what was your favorite NCL cruise and why

karen327

Just out of curiosity, if you won a contest and could go on any cruise that NCL offered, what would you chose? Also, if you could pick an itenery that NCL doesn't offer but another company does, what would that be if different?

All my cruises have been a favorite, for different reasons. Our first NCL cruise was to the Mediterranean. Your first is always the best :D. Also, I was my first trip to Europe and I saw Rome, Florence, Pisa, Monaco, Barcelona.

My 2nd was my first real Caribbean cruise and I got the experience St Thomas!

My third was my first cruise on the Dawn and I fell in love with that ship :)

My fourth was my first trip to Alaska! Plus I got to bowl on a cruise ship!

My fifth was our first time taking a 9 day cruise. More ports, more beaches, more fun.

If I could choose a free cruise, it would be the one that sails from Venice and goes to Greece, as well. In fact, that's probably what we're going to be doing next year.

I'd take a free cruise on any line but Celebrity or Azamara.

Unfair question! I honestly couldn't pick a favorite...I love certain parts of each cruise we took. I liked our first one, because it was our first cruise, and we went to the smaller islands (St Kitts, Barbardos, St. Lucia, etc.). So sorry, I can't pick one! Highlights of our cruises: snorkeling with stingrays in Belize; awesome snorkeling in Cozumel (even saw a nurse shark!); whale watching in Cabo; ziplining in Mexico; Tulum ruins; etc. However, my favorite memory was on our last cruise. We went to a beach at Roatan, and we were on the bus to head back to the ship. The tour guide got on the bus, and said the sun was setting, in case any of us wanted to go back to get pictures, etc. It was the most beautiful sunset I have seen!!

Wow-tough question. If I have to limit myself to one

10 days in Hawaii on the Pride of Aloha (not long before it left Hawaii) aka: Norwegian Sky

Yes, I know many complained about their Hawaii cruises with NCLA (and especially the Aloha)--we didn't experience problems and loved it. Plus IT WAS DIRT CHEAP. Something like $1700 total for the 2 of us and I cashed in $1500 in BoA certificates. Then Alaska air had a short special we got in on so our RT air was $200 pp. Spent a few days in Waikiki afterward & got a hotel with priceline for $59 night (3 blocks off of beach but that's OK to us).

It was like GOD said "thou shall have a great time" and we did!!! :D

It was like GOD said "thou shall have a great time" and we did!!! :D

*church lady* well isn't that spaycial!!!

i, like many, cannot limit to only 1 as each cruise was special. but the one that had a huge impact on my love for NCL was my family cruise in 2002 on the Sun - Western Caribbean. the highlight of this cruise was the excursion that took 12 people from belize city to guatemala for a 9hr excursion to Tikal. a total of 3 miles hiking in the jungle to see all the temples left behind by the ancient people.

this proved to me the value of booking an NCL excursion. we were late by an hour. so the last speed tender from belize city to the ship...zipped us all back while people were looking overboard for this one group holding everyone up.

it was AMAZING!

As has been said, I loved different things about different cruises so it is very hard to choose. I I had to choose I'd probably say Eastern Caribbean out of NYC on the Dawn. Every excursion went perfectly, the weather was and the company were perfect, the ports amazing. But as soon as I say that I feel I am leaving out how wonderful the Western was or Bermuda. They are like my children and I can't slight one. :) If I got a free cruise, I would choose the Greek Islands and indeed that is probably what we will do next year. I am anxious to try this Cruisin-thing in Europe!!! I am also anxious to try a more southern route to see St. Kitts and Barbados, but don't know when that will be yet.

this proved to me the value of booking an NCL excursion. we were late by an hour. so the last speed tender from belize city to the ship...zipped us all back while people were looking overboard for this one group holding everyone up.

it was AMAZING!

Of course an non NCL tour might not have pushed it to the limit like yours did ;)

My favorite would probably be my Cape Horn (BA to Valparaiso) cruise on the Crown. Loved that cruise! A close second would be the Sky to Alaska. As you might guess, I'm not a huge fan of the Caribbean, although I've taken my share of those cruises, too, mainly with the ship as the destination.

As for winning a cruise, it would be a toss-up between one of the Med itineraries and the Baltics cruise. No, hold the phone. I would choose the Norwegian Fjords/North Cape cruise.

An itinerary that NCL doesn't offer? Something involving either the Far East (e.g., Singapore, Bali) or Australia/New Zealand.

Hands down favorite was the one where my fiance and I got to visit the bridge as the only guests while the ship left port and then she got to blow the ships whistle when the harbor pilot left. And, we got to visit the engine room too. That one would be hard to top.

My favorite was a back to back on the Spirit. It had nothing to do with the itinerary although we enjoyed it. The staff was so wonderful, the ship was great and not having to leave on the first debarkation morning was the best feeling!! Also having the ship pretty much to yourself for a few hours before they begin boarding was very cool...

They have all been great. I know obviously or we wouldn't keep doing them. But favorite has to be our very first one. 12 days on the Spirit over both Christmas and New Years a couple of years back. Great ship, and itinerary and great people we meet through the roll call here. Still keep in touch with many of them. That cruise hooked us and we just keep coming back.

My all-time favorite cruise of all that I've taken was our May 2002 sailing on the NCL Sun. This particular cruise came at a difficult time for my husband and I. We were in the middle of an international adoption process that had come to a screeching halt because of SARS in China. We were emotionally SO ready for a break from it all. In addition, we connected prior to the cruise with 30 or so Cruise Critic friends online, and we had the BEST time on the ship all week long! We still maintain contact with many of them. It was the perfect trip at the perfect time.

Regina

OOOH, so hard to answer.... after reading everyone elses responses while I thought about it, I have to say the Dawn our first. It's kind of like having a child-you love them all equally but that breath stopping experience of your first is truly an incredible feeling!

I'm not like some of the other posters. I immediately knew which NCL cruise was my favorite without hesitation. When we cruised to Alaska on the Star. For one we love the Star and her crew. Plus Alaska is to me, beyond description as far as it's beauty. Some day I hope to be able to compare it to cruising HI, but I don't know if we would do HI on an NCL cruise. There was something about that cruise, our cruise to Alaska. We were surrounded by 2000+ people on the ship and people on excursions, etc, but Doug and I were so blown away by Alaska's beauty that we felt like we were on a magical trip. Like even though we were surrounded by all these wonderful people, we were still on this trip alone. Hard to explain what I mean by that, but it is for sure a memory that I will hold dear for the rest of my life.

Terry, how aptly put! It was the same way for Chris and myself for most of that cruise. It was the most majestic place I've ever been in my life. My sis and I had lunch the other day and she said her husband is fed up with European cruises but he would really enjoy another cruise to Alaska. It got me thinkin'!:D

Although we have booked the last sail on the Majesty in October to Bermuda, and plan to book the Venice/Greece for 2010 next week. There is always 2011 (Lord willin, as my grandma used to say). The dates for the 9 day CC cruise aren't working for Chris and me right now.

My first cruise on NCL will always be my favorite cruise, I think (time will tell). NCL Jewel. Nine days. First time in the Caribbean (or any place tropical). First time away from two young children (looked after by grandparents). Every moment of that holiday was perfect. That cruise created my cruising addiction. My previous RCCL cruise was fine but did not have the same impact.

All my cruises have been a favorite, for different reasons. Our first NCL cruise was to the Mediterranean. Your first is always the best :D. Also, I was my first trip to Europe and I saw Rome, Florence, Pisa, Monaco, Barcelona.

My fifth was our first time taking a 9 day cruise. More ports, more beaches, more fun.

If I could choose a free cruise, it would be the one that sails from Venice and goes to Greece, as well. In fact, that's probably what we're going to be doing next year.

Ditto what she said. Except I'd add in Messina, Sicily; Positano, Italy; and Nice, France!

Our next cruise next week we get to sail out of New Orleans down the mighty Mississippi! That will be a first; I hear it is awesome. :D

If luck holds we will book Venice to Greece for 2010. That would be a first for us, and on the Gem too, another first.

As for a cruise experience that NCL doesn't offer...I would love to cruise the islands of the South Pacific. My Dad was a sailor in WWII on a sub chaser and I'd love to see the places he did. And, Japan!:)

Having lived three years in Vicenza, Italy, I can't wait for an Adriatic cruise as well from Venice. I will also spend some time in Vicenza either pre cruise or post cruise. It will be like returning to one of my homes. Currently I am saving up, but wouldn't mind winning a free cruise.

Having lived three years in Vicenza, Italy, I can't wait for an Adriatic cruise as well from Venice. I will also spend some time in Vicenza either pre cruise or post cruise. It will be like returning to one of my homes. Currently I am saving up, but wouldn't mind winning a free cruise.

Me either ;)

Easy answer - Pride of America Hawaiin cruise in November 2007. The other two with the modern fleet have been good, as well.

We saw so much in Hawaii. Hawaii Volcanoes, Haleakala, snorkeling near Kona, ziplinine at Haleakala Ranch, and exploring Kauai were all experiences to treasure. The ease of travel on the islands, and being able to rent cars cheaply in every port make Hawaii the ultimate cruise desination for us. Having been to O'ahu for a week the year prior made our focus the other islands, which were absolutely spectacular.

I have a feeling that the Sun from Vancouver to San Francisco will be wonderful, also. Our DD (will be 18 when we go) is really excited to see whales.

Now that I think about it, taking DD on her first cruise last July from NYC to Florida and the Bahamas on the Spririt was pretty special, too. While the Bahamas aren't Hawaii, she had so much fun, that it made it fun for us as well to experience Sea World and Nassau through her eyes. To see a 17-year old girl enter the straw market and learn to haggle was pretty fun. Her eyes were as big as saucers as she walked through looking at all the purses!

Archived