Need Suggestions in Decorating Cabin for Grad

RCI does not offer a package for college graduates for decorations so I am in the process of buying things to decorate the room for our daughter.

I could use some suggestions as to is their a wall big enough for a small banner such as 18 x 54? What would you suggest to use to hang things with? Tape, sticky stuff? Is the door magnetic and is their room to hang something outside of the door or is there a great chance someone would take it?

Need ideas since I have never been in a Royal room. Ours is a Royal Promenade and hard to vision something when I don't know if there is an empty wall or counter top or places to hang. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.:)

Not sure at all of the wall size, but yes the doors are magnetic. Making and printing out a sign on magnetic paper would be a great idea...my family and I have done it before. You could also make a small banner to hang across the Promenade window.

Tape is fine to you. You can even bring streamers or hang other graduation decorations from the ceiling by taping as well. Are you going to have access to the room before the person gets there?

And there's also a desktop area where you could put other things.

After trying various things, I have ended up using small pieces of duck tape on the door. I try to find a color of tape to match the banner or decoration. The magnetic paper works well, too. I have never put a banner on a stateroom wall but I have hung things from the ceiling with clear tape.

you can get the magnetic paper at office depot. it is a little pricey at $16 / five sheets. but they look great. not only is the outer door metal but the bathroom door is, too. yes, someone might walk away with your door sign but you could take it off the door each night to reduce the likelihood of that happening.

there are a lot of mirrors in the cabin and, if you have a balcony, a lot of glass. go to the party store or on ebay and buy window clings. we often decorate our cabin with these and they look GREAT!!

the party store will also have lots of other stuff you can use to decorate for your grad. plenty of surfaces and wall space, but you will have to be creative/careful on attaching banners (tape can damage wall surface).

have fun!

Make sure you bring something for the promenade window! On my cruise we had fun going down the promenade, looking up and seeing all the decorations from people who were staying in those rooms. Some had favorite sports team flags, some had birthday signs, one had "come say hi to mary and bob!", etc

RCI does not offer a package for college graduates for decorations so I am in the process of buying things to decorate the room for our daughter.

I could use some suggestions as to is their a wall big enough for a small banner such as 18 x 54? What would you suggest to use to hang things with? Tape, sticky stuff? Is the door magnetic and is their room to hang something outside of the door or is there a great chance someone would take it?

Need ideas since I have never been in a Royal room. Ours is a Royal Promenade and hard to vision something when I don't know if there is an empty wall or counter top or places to hang. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.:)

You could attempt to tie balloons to the balcony, also confetti in her bags, (Slipped in before she leaves home so she is unaware - Result is that its all over her luggage by the time she gets to the cabin)

Party poppers - celotape it to the door, tie string to handle so that when the door is opened it goes bang and sends streamers over them

Streamers that they used to use on liners years ago would be ideal to decorate the room and they are cheap too and easy to dispose off.

Just a couple of suggestions lol....

I have enjoyed this POSITIVE thread so much after all the whining going on on the boards.

Also, thanks to all of you who made suggestions. We will be celebrating our DD & SIL's 5th anniversary in May, and I am trying to get things together to decorate their room and door. I bought window clings, but thought I might have to tape them, but the mirror suggestion is a great one. Also, I didn't know magnetic paper existed! So, thanks again for a great thread. :)

Cruzin Lady

Word of warning about the duct tape......

It may pull the paint right off the door or any other place you stick it. I would avoid the duct tape. The crew will get upset if you ruin the look of the door w/ tape residue and missing paint chips.

I have never had a problem with it on the metal doors. I do not use it on walls.

Orientaltradingco is also a good source for inexpesive decorations online.

I never had any luck with the putties for some reason. Especially on the door. They might stay up for a short time but started coming off within hours.

An idea- make a copy of the college banner- those triangular ones that they can wave on a stick or put on the wall- and copy that onto the magnetic paper. You could also do that with copies of the school mascot.

I copied a verse or 2 from the school song. DS and a friend who attended an different college were sharing a cabin while both our families were cruising and I did thier door in both of thier colleges' stuff. Being young men, I am not sure how much they appreciated it...:rolleyes: But they were good sports and kept it on the door.

Let us know your ideas. We are doing a graduate school graduation cruise and I had not considered doing that this time. I wonder if Azamara would let us decorate... Is 26 too old to do that for a young man? Perhaps I better stick to the clingy things on the balcony door this time...

We are sailing for our DD's graduation as well.

I went online and googled and found a site that sells partyware with college logos.

Not sure of the site but I think I originally googled "name of college"balloons.

So now I have cups, plastic forks, paper plates, with the logo.

That might be fun!

Congratulations and Best Wishes !

I am still looking at all the sites getting ideas how I want to do this - sounds like putting a frame of a decoration around the Royal Promenade window and then some window clings might be neat, a table top decoration, a personalized banner for above the sofa, a door banner for the door and then some type of long decoration that crisscrosses for the cabin with a hanging decoration in the middle. Some of the places online sell the banners with metal grommets. Will this work to keep attached to the door? Balloons would be nice but don't like the thought of blowing them all up.

Archived