Puffins on Prince William Sound tours?

kermode

I'd really like to see puffins :). Would we be likely to see them on any boat tours of Prince William Sound at the end of June? More likely on any particular routes or tours?

Thanks!

Not sure what options you are considering, but we saw many puffins of both species (horned and tufted) on our Stan Stephens Columbia Glacier cruise out of Valdez last July. Also excellent photo ops.

Puffins are in their breeding grounds in late May, and they nest underground with 3' deep nests in the hillsides. They lay one egg and its incubated for 42 or so days, so in June-July they would still be 'on the nest', but the off-duty bird goes to sea for food, so there still is a chance. Also puffins are built for swimming (webbed feet), so they are feeding underwater. August is a better chance as the chicks are floating in the water. But I can certainly say when you are in the gift shops, Puffin mugs, toys, t-shirts, etc. are abundant.

Sorry but puffins are rarely seen on boat trips into western Prince William Sound from Whittier. You need to go to Seward to see them either on a Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise or at the Sealife Center in Seward where there is an excellent exhibit on birds.

I have never seen puffins out of Whittier either, but Chenega certainly is the expert here.

I've seen them out of Valdez, Seward and Homer. IF a priority then get to those locations, or Sitka on your cruise. IF going to Glacier Bay, have at least 10 power binoculars and park yourself out on deck the entire day. They can be very difficult to spot and see, but there are puffin rookeries there. One to the left of Margerie Glaicer. But to really see them, get on a tour at one of the above locations.

As an alternative, if in Maine, there is actually a superior puffin tour, since you get on an island-need permits, and into bird blinds for close up looks at puffins right outside. :) The particular boat tour I go with is out of Jonesport Me.

• 10 years later...
On 4/5/2009 at 10:54 PM, Chenega said:

Sorry but puffins are rarely seen on boat trips into western Prince William Sound from Whittier. You need to go to Seward to see them either on a Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise or at the Sealife Center in Seward where there is an excellent exhibit on birds.

Thank you, this post helped me make a decision.   

I got this note from Lazy Otter Tours when I asked about seeing Columbia Glacier on their 8-9 hour glacier cruise.

Hi Kenneth, We will not make it to Columbia Glacier. That glaciers is nearly 70 miles from Whittier. It is spectacular and has been going through catastrophic changes in the last couple decades. That also means you are often not able to get very close to the glacier due to heavy ice and huge icebergs. We will go into Harriman Fjord. Surprise Glacier is the our destination there. Very dynamic and active glacier. There are dozens of glaciers in that fjord. We will also head out into the heart of the sound to see the puffins and to look for whales. You can also check out the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PugRuioCeg We filmed this video last year and in one day so it gives you a very good idea of what to expect. Hope this helps. See you soon Kelly Bender Lazy Otter Charters info@lazyottercharters.com 907-694-6887ph – 907-529-0235cell Recipient of the Alyeska Award from Alaska Travel Industry Association, 2018

Edited by masterdrago

We went on the all day cruise with Lazy Otter in 2016 (end of May) out of Whittier- it was a wonderful day.  We did see puffins- there was a spot they seemed to "know' they would be there, and took us.  We also saw sea lions, otters, seals, and humpbacks- though only a couple of those.  It was a fantastic day and Lazy Otter was wonderful.