Valletta - insight please

Just a few thoughts from someone who lived in Malta ... unless you're really keen, I'd give up the Blue Grotto and Dingli Cliffs (nothing much there) and consider Mdina (the silent city) or a harbor cruise which takes you to the three inlets.

Even though Malta is small there are alot of cars and narrow roads so traveling time is alot slower than we're used to.

This site may be of interest to you http://www.touringmalta.com/index.htm

I'll be cruising the Med in June too but my day in Malta will be catching up with friends there.

Vera

CruizinFamilyof5,

Hey, I see you´re back again :D! Sorry, I won´t be joining you this time for the Trivias. Enjoy the GEM! I like her better than the JADE.

I second Vera regarding the Blue Grotto. I don´t know the opening hours of Tarxien. But the Hypogaeum and Tarxien are not too far away from each other. So maybe you´re going to Tarxien first. Then go back to Valletta after the Hypo and spend the afternoon there. Have some local pastries (Pastizzi, with ricotta or green peas) and try out the Kinnie (local orange soda with herb extracts). If you haven´t been to Mdina and Rabat go there!

steamboats

Hello Steamboats!

You like the Gem? :D Great! I think we got flights to/from Barcelona with the longest layovers possible. LOL. We're spending a day in Amsterdam and a day in Paris. Any suggestions on hotels in Paris with easy train access back to the airport? I should locate Brian for some tips. I see you're going to Alaska! What stops are you making? BTW, I read that the Gem has a self-service laundromat? Is that a fact?

You really must read Nicholas Monsarrat's book "The Kappillan of Malta". It's extremely well written and makes the history of Malta come alive. I'm thinking it's probably out of print now, but I found my copy on Amazon. Once you've finished the book, you will know exactly what you want to see while there! I promise!

CruizinFamilyof5,

Sorry, I´ve never been to Paris. Brian should be the better one to give you some hints.

Yes, the Gem has a self service laundry but I haven´t seen it (actually I did realize that - and it was confirmed on this board - when I researched for the Jade trip).

Alaska is out of Vancouver with stops in Juneau, Skagway and Icy Strait Point. We´ve been to Alaska in 2005 so port stops aren´t the most important for us. It´s sort of a group cruise by a bunch of people chatting here on CC.

steamboats

For a museum of military value, you will find a wonderful collection of WWII photographs, one of the three little biplanes that defended Malta in WWII, and the George Cross which was awarded to the people of Malta by King George VI for their bravery...all located at the Malta War Museum. You'll find this small museum located inside Fort St. Elmo. If you have completed reading the Kappilan of Malta, you will see for yourself many of the things included in the book. It was one of our "highlights".

We have a soft spot for Malta for the reasons given in my earlier post but here are a few personal pointers (we were there just a year ago and then last September on our first cruise.

1 Do not bother with Marsasloxx on a short stopover, we lived there as newly weds 38 years ago, the charm has gone (from our much loved village), it is no longer a true small picturesque fishing port but a greatly expanded tourist trap with a container port across the headland where we used to walk. Predictably I could bore you for hours on this, but I see you have nodded off already.

The Neolithic side of Malta must not be missed, it is simply unique. We are not talking Dolmans here, the Hypogeum is, well ,words fail me, but simply must be seen. if you have the oportunity to see it, and do not take it, perhaps Disneyland would be more suitable. (n.b. I love Disneyland but then I am only 64).

Valetta is a lovely city, St John's Cathederal a masterpiece and the post siege fortifications simply heroic in scale. However, rember the sieg e was centred on the other side of the harbour.

Finally, try and take in a good harbour cruise of the 'five cities' for water views. Malta is to all intents a unique city state, not only a premedieval relic that survived the bullying of multiple great powers, but also a possible pointer for the future.

PS The people are very affable and friendly to lost mariners, I call St Paul as my leading witness to that!

For a museum of military value, you will find a wonderful collection of WWII photographs, one of the three little biplanes that defended Malta in WWII, and the George Cross which was awarded to the people of Malta by King George VI for their bravery...all located at the Malta War Museum. You'll find this small museum located inside Fort St. Elmo. If you have completed reading the Kappilan of Malta, you will see for yourself many of the things included in the book. It was one of our "highlights".

FYI, Fort St. Elmo is closed for restoration now. (Husband is a military history person and has posted a forum thread on this issue of when will it re-open with the tripadvisor forum.) May not be open this summer.

We are looking forward to our visit to Malta while traveling on the NCL Gem. The ship itinerary shows us arriving at 8 am and leaving at 3 pm. We would like to buy tickets for 4 of us but there is only availability at 9 am or 1 pm. I hope someone will be able to answer a couple of questions so we can make a good decision.

Can anyone tell us how long it will take to get from the port to the Hypogeum?

What is the best bus route to take to make sure we use our time efficiently?

How long will be be spending on the tour?

I think my only option would be 9am but not sure we would get off, find the right bus and make our way in time to make it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

:) The Hypogeum is close to the port. I'm guessing 20 minutes? Not sure about traffic though. Get a taxi off the ship if you pick 9am and then get the HO HO bus from there. I believe it's one of the stops or public bus. That is my opinion rather than take the chance of not getting in. The tour is close to an hour (audio tour). No cameras allowed inside, but you can check them in.

We are looking forward to our visit to Malta while traveling on the NCL Gem. The ship itinerary shows us arriving at 8 am and leaving at 3 pm. We would like to buy tickets for 4 of us but there is only availability at 9 am or 1 pm. I hope someone will be able to answer a couple of questions so we can make a good decision.

Can anyone tell us how long it will take to get from the port to the Hypogeum?

What is the best bus route to take to make sure we use our time efficiently?

How long will be be spending on the tour?

I think my only option would be 9am but not sure we would get off, find the right bus and make our way in time to make it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

your time is limited. Avoid taking the bus. Although Malta is small we have lots of traffic on the road. Take a taxi. I believe the hypogeum site tells you how long the tour lasts. By taxi, it should take you 15 minutes. I was on the Gem last summer. Fantastic ship. Very nice and bright. i would book 9 am then after go straight into Valletta and drown yourself in History but do some Homework so you will have a rough idea of what you want to see and make the most of your time here.

Yes, the Gem has a self service laundry but I haven´t seen it (actually I did realize that - and it was confirmed on this board - when I researched for the Jade trip).

steamboats

The Gem's laundry was closed in February. NCL is closing self-serve laundrys on all ships, but offers laundry specials throughout the cruise.

The Gem's laundry was closed in February. NCL is closing self-serve laundrys on all ships, but offers laundry specials throughout the cruise.

On the JADE they removed the self-service laundry last spring. I´m sorry to hear that they are closing all laundries. This was a plus on NCL ships.

steamboats

Archived