Private Chartered Yacht/Catamaran/Etc in Virgin Islands?

BelizePlease

Has anyone chartered a private yacht in the Carribbean...and if so...what advice/recommendations/etc. can you give? We're looking for a yacht for about 8-10 of us...probably a catamaran (most affordable "luxury"!) to take us around the Virgin Islands or the surrounding area... :cool:

Thanks in advance!

~BelizePlease

• 2 weeks later...

The Moorings are the only charter company I know of which you can rent bareboat or with captain. The vessels (cats, sails and powerboats) can handle your party. Try the Tortola location. There's nothing like small boat sailing in the British Virgin Islands. Good luck and have a great time.

I have chartered in the BVI, twice, Granada and Bahamas. I recommend that you study the size of the vessel to be sure of sleeping arrangements. Be sure and allow for enough time to reach the Bitter End yacht club on Virgin Gorda; one night may not be adequate. Provisioning for so many people may be problematic, be sure and settle on the menu's before you go and determinie the provisioning alternatives from the Charter company. Using a captain (rather than bareboat) makes the trip more enjoyable for a large group.

Happy sailing.

• 3 weeks later...

Another vote for The Moorings.

I did a bareboat charter for a month out of the BVI's. While we did run into mechanical issue - broken roller furling - they were on the spot with repairs and relief for our needs. We found their customer service to be excellent.

Over the month we met and mingled with a lot of Moorings charter cruisers, some of whom were using captains, and found the reviews to be excellent. Great food, great service, great experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived