San Pedro Port / Can you get good view of Mariner

Mariner of the Seas is departing San Pedro tomorrow (Sun 3/15)

Sadly, I am not going on the cruise.

But wondering if I can get a good look of ship exterior from the port?

How close can you get? Parking? Charge for parking?

Are there restaurants at the port?

Is it worth it to drive to port to see ship, or would I just add to the congestion?

I'll be driving to the port in April for a cruise on the Mariner. Do you know which pier she is docked at? Any tips on best place to park our car for the week? I'm assuming we can park right at the port (hopefully close to the ship for transfering luggage! ;)

Thanks!

Sue

:)

I know Acapulco Restaurant is right there. I do remember seeing people on shore taking pics and waving to the ship.

The port is in San Pedro, not Long Beach, so make sure you go to the correct cruise port! There is ample parking right there, at this time it is $12 per day. There are hotels close by that have a stay/park special, only cheaper if you actually need to stay the night before.

If we have a lot of luggage, DH drops us off and then parks. If it is just us without the kids, we park and wheel the bags...it's not far at all.

Parking:

Lots 1 and 2:

Hours of operation: 8:00 A.M. to 6:00 P.M. Monday and Friday only.

For 3 and 4 Day Cruises only

Parking is $1.00/hr for first 10 hours or $12.00/24hr.

No Free Parking

$12.00 Daily Maximum

Lots 6, 7, and 8

Hours of operation: Open seven days a week, 24 hours a day.

Free parking for the 1st hour.

Parking is $1.00/hr for first 10 hours or $12.00/24hr.

$12.00 Daily Maximum

$12.00 for the first 24 hours and each additional day or a portion thereof.

A courtesy shuttle bus is provided to and from the cruise terminal on scheduled ship days. The shuttle buses are not wheelchair accessible.

All parking rates are based on per space only. If you occupy more than one space, you will be charged all occupied spaces.

Post Pay Parking Only

Parking fees may be paid by Cash, Travelers Checks, and Major Credit Cards only.

Further information can be obtained by telephoning Parking Concepts at 310-547-4357 or 310-732-5773.

http://www.sanpedro.com/spcom/crusshp.htm

if you go to ports of call village and have dinner there right on the water you can watch as the mariner sails away tomorrow evening. there are lots of restaurants there to choose from from cheap cheap cheap to expensive. parking is free at ports of call.

great view also from vincent thomas bridge, but they frown on people stopping on the bridge.

hkmom

The best views of Mariner will be as she departs, if you can wait until the late afternoon/early evening (she sails at 5). Drive down N. Harbor Boulevard to 22nd street and turn left. Turn right at the next intersection and go to the last building, turn left into the parking lot before you pass the building. There's a little "dock" that you can stand on and feel as if you're touching the ship as she passes by. That's the first place we went to when Mariner arrived in LA on February 19.

If you're an early bird on Sunday, you can see her come into the opening of the harbor, turn stern first, and back into the dock! She actually backs up for at least a mile or two!

On 2/22/2009, she got there around 5:00 a.m.

She's all lit up and makes for great pictures. Port of Call Village would be a great spot.

LL

Thanks again. I had a fun day.

I viewed the aft of the Mariner (near the SS Lane Victory Museum).

Then I went over to the cruise terminal and got a view of the side of the ship. Looking at the ship (from the aft), the hump looks very pronounced, but from the side view it was more subtle.

I visited Port o' Call; have not been there in over 30 years.

Saw Acapulco Restaurant. I thought that the seafood eateries were very interesting; whole fried/grilled fish, lobsters, crabs, shrimp fajita, and loaves of garlic bread. Lots of local people enjoying a Sunday afternoon.

Then I went to the small dock near 22nd St. It was the perfect place to watch the Mariner of the Seas pass by.

Thank you again for all the tips.

Someday I will have to wake up early, and see her come into port.

Archived