Internet bookings - Help!

DGNewton

We are seasoned travelers and cruised many times and the old school in me use to wait for the last minute deal; however, last year we found out (since we haven't cruise in about 10 years) that isn't quite the case since 911 has worn off a bit. Because a family of 5 is another factor with cost.

We are currenlty booked on the Carnival Pride for May 29, 2005. Since I have a family of 5 (boys-18/16/16 & mom/dad) it will require 2 cabins. We went on the Elation last June and all 5 stayed in one room. We hadahd enough room, besides, all you do there is dress, clean and sleep (not my kids - lol).

Anyway, we are booked for $729 (for 4) and $599 for the 5th and are in 2 inside cabins on the Riveria deck. I booked directly with Carnival and can still cancel or assign a travel agent.

I keep looking online and I'm finding that I could get balancoy rates for about $150 additional per passenger. Cheaper than Carnival.

My questions are:

Has anyone ever booked on the interent? I'm afraid of fraud.

What's the catch?

How common are internet bookings? We use ebay all the time.

Who do you recommend?

What about bestpricecruises.com ? Anyone ever used them?

Thank you in advance for your help!!!

For at least the last 5 years, I have booked our cruises exclusively on the internet, and never experienced fraud.

When you make your initial deposit, you creditcard is charged by the cruiseline and not the online agency, so immediatley you gain comfort that the booking was successful. Most agencies also provide you with your booking number, you can then go to the cruiseline site, and view your booking.

I hope this helps ease your mind.

Has anyone ever booked on the interent? I'm afraid of fraud.

Booked half a dozen cruises online, no problem either. Word of advice, check more than one online TA. When you find the best price check with your local brick and mortar travel agent to see if they can beat it. Chances are they cannot, but what the heck, its worth a try anyway.I have no allegiance to anyone online TA. I do my homework, I know what I want. Best price gets my $$$.

It is against the terms pof Service on Cruise critic to mention online agencies-

Do your research. I found online agencies to be cheaper then online agents or even the ones at home. But I also found some agents charge for stuff. So be careful.

Will the agent give you any price reductions up til sailing? Some agents will only give it to you up til final payment. I losts hundreds of $$ on my Victory cruise after final payment.

Does the agency charge you to cancel? Some agencies will charge 50 pp to cancel a booking. Cruise lines only charge AFTER final payment.

Is there any charges to make changes? Some charge 20 pp to make a change for cabin to cabin- or change a name before finla payment. Cruise lines charge nothing for doing this.

Is there any fees to mail your docements to you.

There are a lot of agencies out there online. I have used a few. If you are finding your cruise cheaper--ask to transfer your booking. $150 pp is a lot of money and will pay for all your excursions.

I have used on-line agencies with no problem. Actually better service than my old brick & mortar TA.

Make sure the charges to your VISA are billed from the cruiseline and not the TA agency.

You will get a booking ID. Go on the cruiselines site and check your booking information to be sure you are actually booked and assigned the right cabin category you were quoted.

We search for best prices and super deals on line, then call or email our favorite TA and see if she can match it. Most of the time she can. But once in a while she says Wow can't beat that one. We have never been stung by on-line bookings, and have got some great prices!

Archived