Changing guest; fee.

talonferguson

So I had a friend cancel on me for our spring break cruise this weekend. Bummer, but I found someone else to take the spot ( paid for by me, oh well... )

What bothered me was... I couldn't change the guest name online, so I called carnival, and they charge 50$ to change my companions name, 50$!?

I'm sorry, maybe I don't understand cwhat's involved, but at this point all they want is a name, the rest can be done at the pier as normal. All passport and security screening is done at the pier, so what exactly are they doing that warrants a 50$ fee? Typing in a new name?

I'm kind of pissed. If anyone knows why this costs what it does, i'd love to hear it.

So I had a friend cancel on me for our spring break cruise this weekend. Bummer, but I found someone else to take the spot ( paid for by me, oh well... )

What bothered me was... I couldn't change the guest name online, so I called carnival, and they charge 50$ to change my companions name, 50$!?

I'm sorry, maybe I don't understand cwhat's involved, but at this point all they want is a name, the rest can be done at the pier as normal. All passport and security screening is done at the pier, so what exactly are they doing that warrants a 50$ fee? Typing in a new name?

I'm kind of pissed. If anyone knows why this costs what it does, i'd love to hear it.

That is customary. If you were flying in and had to change the name on the flight they would be charging you 100. Atleast that is what we would be charged on our flight, some might be different prices.

That is customary. If you were flying in and had to change the name on the flight they would be charging you 100. Atleast that is what we would be charged on our flight, some might be different prices.

Actually, airlines do not allow you to change names on a purchased ticket. You can pay a fee to change the ticket details (travel dates, times, etc.), but name changes are not allowed.

As far as Carnival is concerned, they are actually saving you money. In reality, your friend that cancelled is canceling their cruise within 7 days of sailing. According to Carnival's cancellation policy, they/you would lose the entire amount paid. Instead, they are just charging you $50 to change the name. BTW, I'm sure there is a bunch of paperwork that goes into changing a passenger's name, not just typing in the new name on the reservation.

I think you are lucky that it is only $50. I know it sucks that your friend canceled on you. But Carnival it trying to stop people from just booking a lot of rooms and then calling in later to change the names. So $50. helps stop that, you just got caught up in it. Glad you found someone to go with you. You two have fun and tell your friend all the details!

Archived