Bruges, Belgium. A walking tour in pdf format

if you have the time! Whew! What a lot of work this is for you.

I have printed out the Bruges Walking Tour. Absolutely wonderful! We will be cruising April 24-May22 2010...16 ports!! What would you say the distance is for the Bruges walk in miles:confused:. Also, we probably will have to shuttle to the train station...is this a final stop for the walk or is there a number or name we need to be aware of (so we do not trek all over Belgium) to exit to go on this walk? The train we take marked for the town?:confused:

If you have the time ... this would be appreciated:D

happynewbie (Maxine) DH and I going on this cruise, our very first TA and second only cruise!!

if you have the time! Whew! What a lot of work this is for you.

I have printed out the Bruges Walking Tour. Absolutely wonderful! We will be cruising April 24-May22 2010...16 ports!! What would you say the distance is for the Bruges walk in miles:confused:. Also, we probably will have to shuttle to the train station...is this a final stop for the walk or is there a number or name we need to be aware of (so we do not trek all over Belgium) to exit to go on this walk? The train we take marked for the town?:confused:

If you have the time ... this would be appreciated:D

happynewbie (Maxine) DH and I going on this cruise, our very first TA and second only cruise!!

Let me try to anwer.

The total distance of the walk all the way from the train station in Bruges to the Markt and back to the train station as a loop is less than three miles. But if you do the first part to the Markt only you will have seen the highlights of Bruges as far as I am concerned. Keep in mind I am talking the train station in Bruges, not the one in Zeebrugge or Blankenberge.

If I understand the second part of your question correctly, you are taking a shuttle from the ship to the train station which is probably the one at Blankenberge. If so, you take the train (about 10 minute ride) to the main station in Bruges. Be sure to buy your ticket before boarding the train in Blankenberge. Then I am sure you will see the first large train station from the train and cannot miss it. From the station in Bruges you can start the walk I described.

I have not been on that particular train (from Blankenberge) and don't know how many (if any) additional stops it makes before Bruges. If nothing else, aske anyone on the train. I bet you they will speak English and be glad to help.

Have a great trip.

Let me try to anwer.

The total distance of the walk all the way from the train station in Bruges to the Markt and back to the train station as a loop is less than three miles. But if you do the first part to the Markt only you will have seen the highlights of Bruges as far as I am concerned. Keep in mind I am talking the train station in Bruges, not the one in Zeebrugge or Blankenberge.

If I understand the second part of your question correctly, you are taking a shuttle from the ship to the train station which is probably the one at Blankenberge. If so, you take the train (about 10 minute ride) to the main station in Bruges. Be sure to buy your ticket before boarding the train in Blankenberge. Then I am sure you will see the first large train station from the train and cannot miss it. From the station in Bruges you can start the walk I described.

I have not been on that particular train (from Blankenberge) and don't know how many (if any) additional stops it makes before Bruges. If nothing else, aske anyone on the train. I bet you they will speak English and be glad to help.

Have a great trip.

The way the itinerary reads is: "Brussels/Bruges (Zeebrugge)Belgium. So I guess Blankenberge would be the station, yes, we would purchase the tickets before boarding the train, yes, with so many people exiting the cruise ship...someone on the train probably will speak English (maybe they do not know where to go LOL). I guess we should be prepared with Euros! My German Dad, deceased now, spoke both English and German at home when I was little, apparently nothing sunk in:(..I cannot (nor can my DH, also of the same heritage) speak a word!:o

Anyway, thank you so much for all your work and answering our questions. I also downloaded the Amsterdam walk as well. We appreciate your kind efforts so much. happynewbie

My German Dad, deceased now, spoke both English and German at home when I was little, apparently nothing sunk in:(..I cannot (nor can my DH, also of the same heritage) speak a word!:o

My suggestion is to stick to English and forget any German in the Netherlands and Belgium.

Shortly after WWII there were a lot of bad feelings and the German language was sneered upon by many. You might run into some old timers who still feel that way.

When we bought tickets for the boat cruise in Bruges, one person in our little group (whose father also was born in Germany) replied something in German to the elderly man in charge of tickets. The man was obviously not happy and replied in English not to try to talk German to him. He became very rude to our group.

Things have changed with the younger generations.

My suggestion is to stick to English and forget any German in the Netherlands and Belgium.

Shortly after WWII there were a lot of bad feelings and the German language was sneered upon by many. You might run into some old timers who still feel that way.

When we bought tickets for the boat cruise in Bruges, one person in our little group (whose father also was born in Germany) replied something in German to the elderly man in charge of tickets. The man was obviously not happy and replied in English not to try to talk German to him. He became very rude to our group.

Things have changed with the younger generations.

Okay! Since we cannot speak it...we will NOT even try with the little bit we do know (I said not a word, not entirely true) Glad you mentioned this!! We do not wish to cause aggravation for anyone:).

Again, thank you so much! happynewbie

• 2 weeks later...

Lair Bear's walk tour for Gdansk...I have his Bruges and Amsterdam walks which he kindly provided for many of us.

I thought this was a separate thread...just cannot find it anywhere.

If anyone has this link would you please post it when you have the opportunity? Thank you so much!

Happy Cruising to All! happynewbie

Lair Bear's walk tour for Gdansk...I have his Bruges and Amsterdam walks which he kindly provided for many of us.

I thought this was a separate thread...just cannot find it anywhere.

If anyone has this link would you please post it when you have the opportunity? Thank you so much!

Happy Cruising to All! happynewbie

Sorry Happynewbie, but I don't have a walking tour for Gdansk. The interesting parts of that city are generally located within a very small area and can be done within an hour or two.

Perhaps you were thinking of the walking tour for Tallinn. Here is the link to that

http://www.*****.com/tallinnwalk.html

I might add that if you do visit Gdansk, you should go to see St. Mary's Cathedral. Here is what I said in my description from our visit last year. The reason I bring this up is that history has an interesting way of interweaving itself between Bruges, Amsterdam and the Baltic ports.

The tour guide took us to the St. Mary's Cathedral, the largest church in Poland. This is also the church where The Last Judgment, painted by Hans Memling is displayed. The three part wooden painting was created around 1485 and shows human figures as they ascended to heaven or went in despair to hell. The painting also has a unique history that started in Bruges. I covered its intended journey to Italy and how it came to Gdansk earlier when we visited Bruges.

b538.jpg

I might add that if you do visit Gdansk, you should go to see St. Mary's Cathedral. Here is what I said in my description from our visit last year. The reason I bring this up is that history has an interesting way of interweaving itself between Bruges, Amsterdam and the Baltic ports.

The tour guide took us to the St. Mary's Cathedral, the largest church in Poland. This is also the church where The Last Judgment, painted by Hans Memling is displayed. The three part wooden painting was created around 1485 and shows human figures as they ascended to heaven or went in despair to hell. The painting also has a unique history that started in Bruges. I covered its intended journey to Italy and how it came to Gdansk earlier when we visited Bruges.

b538.jpg

Thank you again! You are so kind. Yes, we definitely desire to see St. Mary's Cathedral and the painting " The Last Judgement". We will just walk around in Gdansk and enjoy the surroundings.:)

happynewbie

Sorry Happynewbie, but I don't have a walking tour for Gdansk. The interesting parts of that city are generally located within a very small area and can be done within an hour or two.

Perhaps you were thinking of the walking tour for Tallinn. Here is the link to that

http://www.*****.com/tallinnwalk.html

Yes, we copied this! You have been so many places...I was in error then for Gdansk! We cannot thank you enough Lair Bear for the information you have generously provided for all of us. happynewbie

Hi

We are going to Brugge on the OM2 in July ( well Zeebrugge ) and just disovered your map and walking tour - it is FANTASTIC and as others have said you should sell it!!! . We will certainly use it as we are meeting my sister sister in law who lives in Belgium for the day at the station and will walk from there.

Would you know where the cruise ships drop the people for independent walks round Brugges ??, Somebody said it was around Bargeplein?? We might do that or get the train.

many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks you for this great walking tour. We will be excited to use it in August.

NOW...If you had one for Copenhagen and London I would love you forever...

Hi

i forgot to ask - how long would this walking tour take???

thanks

Sorry for the delay. Just got back from a week in the mountains.

The Bruges walking tour is relatively short. You could do this in a couple hours if you hurried, but with stops to shop and really enjoy the sites, you should count on three to four hours minumum. If you add a boat trip, lunch and some stops at the churches and bellfrey it becomes a nice full day.

You can cut it shorter by taking a taxi back to the ship from the main market place if you are too tired to do the whole thing.

To do a walking tour of Copenhagen and London is not in my 'things to do' list. However, I am toying with a walking tour of Haarlem, the city near Amsterdam that has lots of interesting places and the Frans Hals museum. In other words, I like to check places that are 'easy' to walk to. In London you should check 'London Walks' and in Copenhagen check 'Hans Christian Anderson Walks'. They are guided walks that are extremely interesting.

I have put the three walks together for Bruges, Amsterdam and Tallinn just because of the research I did before going there. I am not interested in publishing them for money. It was fun to do and that is good enough for me.

Sorry for the delay. Just got back from a week in the mountains.

The Bruges walking tour is relatively short. You could do this in a couple hours if you hurried, but with stops to shop and really enjoy the sites, you should count on three to four hours minumum. If you add a boat trip, lunch and some stops at the churches and bellfrey it becomes a nice full day.

You can cut it shorter by taking a taxi back to the ship from the main market place if you are too tired to do the whole thing.

To do a walking tour of Copenhagen and London is not in my 'things to do' list. However, I am toying with a walking tour of Haarlem, the city near Amsterdam that has lots of interesting places and the Frans Hals museum. In other words, I like to check places that are 'easy' to walk to. In London you should check 'London Walks' and in Copenhagen check 'Hans Christian Anderson Walks'. They are guided walks that are extremely interesting.

I have put the three walks together for Bruges, Amsterdam and Tallinn just because of the research I did before going there. I am not interested in publishing them for money. It was fun to do and that is good enough for me.

Hi LairBear,from the North East?

what about a tour of stain glass windows found in Churches thro out Europe?

Have you got a replacement camera for the 1 those thieves took in Barcelona?

Hi Lair Bear,

We dock in Zeebrugge at 7 am and I was wondering what time everything opens up in Brugge. If we get there at 7:30 will anything be open?

Thank you for your help,

Susan

Hi Susan,

You must be an early riser!

I don't think the shops other than some coffee shops will be open at 7:30 am in Bruges. But then again I have never been there that early.

If your ship docks in Zeebrugge at 7:00am and it takes a while to disembark plus get a ride into the city of Bruges, I don't think you could be there at 7:30. Of course, if you can do that, maybe you can be the first to ring the bellfrey tower bells at 8:00. Just ask the man at the door. He would be surprised to see you there also.

Things don't happen too fast in Europe, so I would expect the typical souvenir shop to open at nine or so. Meanwhile try a Belgium waffle for breakfast with whipped cream at one of the cafes?!?

Hi LairBear,from the North East?

what about a tour of stain glass windows found in Churches thro out Europe?

Have you got a replacement camera for the 1 those thieves took in Barcelona?

That was a bad reminder MAKEM.

You know, stain glass windows in European churches would be a good project. I have not thought of that, but it would be not only interesting with lots of history, but it would be something more beautiful than the streets of Barcelona.

Actually, we are planning a trip to Holland and Haarlem is one city that I want to visit next year. There is a 'Grote Kerk' and lots of history there; including the story of Corrie ten Boom and how she rescued so many Jewish people from the German regime during WWII, It is truly worth reading (The Hiding Place). In a way it inspired me more than the Ann Frank history (as sad and fascinating that one is also).

Here are some old windows in Gouda, Holland.

frontpage-2.jpg

stappen.jpg

That was a bad reminder MAKEM.

You know, stain glass windows in European churches would be a good project. I have not thought of that, but it would be not only interesting with lots of history, but it would be something more beautiful than the streets of Barcelona.

Actually, we are planning a trip to Holland and Haarlem is one city that I want to visit next year. There is a 'Grote Kerk' and lots of history there; including the story of Corrie ten Boom and how she rescued so many Jewish people from the German regime during WWII, It is truly worth reading (The Hiding Place). In a way it inspired me more than the Ann Frank history (as sad and fascinating that one is also).

Here are some old windows in Gouda, Holland.

frontpage-2.jpg

stappen.jpg

Sorry if I openned old wounds,

But we both know there is more safer & interesting places than that city

enjoy the summer

• 7 months later...
The walking tour looks fantastic! Thank you for posting it. Do you know how long the walking tour should last? How long should we allow? Thanks again.:)

The walking tour is not very long (a couple miles at the most). But you can spend as much time as you want to see and experience this great, old city. Be sure to include a boat ride. If you are tired when you reach the big market place (de Mart) you could cut the whole loop short by taking a taxi back to the ship.

When we did this we left Zeebrugge around nine am and left Brugge in the afternoon around three thirty. But you could easily do the whole thing in a couple hours if you have to.

This walking tour is one of four that I put together. The other three are for Amsterdam, Tallinn (Estonia) and Haarlem in Holland.

Enjoy your trip.

Edited by Lair Bear

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...