Warm Chocolate Melting cake

Waitin to cruise

OH MY Gosh! Just seeing that photo of the chocolate melting cake makes my mouth water. It is my very FAVORITE dessert on Carnival. I ask for it every night. And yes, I have a picture of it too in my cruise scrapbook album. Hmmmm....I wonder if they have anything like that on NCL? I don't know if I can bear to cruise and not have it.

Kathy in Maine

OH MY Gosh! Just seeing that photo of the chocolate melting cake makes my mouth water. It is my very FAVORITE dessert on Carnival. I ask for it every night. And yes, I have a picture of it too in my cruise scrapbook album. Hmmmm....I wonder if they have anything like that on NCL? I don't know if I can bear to cruise and not have it.

Kathy in Maine

It has been 6 years since I cruised NCL - but they didn't have it then :mad:

Will this do until you find what you want?

CARNIVAL'S FLOURLESS CHOCOLATE CAKE

Unsweetened cocoa powder

2 (8-oz.) packages semisweet chocolate squares, coarsely chopped

1/2 cup butter - do not use margarine

5 large eggs, separated

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup sugar

Grease a 9-inch springform pan, and dust with unsweetened cocoa powder.

Melt chopped chocolate and butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth.

Whisk together egg yolks and vanilla in a large bowl. Gradually stir in warm chocolate mixture, whisking until well blended.

Beat egg whites at high speed with electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating until sugar dissolves and stiff peaks form. Fold one-third beaten egg white mixture into chocolate mixture; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture just until blended. Spoon batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. (Do not overbake!) Let stand in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes before removing sides of pan.

From

popcorngal user_offline.gif

Cool Cruiser

orange-fish.gifmarieinsouthfla user_offline.gif

Cool Cruiser

icon1.gifWarm Melting Chocolate Cake --Got the recipe!

Okay, finally got around to do doing some math. My conversion (check the math......have NOT baked it yet) yields the following recipe:

8 oz. dark chocolate (.5 lb)

8 oz. butter (2 sticks)

5 eggs

5 oz. sugar (5/8 Cup)

3 oz. flour (2/3 Cup)

Pour into greased mold. (Carnival serves it in ramekins.) Bake at 400 F for 12-14 minutes.

The recipe Carnival sent me did not include the yield for their "jumbo" recipe. (As one poster above wondered.) I am guessing (hope it works, please don't flame me if it doesn't) that the above would yield about 8 ramekins, give or take a couple either way. I would also guess that you would fill each ramekin maybe 2/3 full with the batter???

Happy Baking, and the first one to try it, post and let us know how it is!

P.S. It's not in the recipe, but on our cruise, Carnival topped the cake with powdered sugar, and served vanilla ice cream on the side.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived