Celebrity compared to HAL

AZgolfergal

Anyone care to offer comparisons of cruising on Celebrity vs. HAL? We have been very happy with the service/dining on HAL but are booked for our first cruise on the Celebrity Mercury. One thing I've noticed is that there is no self-serve laundry. :( Thanks for your response.........

Either these boards are really slow today or everybody is over on RCCL with the captain's club benefit changes so I'll get this started.

We just completed our first HAL cruise on Noordam (also no self serve laundry) and have sailed Mercury twice. Products are VERY similar so I'll just hit some not to miss or to look for things.

Champagne or OJ on boarding. Nice touch and way to start off.

Sorbet parade by the pool on sea days. Definitely Cute.

Ice Cream. Made on board, free and actually a bit better than HAL

Bread sticks in the dining room.

Custom made pizza's in the pizzeria

Sushi before dinner. Doesn't get buried in lunch choices.

Wrap sandwiches. Much better than HAL.

The special brunch in the dining room which replaces the midnight buffet.

Afternoon tea each day in the buffet area.

A or multiple martini tastings in the Martini Bar.

Demographics, activities, and even layouts are pretty similar so you should have an easy time when you get on board. Have a great cruise!

We have only sailed HAL once, on the Z; and, we were underwhelmed.

We are Elite on Celebrity, sailing CC on the M class ships. We will sail the Solstice class this year. Based upon our personal experience, we do not intend to again sail HAL. We are departing tomorrow for a ten nighter on the Emerald Princess; and, it will be interesting to compare that sailing with a ten nighter, later in the year, on the Equinox.

I think even though service and food is very similar on both lines, HALs ships are the most tacky looking ships (outside of NCL).

The staterooms are nice on both lines.

There are NO self service laundry options on the larger HAL ships... so that is a tie.

The welcome champagne or mimosas or OJ is a very nice, elegant touch!

The alcohol policy is better on HAL. You can bring as much wine as you want on board. Still... WAY prefer Celebrity.

T-pool on HAL cost loads of money... NOT worth the extra money, and this is FREE on the Celebrity ships that have a T-Pool.

I have been extremely disappointed in HAL and won't be back until their clientele improves.

I like the more diverse staff on Celebrity. They are from all over the world, not just one area like HAL. No offense, just love getting to know so many different people from all over the world.

OOoooh, and the NUMBER ONE reason why Celebrity is better.... NO ONE over here keeps complaining about the missing TRAYS in the buffet. No one!

But... the fine points, like service and dining... you will not be unhappy with your change. They do a great job on Celebrity! And they look good while they are doing it.

I don't know if this helps, but I have sailed HAL 5 times since 2003 - the last time was in Feb of this year. I have sailed X once - many years ago and LOVED it! I have had enough of HAL form several reasons - not the least of which is the smoking policy and have my future cruise booked on X in Sept. Looking forward to a change! Good luck with your choice!

And the beds have not been very comfortable on our last 2 cruises on HAL, either!

We have only sailed HAL once, on the Z; and, we were underwhelmed.

We are Elite on Celebrity, sailing CC on the M class ships. We will sail the Solstice class this year. Based upon our personal experience, we do not intend to again sail HAL. We are departing tomorrow for a ten nighter on the Emerald Princess; and, it will be interesting to compare that sailing with a ten nighter, later in the year, on the Equinox.

OUCH...good luck with Princess. I think you'll have to find a stronger adjective than underwhelmed:cool:

T-pool on HAL cost loads of money... NOT worth the extra money, and this is FREE on the Celebrity ships that have a T-Pool.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought the T-pool on Mercury and Galaxy weren't free - only free on the M-class ships?

To the OP - we have sailed Noordam once, and came straight back to Celebrity - if you want brilliant service Celebrity are great.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought the T-pool on Mercury and Galaxy weren't free - only free on the M-class ships?

That is correct. The T-pool on Mercury is much smaller than on the M-class ships and there is a charge to use it.

To the OP--We have sailed on both X and HAL. Our last cruise was on X and our next on HAL. The lines are very similar although I would give X a slight edge. (My wife gives a=it a bigger edge than I do. :)) I prefer the beds on HAL , but the cabins on X. I really like the promenade deck on HAL for walking better than the walking deck on X. I think the food is better on X, but is also good on HAL. The service is great on both lines, but we have experienced better service in the MDR on X. HAL ships are more traditional and I appreciate their art collection. I think X needs to re-think some of the art on their ships (the artificial dandelions in glass cases on each landing of one of the stairwells on Constellation reminds me too much of, well, pulling weeds for me to consider it art.) Some of the art on X is also showing wear and tear and needs to be repaired or replaced IMO. The main theaters on X are much nicer than on HAL (I don't care for moveable seats on HAL nor the love seats with the high backs that can block your line of vision.) I think the production shows are better on X and the Celebrity Orchestra much better than the HALCATS.

We do like (and will continue sailing) on both lines based on itinerary offered. BTW, X pulled out of the Mexican Riviera the season after our first cruise there so our second cruise there was our first cruise on HAL. Had they continued their sailing there we probably would never have given HAL a chance.

I don't have a lot of cruises under my belt, but 1 each on Carnival, NCL, RCCL, Celebrity and Princess. I haven't been on the Mercury, but she was behind us in most of our ports on our Alaska cruise in '99 and she sure looked beautiful.

HAL is the only line I have returned to for a 2nd cruise. I like the mid-size ship. I like the ambiance of an ocean liner of old with lots of wood and brass around the ship. Fresh flowers all around the ship, not artificial. Teakwood promenade deck that encircles the whole ship, making navigation of the ship easy (no "you can't get there from here" as on Celebrity Constellation). We were always in the wrong place to get where we wanted to go, and had to go up a deck or down a deck to continue on our way.

And HAL crew is always so friendly with a smile and a greeting even if they aren't your cabin attendant or wait staff. The Yum Yum man standing outside the main dining room after dinner, the chimes that ring to announce dinner. A little larger cabins. And the best beds afloat.

Grand Princess at 110,000 gross tons, was just way too much ship for us. We made the trek from our cabin aft to the Princess theatre at the bow only once. We don't care for the surf rider, rock climbing wall, ice skating, etc that is now on most of the mega-ships that are being built.

I am in the planning stages of a Baltics cruise, yet again on HAL.

Everyone has a different perspective on what is important to them. I like the understated elegance of HAL, the size of the ships, and the crew itself. Others have different views. But you'll never know unless you bite the bullet and try other lines. Good luck and have a great cruise!

I feel that in lots of ways they are quite similiar with a few exceptions. Celebrity's food was much better. I say was, because it has been a few years since I sailed with X, but will be sailing with them in May of this year. We sailed with HAL in September of last year and I loved their beds. Soooo nice. Food was very good and service impeccable. Entertainment was quite poor and the big difference for us, which was the deal breaker, was the general atmosphere on HAL. It is so old and staid. It really needs to be livened up a GREAT DEAL. They could make a few simple changes in choice of music, etc. I don't mean heavy rock or anything like that, just mix it a bit more.

Archived