"Cruise Ships In Troubled Waters" by A&E

Indiana Jones

Not sure if I have seen that show before, but I am interested in one thing: are the incidents put in perspective? Gloom-and-doom documentaries tend to take the particular and imply that they are the general.

I think that, at least in the past if not now, cruise lines tailored their health care facilities toward their pax profile. HAL, for instance, might have a greater stress on the needs of the elderly, while Disney might have less for the grandparents.

As far as security goes, you can find incidents on any ship and act as if rape and pillage were as common as Baked Alaska.

The same with the Norovirus stuff: 128 people ill at one time or another on a Disney ship with 3,500 total pax/crew and the way you heard it on tv, the decks were awash with [you know what; no sense in getting gross here].

Yes, there is crime onboard; there are health issues to be addressed; there are lots of things. But I rather suspect that what you are watching may be just a weeeeee little bit out of perspective. But great tv ... I guess ...

Here's another way to look at it. You have one doctor on board with any where from 1200-3200 pax.

It is known that many viruses pass from hand to hand and mouth. Sneezing and coughing are also ways of passing on many illness. You are in an enclosed area (dinner). You have pax who have little or no immune system (elderly, cancer pat on chemo, MS etc). Yes, things can and do spread through the ship at times, that is why they various cleaning protocals.

As for other things such as heart attacks, storkes, falls, burns etc, they can happen to anyone, any where, any time but on a ship you have one doctor who may not be specialized in that field. Most of those on this board are from areas where medical help is easily and readily available with people who specialize in a field ie (Cardo, internal, eye ect). Do you think one doctor with a limited area without special machines can deal with any and every thing? That is why they do airlifts, he/she does not have the ability to handle anything major. Most doctors on board are there for minor things, ie a cut that needs a few sticthes or to tell you that you need to stay out of the sun for a few days, stop drinking etc.

As for crimes on board, yes it does happen but most are minor property crimes (stolen cameras, jewellery etc). Some are major, rape and murder. It is a small city. Most people on board do not know each other, unlike at home where you may know your next door person on the ship unless you came as a group, chances are you do not know them. People who are on vacation often let their guard down. They will leave a camera in plain view on a chair, a wallet on a table and not think about it. Or they are lying down in the sun and fall asleep with they purse beside them.

Stories, such as above often only show the bad, never the good. I have been on a cruise where a lady left her purse and camera in a store. I was there and seen her leave. I called out to her and she came back, she looked like she was at a party. She said thanks and took her stuff. I ran into her on board later in the cruise and she told me someone had stolen her camera. I wonder weather it was stolen or if she had left it some where again and someone who was not as honest just kept it.

Here's another way to look at it. You have one doctor on board with any where from 1200-3200 pax.

It is known that many viruses pass from hand to hand and mouth. Sneezing and coughing are also ways of passing on many illness. You are in an enclosed area (dinner). You have pax who have little or no immune system (elderly, cancer pat on chemo, MS etc). Yes, things can and do spread through the ship at times, that is why they various cleaning protocals.

As for other things such as heart attacks, storkes, falls, burns etc, they can happen to anyone, any where, any time but on a ship you have one doctor who may not be specialized in that field. Most of those on this board are from areas where medical help is easily and readily available with people who specialize in a field ie (Cardo, internal, eye ect). Do you think one doctor with a limited area without special machines can deal with any and every thing? That is why they do airlifts, he/she does not have the ability to handle anything major. Most doctors on board are there for minor things, ie a cut that needs a few sticthes or to tell you that you need to stay out of the sun for a few days, stop drinking etc.

As for crimes on board, yes it does happen but most are minor property crimes (stolen cameras, jewellery etc). Some are major, rape and murder. It is a small city. Most people on board do not know each other, unlike at home where you may know your next door person on the ship unless you came as a group, chances are you do not know them. People who are on vacation often let their guard down. They will leave a camera in plain view on a chair, a wallet on a table and not think about it. Or they are lying down in the sun and fall asleep with they purse beside them.

Stories, such as above often only show the bad, never the good. I have been on a cruise where a lady left her purse and camera in a store. I was there and seen her leave. I called out to her and she came back, she looked like she was at a party. She said thanks and took her stuff. I ran into her on board later in the cruise and she told me someone had stolen her camera. I wonder weather it was stolen or if she had left it some where again and someone who was not as honest just kept it.

Well I feel if people leave their wallet, camera or whatever out in plain sight and turn their backs on it they are just inviting someone to take it. My mom taught me to hang on my purse and NEVER leave it in the grocery cart unattended etc. I see this all the time when shopping-hey that is enough to tempt a normally honest person. Now I know in some places it is common for purse snatchers to snatch it out of your arms or for people to be held up at gun point and there is very little we can do about that but comply but over the years the people I know that have had things stolen did things like for an example- A friend left her purse in the "baby section" of the grocery cart while picking up a few items -when she turned back to her cart her purse was gone. My sister left a leather coat and her purse in her car while at a shopping center with her car unlocked and they were stolen -she did have her wallet with her just not her purse-thank goodness. You would have thought that would have taught my sister but a couple of years later she went to the apt. complex where her brother-inlaw lived- was just dropping an item by before going to work and had left her car running-well you guessed it-the car was stolen but later found abandoned-police believed teenagers just took it for a joyride. A friend of mine's hubby had his identity stolen- but before that happened they would just throw away charge receipts etc. instead of shredding them.

Yes crime will still happen but if we don't do foolish things-it is less apt to happen. Even on ship we should be causcious. It just makes good sense. I am always causcious but I still take a vacation-after all I could get mugged right at home.

Archived