It's the little things...

I think the economy has caused me to slow down some and appreciate more the little things. For most of us a cruise is a big deal. A big expense and lots of effort goes into planning to make sure that it's a perfect and memorable experience. We just decided on our next cruise, and though it is still a year away, I was thinking today about what I really like about cruising, and what I'm most excited about. It seems like it's the little things that have me looking forward to this next cruise.

As I was showering this morning I thought, "I miss the round shower doors."

Or trying something new at breakfast the first morning in the Windjammer, and then finding that it appears on your plate every morning after and your happy about it...how does that happen?

How about watching the deep blue waves splash against the ship from your balcony. The best place in my opinion. No one to disturb you and you can stay as long as you like.

And why is it that the best sunsets are at sea...unless it's the last one you'll see 'til the next cruise.

Funny, but I also miss the feeling you get when you know you have to get off the ship tomorrow and go home, and then you remind yourself that you'll be back sooner or later!

Does anyone else have little things that they love about cruising?

DH loves to pretend he's on the ship when he is in the shower ... he closes his eyes and twirls in a very small circle :rolleyes:

I love the sound of the ocean at night from the balcony and the stars and the moon. I love the color of the ocean ... a deep blue indigo. The rocking of the ship at night to lull one to sleep.

So many different things come to mind. Jan

I miss that rumble and little bumps you get when you put your head down at night on the bed that rocks me to sleep.... and when it's gone you know you've docked.....

I miss checking the TV for the bridge cam. I'd be happy to watch bridge cam all day here.....

Heading out of doors into the garden now we have some sun is lovely but heading out onto a balcony and watching the world go by is lovelier.

I also miss someone making my bed and cleaning my bathroom......

Waking up in a different place everyday!

Watching the crew tie the ship off when it is coming into port!

Sunsets from my balcony!

Knowing my bed will be made everyday!

Finding secret spots on the ship where I can lounge in a chair, read a book, or sleep if I want to!

Great thread!!!

Having the staff treating me as if I am special.

Eating whatever, whenever I want and not having to fix it myself.

No dirty dishes ever

The ships horn at departure signalling the end of a stressful year and the beginning of a wonderful vacation.

Getting up early, getting breakfast in the Windjammer and eating it on a deck chair while the deck is still quiet and there's hardly anyone around.

The Sail-Away party while doing those stoopid line dances "one cent...fi'e cent. Ten cent. DOLLAH!!!!"

Thinking, "Whew, it's only Sunday...still have six nights to go!" "Whew, it's only Monday. Still have five nights to go!"

Counting the number of times you and the people in your group say, "Can you even believe we're moving? Come on, we can't be moving."

Days at Sea.

Adult pool games.

Sitting on a beach chair on a private island.

Saying to the waiter, "I'll have two shrimp cocktails. Why not throw an extra steak onto my plate? And give me the first four desserts on your list."

The free champagne and little hors d'oeuvers at the C&A Welcome Back Party.

How incredibly friendly most bartenders are.

How you can literally do whatever the hell you want on a ship (except take an extra beach towel or go into a restaurant in a bathing suit) and really no one cares.

The 11:30pm deck party.

When the ship is swaying at night and you're walking back to your cabin and you see everyone walk into the walls but you're actually walking perfectly straight, see, cuz you're a little drizzy.

Pulling away from a port.

Pulling away from a port when your ship and the ship next to you "talk" to each other.

Reading these boards even four weeks after you've returned from your cruise and you have no cruise in sight and may not even cruise for well over a year, but you're re-addicted to these boards having been a member and frequent poster since the year 2000 even though your post-count has reset to zero and you realize how fun (and sometimes ANNOYING) and informative these boards can be.

I love my balcony,and watching us come into port,or watching the sunset,with my wife,also love to look at wifes happy face as we wonder around the ship,and the way the crew treats us as good customers,but seeing my wife smile is the best,cause i know she is having a good time;):p

never having to get in the car (and traffic) to go to the grocery store...

at sea days when you lounge with a cool drink in hand, in the middle of the ocean, listening to the reggae music.....

sleeping like a baby at night with the gentle rocking of the ship and the balcony door open and hearing the water sloshing around.....

it's all good:D

I like the fact no one can call me to fix or answer a problem. In fact no one can call me for anything. . When you are in a busness where you work 6 days a week 10 hours a day any days away is nice but especially on a cruise where there is no pressure to do anything. I really look foward to my 2 to 3 cruises a year. Im 45 days from my next . CARL

I work in the Project and Development department for a very large health insurance company, and I'm personally involved in 4-6 major projects that will "go live" on, and around 5/1. I booked our next cruise on 5/10/07 (long before these projects were initiated), and to get me through the stresses of all of my projects, and the issues that will definately come up while I am gone, I do a number of things...

I take my Enchantment of the Seas pen with a floating ship into my meetings, and when things get tense, I keep tipping the pen back and forth, all the while remembering being on deck w/DH at night looking at the inky black sky, as we talked about how blessed we are.

I imagine laying by the pool, listening to the steel drum band, while having the sea breezes cool me down from the heat of the sun.

I remember the server who remembered my name for the whole cruise, even though she only brought me 1 drink prior to sailaway.

I think of the look of utter amazement on DH's face as we stood at the ship's railing, and he realized we were actually going on a cruise!!!:D

(I got a picture of "that look" and it's my favorite.)

There are so many more things that I just don't have the energy. :p

Those are all good ones....totally agree:D

And also add.....Is it just me but that moment when you are GOING UP THE STAIRS FOLLOWING THE SIGN "TO SHIP" WITH YOUR SEAPASS AND THEN STEPPING ONBOARD IS JUST AMAZING!? I almost cry that moment....and then you walk into the ship and just feel that cool ac and smell that ship smell impossible to recreate on land.....gee I really need a cruise....just 9 days! :p:cool:

Those are all good ones....totally agree:D

And also add.....Is it just me but that moment when you are GOING UP THE STAIRS FOLLOWING THE SIGN "TO SHIP" WITH YOUR SEAPASS AND THEN STEPPING ONBOARD IS JUST AMAZING!? I almost cry that moment....and then you walk into the ship and just feel that cool ac and smell that ship smell impossible to recreate on land.....gee I really need a cruise....just 9 days! :p:cool:

OMG!!! I totally forgot the feeling I had when I put my foot onto the gangplank, or whatever it was. I felt the most amazing sense of relaxation, and peace. Less than a month, and it will happen again.:)

I think one of the best things is when you are driving up to the pier and you see your ship -- I immediately get a hugh smile on my face, and you really get excited just knowing that you'll soon be on the ship! That's one of the best things for me -- and begins a great start to a great cruise vacation!

Getting up at the hotel near the port and watching your ship dock, knowing you will be there shortly. Being able to read a book on the balcony with no one around with only the sound of waves lapping at the sid of the ship. Walking on deck with the wind gently blowing in your face and the salt water awakening your sinus. Knowing that the worst day on a cruise ship is better than any day at work!;)

"The One Who Must Be Obeyed" and I have jobs that mean 10-12 hour or more days on a regular basis that are filled with stress. They also mean that people are constantly demanding of your time and attention.

On the other hand, a cruise means that other than the life boat drill and having to get off the ship at the end of the cruise, nothing is mandatory!

Being able to choose when and what to eat, when and how you are to be entertained, not having to answer the phone or e-mails, (etc., etc., etc.) means that is doesn't get any better than that! Just being able to RELAX for 7 or 8 days is the best feeling of all!

Now if we could all just do that while on a cruise and not sweat the small stuff!

for us it the giddy feeling you get taking the taxi ride from the airport to the cruise terminal.

The 430AM wake up to get the airport and take the 1st flight out, then the taxi ride, knowing that in a few short minutes you will be at the pier and ready to board and the next X days will be bliss.

Getting on the ship after a long day of travel, and still having the energy to explore the ship two or three times before you sit down and relax!

All the planning that goes into the vacation, and then finally being able to see the fruits of the labor.

Grabbing that special one and giving them a big ole kiss, and saying, "We are on vacation!!!"

The 430AM wake up to get the airport and take the 1st flight out...

This is where I differ. I've had too many bad experiences with flying.

For me, I need to get off the airplane and see ALL our bags. That's when the stress evaporates and I am truly in cruise mode.

Bob

This is where I differ. I've had too many bad experiences with flying.

For me, I need to get off the airplane and see ALL our bags. That's when the stress evaporates and I am truly in cruise mode.

Bob

I agree with you Bob, as I'm sitting here right now watching a show called "Air Emergencies."

But after that it's all good, like someone said from the time you step on the gangplank and hear the seapass activate it's so exciting. Isn't it funny how on the first day everyone is so happy and smiling :D and then on the last day when we have to disembark everyone looks so sad and miserable.:(

Archived