be due to the low Aus dollar. We are staying over the Easter weekend too.

Mike

Could also be because of lower occupancy rates with no business clients at Easter.

Hi Sheila,

Mike

You may be interested that the Royal Easter Show is on whilst you're in Sydney.

http://www.visitnsw.com/town/Sydney_Olympic_Park/Sydney_Royal_Easter_Show/info.aspx

We will be in SYD July 6-11. Is that a busy tourist period? I have noticed hotels and fares generally go up starting July 1.

Not that I'm aware. It is winter.

Queensland school holidays are 27/6 - 13/7, whilst New South Wales school holidays are 13/7 - 24/7.

Thanks

We stay in Manly often as we have family there. Have stayed in the Manly Pacific a few times pre-renovation, and in fact we will give it another try in a few weeks when we are again in Manly. Have you also considered somewhere else in Manly, like the Quest Grande? Also available on Wotif. That is our favourite of the four different Manly hotels where we have previously stayed. A studio room, which we book, has a small kitchenette, handy for breakfast, though Manly does have many good restaurants. Quest Grande doesn't have have beach views like Manly Pacific, but neither do all the rooms in Manly Pacific. Close to the ferry though, which you will probably use to go to the CBD - great trip. Another option if you are looking for a beach stay after your cruise is one of the eastern suburbs beaches, which are an easy bus ride from the CBD. My favourite is Coogee, everyone has heard of Bondi of course, there are lots of choices. Trip Advisor has some useful reviews of the possibilities, including those in Manly. Manly isn't big, so any of the Manly hotels is not far from the beach front.

We stay in Manly often as we have family there. Have stayed in the Manly Pacific a few times pre-renovation, and in fact we will give it another try in a few weeks when we are again in Manly. Have you also considered somewhere else in Manly, like the Quest Grande? Also available on Wotif. That is our favourite of the four different Manly hotels where we have previously stayed. A studio room, which we book, has a small kitchenette, handy for breakfast, though Manly does have many good restaurants. Quest Grande doesn't have have beach views like Manly Pacific, but neither do all the rooms in Manly Pacific. Close to the ferry though, which you will probably use to go to the CBD - great trip. Another option if you are looking for a beach stay after your cruise is one of the eastern suburbs beaches, which are an easy bus ride from the CBD. My favourite is Coogee, everyone has heard of Bondi of course, there are lots of choices. Trip Advisor has some useful reviews of the possibilities, including those in Manly. Manly isn't big, so any of the Manly hotels is not far from the beach front.

Hi Emma,

Ive had a look at the Quest Grande and am in the process of emailing them for an idea of price. I had been recommended the Manly pacific by a friend who has stayed there and I really like the look of it. My daughter will be 10 when we travel so a pool and the beach is important us. We will probably be staying at the Marriott or Sir Stamford for 3 nights before we sail. My understanding of Wotif and Priceline is that the prices are based on two people sharing, tho as other people have commented in certain hotels having a child with us should not be a problem, also am I right in thinking breakfast is extra to the price quoted? I have looked at some hotels in Coogee which look fab but they do seem more geared to adults,we will definatley be visiting Coogee when are in Sydney.

Thankyou so much for your reply and suggestions, its much appreciated.

Hi Emma,

My understanding of Wotif and Priceline is that the prices are based on two people sharing, tho as other people have commented in certain hotels having a child with us should not be a problem, also am I right in thinking breakfast is extra to the price quoted?

Hi Jo

I sorry that I can’t be more help with using sites like Wotif and so on as we just book direct with hotels to avoid confusion. Previously we’ve used sites like hotels.com for booking overseas. We instituted the direct booking policy after the time we turned up with our son, daughter-in-law and grandson to an apartment complex in Santa Fe, and found that our allocated reservation was a small one bedroom apartment, rather than what we had booked through the online booking service (forget which one) which was a the three bedroom, two bathroom townhouse! The mistake was made by the management of the holiday apartment complex, but probably a quirk in the online booking site contributed to the confusion. Anyway, as it was off season, no harm was done and we could be moved to what we had booked, but it would have been a different story in high season. I still think those online sites are good for last-minute deals, but for booking well in advance we feel happier going directly to the hotel.

Quest Grande is right opposite the ferry terminal, some rooms face the harbour, but some reviewers noted noise from a bus stop also across from the hotel. We’ve been on that side once, and other times on the other side, can’t say that I have been bothered by noise on either side. The reason we like Quest Grande is because it does have that kitchenette, also a washer & dryer in the bathroom, which is very handy for a longer stay. Manly Pacific is of course a typical hotel room and things like laundry, parking cost extra. (Parking was free last time I was at Quest Grande – but that might not be an issue for you.) While QG is not at the beach it is only a short walk through the Corso (the pedestrian main street in Manly) to get from it to the beach. Another apartment complex in Manly is Nautica Holiday apartments, have stayed there several years ago, and a family member on another occasion and we were both happy with it. They are apartments, some of which are owner-occupied. Not much current info on TA.

I thought that Manly Pacific was rather tired when I last stayed there, and there was noise from other groups in the hotel (not the hotel’s fault of course). I have not stayed there since the renovation, but the public areas looked very attractive from the outside when I was last in Manly. There is of course a rooftop pool and the hotel is just across from the beach. The rooms at the front do have sea views of lovely Manly Beach. I have never stayed in them, have always been at the back where you just see buildings. It isn’t noisy at the back, I suspect probably not at the front either. At least not during the week, Manly is quiet on weekdays. As I said, we are staying again at Manly Pacific soon, may well post a review on Trip Advisor, Cruise Critic’s partner. Don’t forget to look at TA for the Sydney hotel reviews, if you haven’t already, and also there is useful advice on their Sydney forum if you wanted to post a question there. I found this very useful review of what to do in Manly also. Looks like it was written by a local.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g552103-s4/Manly:Australia:Things.To.Do.html

I do have a sentimental fondness for Coogee as I have lived there, but Manly might suit you better. With a ten year old, the ferry ride from Manly to Circular Quay is terrific. I feel Coogee has very easy access by bus to the city, easier access than Manly does. Maybe I am just an Eastern Suburbs person, rather than a Northern Beaches person (Between-suburb rivalries in beautiful Sydney). The only hotel where we have stayed in Coogee is Medina Executive, which is also an apartment hotel (has a pool), and we, and other family members, have always been very happy with it. Only a few minutes to the beach, and many restaurants in the area. (Probably better restaurants in Manly though.) Coogee also has lovely pools cut into the rocks where you can swim. Note however that Coogee is under the flight path to Sydney Airport, so depending on wind direction, you might get an early 6am wakeup call wherever you stay there. Also there could be traffic noise in Medina Executive, as it is on Coogee Bay Road. Again the TA reviews would be helpful. You definitely should visit at any rate – and Bondi too of course. It is the iconic Sydney beach, some of us Aussies have other (totally illogical) preferences.

Cheers, Emma

My understanding of Wotif and Priceline is that the prices are based on two people sharing, tho as other people have commented in certain hotels having a child with us should not be a problem, also am I right in thinking breakfast is extra to the price quoted?

With wotif to make the booking you choose the hotel then the room, and can choose a room to cater for your needs. If it only says "Rates are for 2 people. Room accommodates no more than 2 people in total." (or fewer) then you should choose another room/hotel.

With priceline there are 2 options. If you try the name your price option they don't make any guarantees/options beyond 2 people. Often the hotel will be able to cater for more, sometimes at extra cost, but it's not guaranteed. If you do the choose your hotel/room option then it's like wotif and you should choose a room for your needs, e.g. 2 queen beds.

Regarding breakfast, some hotels have room packages through the select a room option which have breakfast included, but it's rare. In the priceline name your price option it's never explicitly included.

Thanks for all that info Emma and the link, It's great to get advice and tips from someone who has been there and done it ( oh how we wished we had relatives in such wonderful places!!!) , to be honest we have always booked direct with hotels and find we have always had good deals, tho this has only been in England and USA. I have looked at the harbour Marriott for the 3 nights before we sail and they got some good prices on advance purchases, and if the dollar keeps falling against the pound priceline is going to be no good to us. We are really looking forward to our week at the beach after our cruise so we want to get the accomodation right. There is lots of rivalry between towns in the UK tho this usually involves football or rugby!!!

Thanks Big M for your explanation of wotif and priceline.

thanks again

We have saved up American points and are trying to book our air on Quantas, but they are slow in posting their award seats with American. I am calling on an almost daily basis so that I can grab a couple. That is step one. We then plan to book a 4 night stay on Heron Island for some world class snorkeling-then on to Sydney. I am raring to book,but I'd best wait before booking on a non-refundable site like Priceline. I am drooling over the $122/price. I understand that the Marriott is a really great place to stay. Then I have to look for a hotel for 2 or 3 nights in Auckland. I understand Auckland hotels aren't listed on Priceline. Does anyone have suggestions on how to book there? Karen;):o:)

Then I have to look for a hotel for 2 or 3 nights in Auckland. I understand Auckland hotels aren't listed on Priceline. Does anyone have suggestions on how to book there? Karen;):o:)

If you're looking for general accommodation sites instead of direct sites, there are a number but I'd suggest http://www.wotif.com/?country=NZ and http://www.needitnow.com.au/needitnow/needitnow.asp?Type=SearchBox&SearchBox=R503 as good all-rounders. They're a lot easier to use than priceline as they don't hide the name from you except for a limited number of special deals.

BTW, there's no u in QANTAS. ;-)

Archived