If I take a train to Pompeii from Naples...

Hi daring,

Daring by name daring by nature.

http://www.ftroute.com

There you will find "Traveling by train for cruise passengers" We have used the Italian trains on numerous occations,they are excellent & cheap.

We are on the Summit early May,we will be going to Herculaneum having been to Pompeii. You can get the train to Sorrento & can get a local bus to Amalfi.etc & get a boat back to Sorrento,but you may be pushed for time.

Do either Pompeii or Sorrento not both,if you only have one day.

Cheers

I think that you have to make a choice here. There is a lot to see when you dock in Naples; but you really cannot see it all. Yes, you could get a taxi at the pier and do a whirlwind flyby of Herculaneum, Pompeii, Sorrento and Amalfi but thats all it would be and you really wouldn't see much. I would not suggest this.

You can take the train and see Pompeii and Sorrento without pushing the envelope. We did this in Oct (see link to review below.) Add Herculaneum and you'll have to keep a very close watch on your time.

When are you going and what are your hours in port? There is an Amalfi Drive glitch right now, they are doing road work near Praiano and it is making traffic there a nightmare. No estimate for when this roadwork will be done so keep an eye on that. Sorrento to Positano is not the bad part, its Positano down to Amalfi. Trying to find out for our trip if they think it will still be a problem. Anybody else going soon should also be aware of this, here is a link. I'm checking with our arrangments to see if we are better off using the ferry to get from Amalfi to Positano right now.

Thanks for the answers everyone. I will be in Naples the 2nd week in June for a day. The cruise offers a Pompeii/Amalfi Drive tour but I was hoping to DIY. My geography of that area is non-existent so I was not sure what my options were. Any advice is greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks for the answers everyone. I will be in Naples the 2nd week in June for a day. The cruise offers a Pompeii/Amalfi Drive tour but I was hoping to DIY. My geography of that area is non-existent so I was not sure what my options were. Any advice is greatly appreciated. :)

Suggest that you spend a little time on maps.google.com . Just type in naples, italy - then zoom in only slightly. Stay in the map mode initially. Use the up/down/side arrows (on the screen - not the keyboard) to move the map around or click and drag the map. Zoom in when you see an area you want to see more of. To get a more 'real life' feel, click on satellite mode. It is a very useful and educational tool.

The Rick Steves Italy book shows all the different ways of doing what you ask about. I'm finding it very helpful for the DIY touring.

You could also do Pompeii on your own, train on to Sorrento and pick up a private tour from there to do the coast and back to where you want.

How easy would it be to get a taxi back to the ship including a tour down Almafi Drive?

You would probably need to hire the taxi for about 3 hours to go from Pompeii to Amalfi, drive along the Amalfi coast and back to Naples. If a driver is willing to do this, it would probably add up to a fair amount of money, and there's a good chance that your driver will have very limited use of the English language (if this is a concern).

A better alternative might be to join others on your roll call and pre-arrange a driver recommended by others here on CC. You will know in advance what your costs are, and if you are sharing, chances are the cost will be less than what you'll be paying by hiring a taxi for several hours once there.

For a DIY day, I would continue on to Sorrento from Pompeii by train and spend some time there....the city is beautiful and views are magnificent. You could either take the train back or a ferry, depending on how much time you have.

A guide book that we found helpful for this area is Rick Steves Italy. Here's a link to on-line info from Rick Steves that gives some detail (the green train track is the Circumvesuviana train between Naples-Sorrento). http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/destinations/italy/amalfi.htm

GSPlover's website (mentioned above) has been a great help to us for train travel in Italy: http://www.ftroute.com/ItalianTrains.htm

You might want to keep in mind that it's quite a distance from Pompeii to Amalfi and although any taxi (and there will be taxis outside Pompeii) will be pleased to take you on the trip, you should be prepared to pay a few hundred dollars for the journey. Also beware that during the high summer season, traffic on the Amalfi Drive can be nasty and there are often stand-offs on the narrow sections where two vehicles cannot get past each other, and things come to a halt why one has to back-up. Add to this the construction that was mentioned in Praiano (this is where we stay when we vacation on the Amalfi Coast) and it could be a traffic nightmare. If we were going to do your proposed trip, we would probably do the Amalfi Drive as the first thing in the day, and than stop at Pompeii on the way back to Naples. After traveling independently in Europe for many decades (off ships and on driving vacations) we have learned to go to your furthest point early in the say and than work your way back to the port in the afternoon. The idea is to minimize the possibility of missing your ship because you get stuck in traffic a long way from the port.

Hank

Archived