How bad is overnight jet lag - US east coast to Barcelona?

I usually skip the meal, take an ambien (better living through chemistry :D), and use noise cancelling headphones. And I take a 1-2 hour nap around 4:00 the afternoon I arrive. Then I'm good to go for dinner that night and on European time the next morning.

We don't sleep on airplanes either, probably part of our training as private pilots. For us what works best is staying out in the daylight and walking as much as possible the first day and drinking lots of water. If we really feel we need a nap, we limit it to an hour, two at the max, then get back outside again. Usually we have a light early-ish supper that first night and crash whenever we happen to crash and then the next morning we are ready to go on the new time zone. The second day we may need an extra espresso or two but we can keep going pretty well that day.

After dinner on the flight (we are fortunate enough to have lots of frequent flyer miles from DH's job so we used miles for business class tickets), I take an ambien which knocks me out for 4 or 5 hours. It helps tremendously. I do not wake up groggy with the ambien.

We arrived into Barcelona in the morning. After checking into our hotel (and not letting ourselves think of lying down, we went to Placa Catalunya and caught the HOHO bus. We sat up top and let the fresh air keep us awake. Then an early dinner and early evening to bed.

We fly through Amsterdam in a few weeks to get to Barcelona for our cruise. This time we arrive late afternoon so we will just drop our bags and catch an early dinner before turning in.

In the past few years I've started having a two-hour (maximum) nap as soon as I can get to a bed (or a suitable flat-ish surface!) after I arrive in the UK. This revives me enough to keep going until UK bedtime, and after that I'm fine.

This is what concerns me. We land bright and early at 9:30am Barcelona time. Our hotel check in time is 3pm. We're going to HAVE to keep going because we'll have no choice. Well, I guess there's always a park bench... (just kidding).

Like some of the other posters have said, I cannot sleep on airplanes either, not even a wink!

The last time I went to Europe I took a product called "No Jet-Lag" and it helped me quite a bit. It is homeopathic so it's safe to take with other meds. It must have some ingredient in it that keeps you awake but it is not caffeine and you do not get shakey.

Since I can't sleep the night before a trip either (too much excitement) usually by the time I get to Europe I haven't slept for over 48 hrs and I'm completely fried & almost delirious. This stuff really takes the edge off for me.

For people who can sleep on planes okay, I wouldn't recommend it because it keeps you awake, but for those who cannot, I think it could be helpful. And they are decent tasting chewable tablets that you take every 4-6 hrs or so. You can buy them at Whole Foods and maybe some other health food stores.

And FWIW, they also have a product called "Trip Ease" which helped my friend with her motion sickess.

(No, I do not work for the company:))

We are also cruising the med this summer, flying in from CA. Our cruise is leaving from Venice. My issue is that it's not just DH and I, but our 2DS (will be 11 and 10 at time of sailing) and I am not sure how they will handle the time difference. I know they are ok with a 3 hour--we do it annually, but 9, yikes! I am actually considering allowing them to stay up late the night before, and waking them early the day we leave (our flight isn't until 2 pm) so that they will sleep on the plane after 3-4 hours. Any thoughts?

For east coast and cannot sleep on planes look at the day flights.

eg: BA Boston to LHR 8:20 am land 19:40

with checkin an early start to get to the airport you have 3-4hours of the time differnce sorted that day and you do not lose sleep that you should be having like you do on the overnights.

Might try this next time we come back from Boston.

I have always had the most success by taking a 2-3 hour nap as soon as I get to my room (and always set an alarm clock). After that I seem to easily adjust to the new time zone. Everyone is different but this works for me.

Good luck and enjoy!

To be honest, I was very surprized at how well we both adjusted. My husband can sleep anywhere, anytime but not me. I dozed on the plane but didn't fall completely asleep. It must have been enough because after 16 hours of travelling we were both OK for a bit of touring. Granted I was a bit punchy afterward but not nearly as bad as I'd feared. By the second day we were both good to go.

2P.P1

Having traveled extensively with my work I find the best way to fight off jetlag (and working with an international aid organization we pretty much started running clinics the second the plane touches down !) is a few days before you leave start adjusting your schedual to be more in line with your new time zone. Go to bed a bit later, get up earlier... and if possible try having an afternoon nap. Start this 3 or so days before you travel. It was advice a seasoned traveler gave me, and it has worked great for me :)

We are also cruising the med this summer, flying in from CA. Our cruise is leaving from Venice. My issue is that it's not just DH and I, but our 2DS (will be 11 and 10 at time of sailing) and I am not sure how they will handle the time difference. I know they are ok with a 3 hour--we do it annually, but 9, yikes! I am actually considering allowing them to stay up late the night before, and waking them early the day we leave (our flight isn't until 2 pm) so that they will sleep on the plane after 3-4 hours. Any thoughts?

I think there is a lot of logic to your plan. I would add one ingredient. Do your kids get sleepy if they take Bendryl? I know lots of you may come down hard on me for suggesting it, but it is up to mjmalino to decide for herself. If your kids do get drowsy with Bendryl, give it to them just before boarding the flight so it has time to take effect once the plane is in the air.

This is what concerns me. We land bright and early at 9:30am Barcelona time. Our hotel check in time is 3pm. We're going to HAVE to keep going because we'll have no choice. Well, I guess there's always a park bench... (just kidding).

Don't necessarily believe the 3PM deal--go straight to the hotel from the airport and at the very least, if your room isn't available, you can check your luggage. We have been very lucky and have been able to check in by noon, latest.

Cathy

I think there is a lot of logic to your plan. I would add one ingredient. Do your kids get sleepy if they take Bendryl? I know lots of you may come down hard on me for suggesting it, but it is up to mjmalino to decide for herself. If your kids do get drowsy with Bendryl, give it to them just before boarding the flight so it has time to take effect once the plane is in the air.

I will not come down on you for that. Even though I don't like to medicate unless medically necessary, I have many friends who do, and I think that it is a personal decision based on the kids. I can't remember the last time I gave my kids benadryl, sick or other need (just not my first choice). Even when my kids were young, they have always flown well--coast to coast, so pretty long days.

I think the Benadryl is a great suggestion. I know it makes me sleep, and doesn't make me groggy the next day. Last year I tried the schedule adjustment beforehand, melatonin, earplugs, muscle relaxer for the bad back, earphones, etc. and still couldn't sleep a wink on the plane. I know the Benadryl will work.

Alcohol is not a good idea, IMHO... it may make you pass out, but you'll be groggy and dehydrated the next day.

CathyCruises is right-- go to your hotel to drop off your luggage, they may have a room and/or shower available no matter when you arrive. We lucked out last year and got into our room immediately upon arrival. The shower kept us going until a respectable hour. (OK, we passed out at 7 PM local time, but we got in some good sightseeing and dinner first!)

we also do the go to bed early, get up early before the flight thing (just the week before). my husband has no trouble sleeping on the flight, but i take a tylenol pm. we also have used no-jet-lag pills on our last several flights with great sucess (Las Vegas to Sydney for example). they are all natural - you can get them at REI or online.

Like some of the other posters have said, I cannot sleep on airplanes either, not even a wink!

The last time I went to Europe I took a product called "No Jet-Lag" and it helped me quite a bit. It is homeopathic so it's safe to take with other meds. It must have some ingredient in it that keeps you awake but it is not caffeine and you do not get shakey.

Since I can't sleep the night before a trip either (too much excitement) usually by the time I get to Europe I haven't slept for over 48 hrs and I'm completely fried & almost delirious. This stuff really takes the edge off for me.

For people who can sleep on planes okay, I wouldn't recommend it because it keeps you awake, but for those who cannot, I think it could be helpful. And they are decent tasting chewable tablets that you take every 4-6 hrs or so. You can buy them at Whole Foods and maybe some other health food stores.

And FWIW, they also have a product called "Trip Ease" which helped my friend with her motion sickess.

(No, I do not work for the company:))

I've got a question: If you would take "No-jet lag" and it would keep you awake, can you sleep easy the night after arrival???

I've got a question: If you would take "No-jet lag" and it would keep you awake, can you sleep easy the night after arrival???

That's a great question. I think it depends on the person...for me I've struggled with insomnia on & off most of my life and when I get overtired I can't sleep either. It's not uncommon for me to not be able to sleep the first night in Europe either so it's hard to say if it's a result of the No Jet-Leg product or just me (probably just me).

I'm thinking someone who sleeps well at home shouldn't have a problem falling asleep that first arrival night, especially if you stop taking the tablets a few hrs before bedtime or earlier that day.

You can find some reviews and see what others say about it. I read a bunch of positive reviews a few years back before I bought it and I don't recall anyone saying they couldn't sleep that first night or I probably wouldn't have taken it.

I still feel sick when I recall the last time we flew into Barcelona. With delays it took 34 hours from Melbourne. :eek: I would never go that route again even though it was business class with Emirates. It took me days to recover and I really cannot recall too much of the first couple of days on our cruise. It was like a blur.

I have got much better at planning since then!!

This time we are flying Melbourne to London direct (still 23 hours), flying first class and staying in London for three nights before flying to Barcelona and boarding our cruise. Much better planned this time.:)

I have used "no jet lag" pills several times, and have had good results Here's the website: http://www.nojetlag.com/index.html

I bought the pills at a luggage store.

I took the pills as directed, but was also able to catch a couple of hours of sleep. My DH took them as well, and thought they helped combat jet lag.

When we arrived in Barcelona we were able to spend the day sightseeing and then to bed at a reasonable hour.

Next day we were up bright and early to start our cruise.

Mari

Last year I flew to London. It took two days. I didn't get any sleep the first night. The second night I slept all the way there. I went to bed at 4pm London time (midnight my time) woke the next day and no problem after that. I tend to have bigger problems east to west. Some people can reset their internal clock. I don't know how that is done.

Da Bear

Last year I flew to London. It took two days. I didn't get any sleep the first night. The second night I slept all the way there. I went to bed at 4pm London time (midnight my time) woke the next day and no problem after that. I tend to have bigger problems east to west. Some people can reset their internal clock. I don't know how that is done.

Da Bear

I have no problem resetting the internal clock to the new time zone and sleeping at night (local time) even though it may only be 4 or 5pm USA time. I think this is a result from a previous job where I had switch shifts - two day shifts followed by two night shifts...so I got used to switching my bedtime! Instead, my problem stems from not getting any sleep on the flight over (I absolutely cannot sleep while sitting upright and coach seats simply don't recline enough for me to sleep) and therefore being awake for 30-40 hours straight. On my last trip I was "lucky" enough to fly to Heathrow and then take a 3 hour train ride - a perfect nap opportunity since I was able to get two seats for myself and lie down the best I could. I was awake and ready to go when I arrived at my destination and stayed up until about 10pm that first night and hit the ground running on the morning of day 2 :) This time I am landing in Barcelona and I am hoping to hit the ground running without a nap beforehand. My mom, who will be traveling with me, and I are taking bets as to who crashes first. I'm guessing I will be the one ready to call it an early night! We're hoping to make it til at least 8pm - long enough to see the fountain show at Montjuic and get back to our hotel.

If you can't sleep sitting up, you might be interested in this. Here's a link to the inflatible pillow I referred to earlier. They worked for us and our seats were coach. http://www.thetravelinsider.com/roadwarriorcontent/firstclasssleeper.htm

2P.P1

Thanks, I actually have one and it didn't seem to help me. My mom is planning on using it for our flight, though...hopefully it will do wonders for her!

My BIL has been traveling back and forth from Houston to London, Norway etc. for years. His advice if traveling EAST. The plane leaves Houston at 4 pm and arrives in London about 8 AM the next morning. He usually goes to sleep right when he gets on the plane. Upon arriving in London he grabs breakfast at the Mickey D's in the terminal. He said his clock is already reset, no jet lag. :p

He has not however figured out a way around jet lag when flying WEST...:(

Grow up!!! We have done this many times over the years, the excitement overcomes everything ---- including being tired. And we are in our 60's and just came back from a great European vacation. Good Luck,and relax.

Archived