Valor vs. Eurodam

elou

Hi, I'm a Princess cruiser, but would like to try other lines. Has anyone been on HAL. Want to go around October, also I'm in mid 60's. Most important to me is the nightly shows and the daytime sea activities (inside activities). I'm not a sea day fan. Food, not so important. I like the itinerary with Valor, but wonder if I want to try CCL again (20 years ago); though I've heard it has changed for the better. Any help please.

Hi

I just sailed on my first HAL cruise, the Eurodam, in February. I've only been on Princess once also, the Grand Princess. I've been on Royal Caribbean several times over the years, and many Carnival, but not in the last 10 years:) Tried Norwegian once too.

I was very unimpressed with the Eurodam. I booked a caegory VD balcony which I enjoyed because it was larger than the other balconies of that price range. Other than that I though there were very few activites on board and was not crazy about the shows at night. Food in the dining room was ok to blah and we had open seating.........our service on most nights was horrendous.........I actually wrote to HAL about it, first time I've ever written a company with complaints.

I will tell you that others I met up with enjoyed the trip and did not have the dining room complaints that I did........coincidentally they had traditional seating.

Too sedate for me........but most of all the wonderful service that everyone raves about was not there.

I planned on booking the 10 night Noordam for next year when I came home, but instead we booked the Carnival Dream.

Good luck with your decision:)

Karen

Hi, I'm a Princess cruiser, but would like to try other lines. Has anyone been on HAL. Want to go around October, also I'm in mid 60's. Most important to me is the nightly shows and the daytime sea activities (inside activities). I'm not a sea day fan. Food, not so important. I like the itinerary with Valor, but wonder if I want to try CCL again (20 years ago); though I've heard it has changed for the better. Any help please.

The Valor is a much larger ship. The crowds will be noticeable to you.

As for the look and feel. Valor and CCL is more 'Vegas' I found the service on HAL superior in the dining room and cabins, and CCL is a bit more frenetic in activities. The shows are about the same...maybe slightly better on CCL.

On the plus side for Carnival the cabins are slightly larger and the prices cheaper.

Karen -- I agree with you. We sailed on the Osterdam last year (usually do CCL) and we were VERY disappointed in that cruise, especially since we could have done the same one (Mexican Riviera) on CCL much cheaper! Ship seemed to be a little "fancier", but that was about it. Day activies - hardly none, shows weren't impressive at all and the food was just "so so". The ports were great, but it just seemed kind of "boring" on our days at sea. Oh well, to each his own.

I was also on the Eurodam last fall and I was not all that impressed with her ~ a little to blah for my taste. What I did enjoy about her was the thermal suites "package" which we purchased separtely. Pure relaxation:D. My balcony was okay ~ I liked the way Carnival had the room set up on the Miracle & Legend better. The food was good was good but nothing to rave over. I also had open seating and got lucky with our waiters and was able to keep the same table 4 times . The rest of the time we had moderate to slow service. People that I spoke with had mixed reviews though ~ some people just loved her, while others didn't. Main reason for dislike was boring and no color. The crew was fantastic. This was my 3rd HAL cruise.

This year we are booked on CCL's Freedom which is the same class as the Valor. I think her decor will be a little more lively and not as depressing! I booked both cruises mainly for the ports. Last year I wanted to go to Tortola and we will be going back to Tortola on this cruise along with Antigua.

I have never been on Princess and I am 51. Hope you have a great cruise whatever ship you pick.

LU

Archived