You favorite Barbados Beach!

swom

For all you past cruisers to Barbados and also the wonderful people that live in Barbados, please post your favorite beach here and tell us why it was the best. Be it the snorkeling, the scenery, the calm waters, the activities it offered.........tell us why you loved the beach you went to.

I'm still going back and forth in trying to decide what beach to go to here and I would really appreciate everyones input on their favorite beach and why you thought it was the best.

Thanks!

I would have to say Bathsheba . . . the rock formations on the beach are awesome . . . you really don't get a feel for how huge they are until you see people climbing on them . . . they are absolutely huge.

Since it faces the Atlantic, the ocean is much rougher than the Caribbean side. You can watch the low-crested, foamy waves roll in for a quarter mile out. However, there is also a part that is THE surfing spot. I would not recommend swimming unless you were a "strong" swimmer; however, there are a couple of naturally protected (by rocks) pools where you can get wet.

The Caribbean is full of "perfect" beaches . . . this one offers something unusual; a real change of pace.

My ship overnighted here, and I spent a night at the Atlantis hotel (spartan digs). But, dinner on the veranda, with a full-moon, with the waves rolling in made for a very memorable experience. (In fact, if I had the money, I would buy the Atlantis and turn it into something special).

You realize you need to spend a week here...?

I realize I only have a day and want to make the best of it. You, aplmac, have been a godsend to the Barbados site and I would LOVE to know what beach is your absolute favorite and why?

I also want other cruisers to tell me what their favorite was/is and why.

Just trying to decide...........Leaning toward either Folkestone or Accura or Dickenson or............LOL, yep, I'm still going back and forth here.

For all you past cruisers to Barbados and also the wonderful people that live in Barbados, please post your favorite beach here and tell us why it was the best. Be it the snorkeling, the scenery, the calm waters, the activities it offered.........tell us why you loved the beach you went to.

I'm still going back and forth in trying to decide what beach to go to here and I would really appreciate everyones input on their favorite beach and why you thought it was the best.

Thanks!

You are asking too much to name one favourite :p

Here are my tops by coast:

East Side, Bath and Bathsheeba - Bath is very very protected by offshore reefs, a new access road is being built, lots of parking and a new bar and modern change facility will be open about April 3rd. The waves are quite calm and the swimming wonderful. On a recent weekday with the ships in town there were less than a dozen people there - lots of workers working on the buildings and also 3 soldiers visited along with 1 police officer as part of their rounds. Bathsheeba is an awesome beach from a visual aspect and there are nice tidal pools from where you can watch the big breakers rolling in.

West Side, Mullins and Heywoods - not overly busy but not quiet either - easy access by taxi and lots of parking at Heywoods. Nice restaurants and lots of local business nearby as well. Watersports easily accessible.

SouthWest - Accra/Rockley and Silver Sands - Accra/Rockley has some interesting waves, vendors, umbrellas and lots of stores and eating places within close walking distance. Silver Sands has some windsurfing and surfing potential (Zed's Surfing Adventure and Da Action Shop).

SouthEast - Crane - has healthy waves but also has a long flat run in so there are lots of different wave areas and depths to play in. Umbrellas available along with some local vendors - resort or public access.

North - no beach but the area around the Animal Flower Cave is stunning - high cliffs, good swells and waves coming in - breathtaking.

Cheers

Jason

I would LOVE to know what beach is your absolute favorite and why?

Oy!

Living here for 57 years now... you take things for granted...

First impulse is to say Accra Beach because I grew up hanging out there with teenage friends

falling in love at 18 ..soppy stuff like that..

It's also very conveniently accessible for South Coast residents!

There's shade(imperative for me with a skin history), drinks and snacks nearby

lots of parking, Chefette right over the road

and turquoise water to die for..

Sandy Lane on the West Coast is a sparkler too, make no mistake about that

but it's hard to get to these days.

Cattlewash over on the East Coast, just North of Bathsheba

is where Barbadadian families spend many school holidays

and is purty much the only safe place to get wet up to your waist, catch waves in to shore

-go where you see locals go in, and nowhere else(I shouldn't even be mentioning this place)

but there's loooots of East Coast beach there to walk and run, take pictures

even if "swimming" is very limited.

You've asked a tough question but

I still think Accra/Rockley is the easiest, all-things-considered locale

-even if it is a bit crowded on weekends

and God knows you have to put up with the bikini-scenery. :cool:

Life is tough. :D

• 4 weeks later...

So obviously there are some gorgeous beaches on Barbados.

Ideally my husband and I are looking for a beautiful beach with access to a hotel so that we may do an all-inclusive day or just use their pool and facilities throughout the day. Can anyone recommend such a place? I'd be v. thankful.

Oh, one final query - we've been to other islands where homeless animals gathered near/on the beach and it's very upsetting to me - so are there areas where we are less likely to run into homeless/hungry animals? (I deal w/abused/neglected animals on a daily basis and on vacation, it's just too emotionally upsetting.) Thanks.

So obviously there are some gorgeous beaches on Barbados.

Ideally my husband and I are looking for a beautiful beach with access to a hotel so that we may do an all-inclusive day or just use their pool and facilities throughout the day. Can anyone recommend such a place? I'd be v. thankful.

Oh, one final query - we've been to other islands where homeless animals gathered near/on the beach and it's very upsetting to me - so are there areas where we are less likely to run into homeless/hungry animals? (I deal w/abused/neglected animals on a daily basis and on vacation, it's just too emotionally upsetting.) Thanks.

Jolly Beach has this but don't know about the price. I think I've read on here it's 75.00 pp but not sure.

I am looking at my foster pup I just got today and will keep until Thursday. She's had parvo and they needed a home that have kept Parvo pups before and that's me. I take in the sick ones and get them healthy and send them back to the SPCA to be adopted. It's not easy to give them up, but after having several dogs over 30 some years, I can't go through the heartbreak of losing anymore. So this way I get my puppy fix and don't have to deal with the pain of death when they get old.

I understand what you mean about not wanting to deal with seeing this on vacation.............that's what I wanted to say........but I got carried away. On vacation, you want everything perfect in a perfect world that you visit. Even though you know it's not so, it's your vacation, so you want it perfect.

Enjoy your cruise. We are leaving the same day as you, but on Princess leaving from San Juan and I can't wait!!!!!

Jolly Beach has this but don't know about the price. I think I've read on here it's 75.00 pp but not sure.

I am looking at my foster pup I just got today and will keep until Thursday. She's had parvo and they needed a home that have kept Parvo pups before and that's me. I take in the sick ones and get them healthy and send them back to the SPCA to be adopted. It's not easy to give them up, but after having several dogs over 30 some years, I can't go through the heartbreak of losing anymore. So this way I get my puppy fix and don't have to deal with the pain of death when they get old.

I understand what you mean about not wanting to deal with seeing this on vacation.............that's what I wanted to say........but I got carried away. On vacation, you want everything perfect in a perfect world that you visit. Even though you know it's not so, it's your vacation, so you want it perfect.

Enjoy your cruise. We are leaving the same day as you, but on Princess leaving from San Juan and I can't wait!!!!!

Thank you so much for not only the possible all-inclusive recommendation but also for understanding my need to just get away from the suffering for just a few days.

I commend you for taking in the sick dogs and nursing them back to health. That is one tough endeavor and for you to be able to do it on a regular basis - well, that's just plain AWESOME!

Enjoy your cruise - we're also leaving from San Juan that day. =)

Aplmac: If someone wanted to stay a week, which beach resort would you recommend to stay at.
Your big choice is between West Coast and South Coast.

The South Coast is more lively, young-at-heart

but if you're a more-mature type

the West Coast might be more to your liking

-albeit maybe a bit more pricey!

Google it thoroughly and you'll find what you're looking for.

High season(prices) are Dec. 15th. - April 15th.

you might want to avoid that time of year..;)

Accra/Rockley

Another vote for Accra! Our day in Barbados (4-8-09 already seems like ages ago!) started out cloudy with light rain, but we had a cab driver take us to Accra from the port for $15. It is too bad it was cloudy, because the snorkeling was the best I have ever experienced! The submerged breakwater/reef is about 100 yards off shore and maybe isn't visited that often, but was covered in fish and sealife! Small bits of coral outcropping come quite close to shore on the east end of the beach if you aren't adventurous or a strong enough swimmer to make it out to the breakwater/reef, but nothing compared to the rest of it.

I have a sample size of one in thinking it is the best beach in Barbados, but if you are after snorkeling it is a real winner!

Is the Accra beach the Malibu beach break on RCCL's list of excursions?
No way!

Accra's on another strip of coastline altogether! ;)

Malibu beach is just North of the Port,very close - Accra's over on the South Coast

and there's not a lot of comparison between them! :)

How much is the cab ride to Accra from the pier?

Apparently the "list" rate is $20. However, my wife cannot live with herself if she doesn't bargain and bullied the poor guy down to $15. It was only about a twenty minute ride. There is a nice open air grill across the street from the beach as well. The flying fish sandwich was quite tasty, but my wife's portion of mahi mahi was much larger.

We were in Barbados in the beginning of April and after driving myself crazy for weeks looking for the best beach to spend the day we decided on Accra. Thanks Alpmac for all of your advice and pictures. Although my photos don't compare with many already posted here I have to share a few of them since I just learned how to do this!!

Summitt2009145-1.jpg

Summitt2009155.jpg

Summitt2009152.jpg

Summitt2009149-1-1.jpg

Our taxi driver dropped us off at the far end of this beach near a bar that I can't remember the name of (sorry!). Anyway, the chair was free with any purchase and as you can see the shade was natural! This worked out well for us since I love the sun but for medical reasons my husband needs shade. We had a very relaxing time and the view was priceless!

Archived