what shoes do you wear?

*Kendra*

We are going on a Med cruise at the end of next month and I do not know what shoes to wear while walking around the different towns. I HATE tennis shoes... I honestly cant stand them. I was thinking of maybe getting a few new pairs of flats and wedges and breaking them in before we leave. What do you all think? What brands do you perfer? Do you know any good brands under $100? Thanks!

We are going on a Med cruise at the end of next month and I do not know what shoes to wear while walking around the different towns. I HATE tennis shoes... I honestly cant stand them. I was thinking of maybe getting a few new pairs of flats and wedges and breaking them in before we leave. What do you all think? What brands do you perfer? Do you know any good brands under $100? Thanks!

Like you, I hate tennis shoes/ cross trainers, etc. I bought these last year and love them--they go with skirts, slacks, shorts, just about anything.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7376737/c/3.html

I also bought J41 Escapade in Multi Metallic (bronze, silver and gold)

With these two pair I had all outfits covered for 14 days of touring in the Med.

I don't have to stick to one brand, I just want the ones that fit and I can walk in. Depending on where you are going, you also want shoes that you don't mind getting a bit dusty.

I have a problem with one foot, a nerve that will make it unbearable to walk if I don't have the right shoes on. After much internal debating, I decided to take my most comfortable sneakers with me. Not a great fashion statement, but my main concern was with my own personal comfort. I did not want to cut short my sight seeing because of foot pain and I have no regrets.

I did have another pair of shoes more fashionable for port days with little walking, they were Reiker and fairly comfortable but not as much as my New Balance walking shoes.

I do have to say that I saw many other tourists and locals in sneakers and not all tourists were American. It was a delight to hear so many different languages spoken.

I did wear more fashion forward footwear at night ;)

I also hate sneakers--don't like the way they look or the way they feel--like my feet are in prison.

I have a couple of pair of shoes that are very comfortable for walking, but aren't sneakers. One brand is Royal Elastic and one is Privo. I've worn them on two Med cruises, hiking in Mexico, and around town for running errands.

I'm a big fan of Privos and Merrills, and many Clarks. I don't know what the temps in the Med will be late next month, but for me, keeping my feet cool and comfy are of utmost importance. If the weather is hot, I'd opt for very comfy and cool sandals instead of a closed-in shoe.

I am having a huge problem with this also. I am a flip flop girl. I have them broken in and perfect . But want something that is all around for heavy walking & climbing . I think I need 2 pairs I want something LIGHT and won't make my feet sweat.

I bought these and working on breaking them in. Are comfortable but the strap across the top and swelling travel feet may not work . I have other merrells and like them very much

http://www.shoebuy.com/merrell-circuit-mj-breeze/291381/622539

thinking about these but not real familiar with the brand

http://www.shoebuy.com/terrasoles-rainier-perfed/294096/628734

I would definately get soon and break in. good luck

I, too, hate white walking and tennis shoes. In foreign ports, they scream "tourist", especially American. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I don't like to stick out like a sore thumb. One wearing them will.

I have bad feet, have had lots of surgery, and wear a difficult size (very long and narrow). So, I never pay less than $100. I have a pair of black leather walking shoes that have cushioned soles, and that I can put my custom orthotics in. I believe they are Soft Spots. I got them for my trips abroad.

Whatever you get, be sure to go in long walks on them ahead of time, and include lots of standing in place. Walking continuously can be easier on one's feet than standing, which one often does when out being a tourist.

Whereto...I keep going back and looking at those shoes. I like Sandy the best. You think they would be good for extensive Meditteranean tour all day walking?

Is the inside sole cloth or plastic?

thanks for the link (I think :p) Unfortuantely I fell in love with some other J=41 shoes too

I am having a huge problem with this also. I am a flip flop girl. I have them broken in and perfect . But want something that is all around for heavy walking & climbing . I think I need 2 pairs I want something LIGHT and won't make my feet sweat.

I bought these and working on breaking them in. Are comfortable but the strap across the top and swelling travel feet may not work . I have other merrells and like them very much

http://www.shoebuy.com/merrell-circuit-mj-breeze/291381/622539

I have no fashion sense when it comes to shoes. It is going to be cool (50's) on our upcoming Baltic cruise in May. Can you wear socks with these merrell's?

I have no fashion sense when it comes to shoes. It is going to be cool (50's) on our upcoming Baltic cruise in May. Can you wear socks with these merrell's?

Theoretically and technically, yes. But I vote no. But I'm also one that thinks socks with any kind of sandal, mule, or slide is just wrong. If it's coolish, I'd go with something like this that doesn't need socks but thin ones would certainly be fine:

shoes_ia71144.jpg

shoes_iaec1096467.jpg

shoes_iaec1142557.jpg

Though, I wouldn't wear socks with the last pair, but that's just me.

LOVE the look of those! I don't like the merrills and those others because they look too athletic/casual to me but these! AWESOME!

I love the look of the j-41 zappos but I definitely wouldn't wear socks with those. I have a comfortable sandal that I love but need something warmer but not hot. My feet burn up in tennis shoes.

You live in Italy and are going on a Med cruise. Everyone is sending you shopping in the US.

Are you planning on buying online and shipping everything to Italy? I'd be worried about the expense of returns, etc.

That said, I agree that sneakers are awful. I like fashionable shoes and wouldn't wear the clunky, or "crunchy" sandals that many wear while sightseeing.

I like Paul Green sandals. They are extremely comfortable. They're made in Germany, so perhaps you can find them in Italy?

Here's pic of the pair I bought last summer - though I have them in patent leather, which are very cute looking and very, very comfortable. They've been all over the world with me.

5007-730602-3.jpg

Jane110, that is one gorgeous sandal!

Like a lot of you, I just can't wear a tennis shoe, or any closed shoe for that matter. I've always worn mule type shoes in the winter, and flip flops during the summer. Will someone please tell me that my flip flops will be okay for the Med during May? (not the $ store plastic or rubber, but something a little more fashionable) :)

Kendra,

If you live in Italy why not look at Geoxx. I've bought several styles over the years, mules, loafers, runners, ballet slippers. I have very tender feet and have been very happy with mine. And because of the patented sole that allows for the dispersion of moisture, I especially love them in the summer. In Canada they cost about $120.00 so in Italy they must be very affordable.

Thank Jane and Gforce. For some reason I have a hard time finding shoes over here that I am happy with. I love the shoes you pointed out Jane. I will have to check on those. I rarely ever wear sandals but those aren't to bad. I mainly wear flats but am having a terrible time finding any that are comfortable. I have one pair of Gianni Binis that are very comfortable, surprising for the price, but I need more than one pair. GForce, I will have to go to Catania and see if I can find the shoes you are talking about. I have never seen them here.

Geoxx is a great suggestion. (why didn't i think of that? duh!)

Kendra, glad you like the Paul Green sandals. I paid $200. for mine last May, and now they're on sale for about $105 on the site I found them. I love them so much and they're sooooo comfortable I might buy another pair in plain black leather so that I have two pairs of them. Also, they're extremely light weight.

I wish they made them in olive green to go w/ my natural & khaki colored linen summer clothes.

Jane110, that is one gorgeous sandal!

Like a lot of you, I just can't wear a tennis shoe, or any closed shoe for that matter. I've always worn mule type shoes in the winter, and flip flops during the summer. Will someone please tell me that my flip flops will be okay for the Med during May? (not the $ store plastic or rubber, but something a little more fashionable) :)

Personally I wouldn't wear a flip flop style - even a fashionable one w/ nice leather straps - for all day walking. There's just not enough strap to hold my foot in securely, and the sole is very flat and doesn't offer support. But again, it's a personal opinion. If you can comfortably walk all day in a flp flip style, then they're fine.

Personally I wouldn't wear a flip flop style - even a fashionable one w/ nice leather straps - for all day walking. There's just not enough strap to hold my foot in securely, and the sole is very flat and doesn't offer support. But again, it's a personal opinion. If you can comfortably walk all day in a flp flip style, then they're fine.

Thanks, Jane. A flip flop style in the ONLY thing I can walk around in comfortably all day (I know, weird, isn't it?), and I was hoping they would be okay.

Archived