wildlife in icy strait point

my72

I am planning a cruise to Alaska the beginning of August this year. I would enjoy seeing wildlife and am wondering if many people who take the bear expedition in Icy Strait actually see bears. Also do many people see wildlife in Glacier Bay. Any help would be greatly apprectiated. Thank You.

If bears are your priority, then I suggest you book an independent vendor out of Hoonah rather than the ship tour, which goes to a fixed location.

This is a big humpback area, spend your sailing time out on deck with a good pair of binoculars in Icy Strait (not the cruise port, the waterway). As for wildlife in Glacier bay, humpbacks are sometimes seen at the Icy Striat end, they won't be up past half way, usually, glacier silt - no food. Puffins possible, but do require you be right on them, with a good pair of binoculars at least 10 power. There is a rookery to the left of the Margerie Glacier, again good binoculars are a must. I have seen very little land wildlife in Glacier Bay, one time a moose next to the Grand Pacific glacier, and a few bears along the shoreline. That's it, over many trips in there.

Thank You for the help. Budget Queen do you or anyone else have any suggestions for outside vendors at Icy Strait that have excusions to see bears and whales as a combo tour. My main priority would be bears. Thanks again.

Thank You for the help. Budget Queen do you or anyone else have any suggestions for outside vendors at Icy Strait that have excusions to see bears and whales as a combo tour. My main priority would be bears. Thanks again.

I recommend Teckk Outfitters. I went with him his first season (recommended by my ship naturalist friend) came back, reported on my trip, and there have been many satisified customers since. You would need two tours purchased, for each humpbacks and bears. May be able to arrange it with one vendor however?? Inquire directly.

We loved our tour with Keith of Teckk Tours. He is a delightful guy,and if anybody can find bears he is the one!!

He can also do the whale watching. Perhaps if you get in touch with him he can arrange a package combination.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/volendam.html

for a link to Teckk.

Whale watching in Glacier Bay is spotty. We have seen orcas in the bay itself, and the area near the entrance is good for humpbacks. Hopefully your ship will have a naturalist aboard. If you are really looking for whales, he will often station himself up at the bow of the ship with a group to watch for humpbacks as you enter the Bay (usually verrrry early in the morning ...)

Have a GREAT cruise!

I am planning a cruise to Alaska the beginning of August this year. I would enjoy seeing wildlife and am wondering if many people who take the bear expedition in Icy Strait actually see bears. Also do many people see wildlife in Glacier Bay. Any help would be greatly apprectiated. Thank You.

What ship are you on that stops in Hoonah and Glacier Bay??? And what is the routing? I can then tell you when your best humpback viewing will be from your cruise ship.

I don't know of a cruise that goes both to Glacier Bay and Icy Strait. Why I am asking is that I am trying to choose between a cruise on the Holland American Zuiderdam and Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas. The Royal Caribbean cruise will cost me $500 less. I am on a budget and trying to decide which cruise would be better for me. I would love to see Glacier Bay but my thoughts are I could use the $500 for shore excursions. Any help on making the decision is appreciated. Thank You.

We took the RCI cruise and loved it, especially with the savings! Hubbard Glacier was magnificient. ISP was our favorite port. We went on a bear watch with TECKK www.teckkoutfittersicystrait.com and saw 3 bear in the 3 hours that we rode around the beautiful countryside with Keith. August is a great month for viewing wildlife. Enjoy your cruise!

Mike

That's an excellent trip review! You might want to update your link to Teckk Outfitters, it's now www.teckoutfittersicystrait.com

We loved our tour with Keith of Teckk Tours. He is a delightful guy,and if anybody can find bears he is the one!!

He can also do the whale watching. Perhaps if you get in touch with him he can arrange a package combination.

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/volendam.html

for a link to Teckk.

Whale watching in Glacier Bay is spotty. We have seen orcas in the bay itself, and the area near the entrance is good for humpbacks. Hopefully your ship will have a naturalist aboard. If you are really looking for whales, he will often station himself up at the bow of the ship with a group to watch for humpbacks as you enter the Bay (usually verrrry early in the morning ...)

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived