Where is the Emerald Seas?

I, too, went on the Emerald Seas for a Senior trip in 1984. My high school graduated 17 people, so we were very sheltered, but extremely close. Needless to say, we pretty much went WILD! :D It was a blast!! Looking at the pictures from an above link, I can't believe how small the ship was. I remember it seeming huge to me. Thanks for the memories!:rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

We sailed on Emerald Seas in the 80's. In fact, we went through a tremendous wind storm on this ship returning from the Bahamas to Miami. Everything glass on the ship was broken. We were awakened in the night to the sound of our room service tray flying off the dresser into the wall of the cabin. Anyone visit Little Stirrup Cay as a port of call on this ship (now known as CocoCay I believe)? An interesting memory to share (you might remember the peacocks and Diver Dan):

http://www.blue-n-gold.com/halfdan/diverdan.htm

• 2 weeks later...

I used to work for the sister company Western Cruise Lines out of LA back in the early 80's and the vessel was the Azure Seas. We had some very memorable weekend trips to Ensenada back then.

I hadn't been on a cruise for a while until we booked on an Olivia charter on a ship called the SS Ocean Breeze. I was hoping we were finally going to travel on a new ship. I was sooooo disappointed when I found out it was the Azure Seas with a new name. At least I knew my way around the thing!

Loved the Emerald Seas - still have my first hand written boarding pass and cabin card! A good friend of mine from school worked in the main office in the early 80's - so we used up all of our vacation time taking trips on The Emerald Seas or the Dolphin IV. Great ships, great crew and fond memories.

I never sailed on the Emerald Seas. In 1973 I sailed from Miami to Nassau and Freeport on the Bahama Star. I was with a group of 30 high school seniors, 20 of which were girls. Being the only females under the age of 65, we spent a lot of time enjoying the attention of the male crew of the the Star. 6 of us were invited to tour the Emerald Seas and were treated to dinner with it's Captain while docked in Nassau. The Emerald Seas captain took us on a personal tour of the ship and we were thrilled to be such privilidged guests. Oh how those days were so different from today!! She was a beautiful ship. Of course, the Bahama Star was my frist cruise and I thought she was a gift from heaven!!

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any photos from the inside of the Emerald Seas? I'm going to try and find mine.

One of my memories was of trying to make a beer can pyramid with empty cans, but they wanted to keep cleaning off our table!!:p

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Ocianic64 Quote: " I also worked on the Emerald Seas from 1974 -1977 in the slot machines. Is there any chance that you were signed on at the same time?"

Hi,

What is your name? Did you work for Eddie who was the Slots manager?

I remember he & his wife both worked on the Emerald Seas and lived in Vegas. I recall he & his wife had bought a bunch of "Bally" stock fairly cheap and hopefully made a fortune!

Hi. Sorry I took so long to reply but I have been out to sea. When I worked there the manager was Ellio who was also the bar manager. I worked on the Maxim Gorki a Russian ship and a bunch of others for relief work. It was my self and a fine gentleman from Jamaca named Albert Brown. My name is Bob.

I had to convince my parents to take my sister and I on a cruise. I found an incredible deal for a three night cruise in an inside cabin. Were we surprised when we embarked and found our cabin; we had been upgraded to a balcony suite!:D

The following year my sister and I (we were both under 25) went on a 5 day cruise again on the ES...again the upgrade fairy paid us a visit.

That type of upgrade NEVER happens anymore!

My first cruise was also on the SS Emerald Seas. It was my senior trip in 1983. We took an all night bus ride to Miami, and then the cruise stopped in Nassau and Freeport. It was a blast! I was in a quad cabin down in the bottom of the ship. My older sister was one of our chaperones lol...Boy it was a long ride back home on the bus though! Scary Pics Attached.......

I think the ship has now been scrapped :(

sc00dab627.jpg.11567d8a9f1963d07f9c51193c3a14dc.jpg

sc00daebbb.jpg.10708ee97501608a268cda45af8c574c.jpg

sc00db1594.jpg.bcfadccd57ab180269ef59dfc6367e2d.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed watching the video. My first cruise was on the Emerald Seas in 1974 with a girlfriend from college. I have many fond memories of the ship and it was the Emerald Seas that hooked me on cruising. She was a lovely ship! My next cruise is planned for next month on the Summit!

• 3 weeks later...
I worked for Eastern Steamship Lines when they had the Emerald Seas. It is so tru about the cabins and I think I had one of every type and we were aboard many, many times.

She was a good product for her time and I personally miss the smaller ships!

Hello! I am hoping that as a former crew member of the SS Emerald Seas that you may be able to help me. I sailed on the ship in 1981, and became friends with a waiter in the dining room by the name of Carlos A. P. d'Almeida (or d'Aloreida). I think he was from Brazil. His native language is portugese. I have been trying to find him for years. Did you know him, or do you remember him? Do you have any suggestions for how I could find out where he went when he left the ship as a starting point for locating him? Any assistance or suggestions you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Admiral Seas was my wife and I's first cruise back in 1989. It was pre-kids back when were were in our 20's. We've been on one cruise since (Disney Wonder in 1998, post-kids), and I have to say that I have more fond memories of that first one than I do the second. The food was definitely better than on Disney. The service probably was as well. I have fond memories of my first night there on my first cruise. Had steak and lobster for dinner. Raved about how good it was to the waiter. He asked if I'd "like some more". I didn't know if he was talking about my drink or something, so I replied, "More what?" He said, "Steak, lobster, or both". It was then that I understood cruising! And yes, I had two steaks and two lobsters that night! :)

Going to that link and reading the history was interesting. Thanks for posting it. Going to try to re-create that small-boat experience on the Holiday in 29 days. Can't wait!

Daniel

One quick story I just remembered from that trip. There was an almost cliche' "Love Boat" feel that I got from it. One older retired and single lady at our table "had a thing" with the ship doctor. Traveled the Emerald Seas a few times a year to be with him. High-jinks on the high seas! :D And from "seniors" no less! :eek:

I was on the Emerald Seas in 1976 for my Senior trip. Fun times!!! :D It's great seeing the pictures of her on here. I was wondering what had happened to her. I remember when we were docked at Nassau, we just walked over to the Flavia, walked right inside and took a tour, no security, no problem!! :)

I sailed on the Emerald Seas with my best friend in 1989. I still can't believe our parents let us go. We had a blast. Our room was huge, the food was better than any cruise food today (ditto on the steak and lobster...it was delicious) and we danced the night away. The song "Funky Cold Medina" was very popular as well as this drink on board. Does anyone remember this? We also went downstairs to party with the crew...it was so much fun. I would love to see pics of inside the ship, I can't find mine. Thanks for the memories!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My first cruise, I was going in the 1st grade was on Emerald Seas out of Miami with my parents and grandparents. Not many people cruised back then, we were from NC and actually made the local newspaper! My grandfather won the on board skeet shooting contest and they featured all of us in our local news paper that next week after we got back. local celebrities because we went on a cruise! It was awesome. I remember the small cabin with the drop down bed, the golden/green decor with fuzzy material on the walls that matched the golden/green carpet! I also remember the attention to detail the crew always had and our waiter who had a fake pet mouse in his pocket who used to drop it on people and would get a lot of laughs. They also had flambe desserts! Those were the days huh? I assume this is the same ship, maybe a different ship with the same name but I know it was Emerald Seas! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I sailed on ES in May 1979, on my Senior Trip Allen Central High School. I still have such good memories of the trip. It was a much different time and so much has changed. I really love thinking about the trip and all my friends with me.

• 5 months later...
I worked for Eastern Steamship Lines when they had the Emerald Seas. It is so tru about the cabins and I think I had one of every type and we were aboard many, many times.

Hi, you mentioned that you worked on the emeral seas, around what time was this. Please email me so that i can contact you. This is not spam, scam or a joke. I am trying to find a person that worked on the Emeral Seas when she used to come to the Bahamas around 1978/79/80. I would really appreciate that. You can either post back or email me at jasonthecat@gmail.com.

Thanks

Hi, please contact me via my email jasonthecat@gmail.com. you mentioned that you worked on the emeral seas. I am trying to locate my father who met a local gal in Nassau and had me.

thanks,

Ocianic64 Quote: " I also worked on the Emerald Seas from 1974 -1977 in the slot machines. Is there any chance that you were signed on at the same time?"

Hi,

What is your name? Did you work for Eddie who was the Slots manager?

I remember he & his wife both worked on the Emerald Seas and lived in Vegas. I recall he & his wife had bought a bunch of "Bally" stock fairly cheap and hopefully made a fortune!

Hi. Sorry I took so long to reply but I have been out to sea. When I worked there the manager was Ellio who was also the bar manager. I worked on the Maxim Gorki a Russian ship and a bunch of others for relief work. It was my self and a fine gentleman from Jamaca named Albert Brown. My name is Bob.

Is there any chance you worked around 1978/1979/1980 or do you know anyone that worked around that time? My father met my mother in Nassau around that time. His name supposedly was Luis Flores from Colombia or Lewis Flowers I don't think my mother could remember. If there is anything you can do to help me find him i'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

email me at jasonthecat@gmail.com

He may have worked in enginerring but that may not have been correct.