AO Teens 12 -14 Questions

vavasmom

We are sailing Freedom of the Seas in 23 days (Yeah!). This will be my DD's (age 13) first time in this age group and I have a couple of questions. She loved AO on both the Sovereign and Freedom in 2007. Thanks to crusinmama06 for including the teens in her kids compasses.

MODS - If this is not the best board to post please move to a better location - answers on this board about kids and teens tend to be a little friendlier than the main RC board.

Am I correct that the later night activities (after 10pm) for this group do not have a charge. I don't mind the LNPZ charge (she always had a blast) but am trying to establish her budget (she has managed her budget on every cruise she has ever been on - I find she is more thrifty that way).

Also, for her budget, does anyone know what the "mocktails" cost? I assume these are smoothies and other virgin drinks.

What is the "Bling Bling Party" I see in the teen compass. I assume it is a party where the kids wear their wildest jewelry but my DD will tell you that people born in the stone age don't always understand. (This is her running joke with me - she is a very respectful child)

I have requested (reserved??) my time dining to try and avoid the rush of early dining but still deconflict from some the teen activities. We have early reservations at both specialty restaurants at some point in the cruise. Does anyone have direct experience with either they can share?

Any other advice beyond making sure she attends the mixer on the first night?

Im 17 years old, and been on 6 cruises where i always do a ton with the teen group (4 with RCCL) so i can give you the info i know.

Am I correct that the later night activities (after 10pm) for this group do not have a charge. I don't mind the LNPZ charge (she always had a blast) but am trying to establish her budget (she has managed her budget on every cruise she has ever been on - I find she is more thrifty that way).

you are right, there is never a charge for anything with the teen club (except the drinks)

Also, for her budget, does anyone know what the "mocktails" cost? I assume these are smoothies and other virgin drinks.

They were normal bar prices, so i think like 5 or six bucks?

What is the "Bling Bling Party" I see in the teen compass. I assume it is a party where the kids wear their wildest jewelry but my DD will tell you that people born in the stone age don't always understand. (This is her running joke with me - she is a very respectful child)

They usually give out cheap tacky jewelery to wear for the dance party.

I have requested (reserved??) my time dining to try and avoid the rush of early dining but still deconflict from some the teen activities. We have early reservations at both specialty restaurants at some point in the cruise. Does anyone have direct experience with either they can share?

I've always had late seating cus we like to spend more time in port and dont want to be rushed before dinner. He may miss out on a bit of the early stuff with late seating, but its never been a problem once i found my group.

Any other advice beyond making sure she attends the mixer on the first night?

I've actually never attended the first night mixer because of late seating, and dinner is the only thing that is non-negeotable with my family. Just make sure he is smart with what he does, and have fun as it is a vacation!

Archived