Messina to Taormina

We will stop at Messina on our Solstice cruise and will be in port from 10am to 6pm. I have done my search on this board and have looked at current train and bus schedules. From the current schedules, taking a bus to Taormina and returning by train, we may only have 2.5 to 3 hours in Taormina. This would also be in the afternoon when the shops would be closed and I wouldn't want to take the last possible train back in case of delays or problems. My question is: Is this enough time in Taormina or should we try to arrange a private guide so we can get there earlier?

Thanks for any input.

First of all, being a heavy tourist attraction, I would expect most of the shops to be open. Second, 2.5 to 3 hours should be plenty unless you want to climb to the top of the mountain for a better view.

You are wise to save the last possible train as a backup.

We will stop at Messina on our Solstice cruise and will be in port from 10am to 6pm. I have done my search on this board and have looked at current train and bus schedules. From the current schedules, taking a bus to Taormina and returning by train, we may only have 2.5 to 3 hours in Taormina. This would also be in the afternoon when the shops would be closed and I wouldn't want to take the last possible train back in case of delays or problems. My question is: Is this enough time in Taormina or should we try to arrange a private guide so we can get there earlier?

Thanks for any input.

This was exactly the way we did it when we docked at Messina (leave on Bus and return on Train). This was a few years ago, and if my memory serves me correct, one reason was that the bus takes you all the way up to Taormina (on a hill) while the train does not. On the return you'll pass by a beautiful garden and then hiking back down to catch the train. When we were there, most of the shops were open during siesta time. It's very commercial and very beautiful especially the main square and the arena overlooking that famous volcano in Sicily (don't remember names) and the garden near exit to the train station if I remember correctly. I think 3 hours is enough time. It's not big. But remember to leave some time for you to hike down to catch the train. The bus is VERY slow since there was lots of traffic when we were there. Make sure you have a good map to show you how to get to the bus station. We had a little difficulty finding the bus station eventhough we're not shy about asking for directions. I remembered walking to the bus station (main bus station) and it's not close. Watch out for cars! All said and done, it's well worth it. Good luck and have fun.

There is no need to hike down to the train station. There is a bus from the very place that the Messina bus drops you off. Just check the schedule board when you arrive so you know what time to catch the bus for the station.

Regarding the station. There is a good probability that the ticket booth will be closed. There is a multi-language machine that takes CC and ATM cards. If it is the later, treat it as as CC or it will not recognize it.

Thanks for your comments GPSLover and Lisalovlee33. GPSLover - you have an excellent website. I have referenced it many times for information. We are arriving in Italy a few days early to visit Cinque Terre.

On our most recent Caribbean cruise we had to be back on board 30 minutes before sailing time. Is this the case on the Med. cruises or do they require you back earlier? Seems to me our Western Mediterranean cruise 5 years ago on RCI required us to be back 1 hour before sailing.

We also have a short stay in Messina off the Noordam next month. Does it pay to purchase train tickets online before we go? Would that be a time saver (thinking about trying to make the 7:35AM train)?

The trains are regionale trains. No reserved seats, just a ticket for the 'right of passage.' Nothing gained by buying in advance. Vending machines in the station only take a couple of minutes to get a ticket.

Hello,

Like you, I have been researching the best way to get to Taormina from Messina with the same time frame(10am-6pm) on a RCI cruise. You are quite right that with the late arrival in port, taking the next available bus or train realistically only allows a couple hours in Taormina. I did contact Romeinlimo for an estimate on a driver from Messina to Taormina, but at 550 euros for 7, the price was just too steep. I have to wonder with the bus or train travel time over an hour each way, is the trip to Taormina really worth it? Are there any interesting alternatives to Taormina that are closer to Messina? Is there any better way to do the Taormina, Messina trip in this time frame?

GSP, with your extensive experience with Italy and Italian trains, have you ran into any problems with credit cards that don't have a chip or pin, which is discussed in another thread? How about for the Italian train vending machines? Do the the vending machines take cash?

GSP, with your extensive experience with Italy and Italian trains, have you ran into any problems with credit cards that don't have a chip or pin, which is discussed in another thread? How about for the Italian train vending machines? Do the the vending machines take cash?

Used the vending machines several times on our last trip (CC, ATM and cash.) No problems with any. None of the cards had a chip. When using the ATM it must have a Visa or Mastercard logo - run it as a CC. If you try to run it as an debit card, it will not be recognized. Cash is cash - money in, ticket and change(maybe) out.

A note about the vending machines: Most of them have the ticket validation machine built in (slightly to right and below slot where you get your ticket.)

Archived