love rci and x -- how will we enjoy carnival?

To be honest i've never sailed Carnival and won't ever be caught dead sailing them but i know a few people who have done RCI and Carnival. A similar opinion was that the ship itself on RCI was better and the food on Carnival was mediocre as was the service. If you love RCI you wont like carnival

Typical ignorant RCL snob opinion! A lot of RCL cruisers are trying CCL and are discovering that they still deliver things that RCL has cut. Rather than support a propaganda ministry to make people think that are quality (like RCL) CCL is actually delivering better quality. Food, service and entertainment- there you have it. Of course, you wouldn't know 'cause you don't get out much. When RCL starts serving up spam and calling it 'porc pate', I am sure you'll be slopping it up, raving about how wonderful it is. Me, I'll be content on CCL with lobster, shrimp and a couple of good laughs at the midnight comedy club before going to bed, that wondefully comfortable bed. It doesn't bother me that I am getting more for less.

I have been on Carnival once and that is the last time for us for awhile anyway. LOUD, OBNOXIOUS, RUDE, DRUNKEN free-for-all. It definitly lives up to the "party" spirit but if you are looking for a more relaxing time - I wouldnt go with Carnival. There is definitly a market for the Carnival types but to go on a cruise being as loud as you can be, drunk people at all times of the day and nite, Like the hillbillies rent out a cruise ship - Ive never been anywhere where screaming at the top of your lungs at all times of the day was an acceptable behavior. Belly flops in the pool, soaking people lounging nearby, no regard to any signage indicating approprate behavior. As they say you get what you pay for - i think Carnival is cheaper but there is definitly a reason for that. Ugh.

We have sailed both and love them both. Just pick your favorite itinerary and compare prices. Newer ships on any line are usually best, but there are exceptions. As long as you plan on having fun, you can't go wrong!:) Our next cruise is Norwegian due to being closer to home and not having to pay for airfare. Since we've only done the Pride of America, I can't say how we like Norwegian in general. However, Royal Caribbean and Carnival are both great cruiselines!!! I haven't found Carnival to be too much of a party line.

I have been on Carnival once and that is the last time for us for awhile anyway. LOUD, OBNOXIOUS, RUDE, DRUNKEN free-for-all. It definitly lives up to the "party" spirit but if you are looking for a more relaxing time - I wouldnt go with Carnival. There is definitly a market for the Carnival types but to go on a cruise being as loud as you can be, drunk people at all times of the day and nite, Like the hillbillies rent out a cruise ship - Ive never been anywhere where screaming at the top of your lungs at all times of the day was an acceptable behavior. Belly flops in the pool, soaking people lounging nearby, no regard to any signage indicating approprate behavior. As they say you get what you pay for - i think Carnival is cheaper but there is definitly a reason for that. Ugh.

What ship were you on??? I have been on 5 carnival cruises and have never witnessed this type of behavior. I honestly believe people go into Carnival cruises with the idea that is planted by comments like this.

To be honest, I saw more rowdiness on my one RCL cruise than I have ever seen on Carnival. Carnival is cheaper because the line knows how to attract their customers, unlike RCL who is currently turning away some of their most loyal.

Something to think about. :rolleyes:

We had our first Carnival cruise this past September on the Paradise, but my DH and I much prefer RCI. We found the Paradise gaudy, our stateroom was unappealing and the bathroom grout kept coming off on my feet. I disliked the layout of the ship. The food was okay, not great--but there pizza station in the buffet served a very nice white sauce pizza that was very good. The staff was very friendly but seemed less knowledgable than RCI staff about serving, what's available etc. The chocolate melting cake dessert at dinner was wonderful! I thought the muster was downright scary, the sushi was limited but not bad. I didn't find it rowdy at all which was a pleasant surprise. All in all, we didn't like Carnival for cruising compared to RCI but we had a good time (it was for a convention). Any cruise is better than no cruise!

Kerrie:)

Glad you took it in stride! The paradise is an older ship in the fleet. If you decide to try Carnival again, please check out the Spirit/Conquest or up classes.

I think you will have a much better experience!

Carnival SPIRIT out of San Diego - and youre right every cruise is different. One thing that stands out in my mind on this cruise was that there were 3 ships docked leaving all at once and the only ship you could hear loud speaker announcements from and the HUGE uproar of loud screams was from Carnival. The coast guard had to suspend our "muster drill" because people werent following instructions and it had to be started over - which has never happened to me before.

Anyway, youre right every cruise is different im sure there are some nice Carnivals ones out there just like some stinky ones on other lines! I did have a bad experience which makes me not want to do Carnival ever again, others have had a great time! Its a gamble!

Im just hoping the types of people we ran across on Carnival stick with Carnival!

Carnival SPIRIT out of San Diego - and youre right every cruise is different. One thing that stands out in my mind on this cruise was that there were 3 ships docked leaving all at once and the only ship you could hear loud speaker announcements from and the HUGE uproar of loud screams was from Carnival. The coast guard had to suspend our "muster drill" because people werent following instructions and it had to be started over - which has never happened to me before.

Anyway, youre right every cruise is different im sure there are some nice Carnivals ones out there just like some stinky ones on other lines! I did have a bad experience which makes me not want to do Carnival ever again, others have had a great time! Its a gamble!

Im just hoping the types of people we ran across on Carnival stick with Carnival!

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I am not trying to discredit your comments whatsoever. I just get frustrated because I personally have never experienced unruly behavior(and hope never to!) on a Carnival ship.

Like you said, every cruise is different. Happy sailing.

no worries! It was kind of interesting having a muster drill actually stopped mid-stream and the coast guard came on the loud speaker and told people to act like adults! I thought i was back in grade school he-he.

To be honest i've never sailed Carnival and won't ever be caught dead sailing them but i know a few people who have done RCI and Carnival. A similar opinion was that the ship itself on RCI was better and the food on Carnival was mediocre as was the service. If you love RCI you wont like carnival

How can you say that when you haven't sailed on them?? I have done RC and Carnival so I can give my opinion. I have sailed 3 Carnival ships and two RC and am about to sail my third RC and book my fourth Carnival. Saying a ship is better than another totally depends on which ships you are considering, the staff, so many things!! If you compare the Freedom of the Seas with Carnival's Fascination, well yes, then you would say that RC's is better, that is common sense. However, there are some great Carnival ships too that can compare to RC's. I would say overall I prefer the service on RC but would/will continue to sail on both lines. I just sailed Carnival's Ecstasy and although it is an older ship with much neon, I had the best time ever on any cruise!!!! The staff was not very accomodating either, heard a lot of no's but still the cruise was the best ever. A lot of times it is what you make of the cruise. My last RC cruise was on the Enchantment and the staff was all about making us happy and all we heard was yes!! All I can say is that I am happy when I cruise and I have had good times on BOTH cruise lines and will sail both of them...Carnival has bigger cabins btw...for you to say what you did w/o sailing Carnival, please...do you research. If neon lights ruin your cruise, well that is just plain sad because I do not spend an entire cruise looking at the lights! :rolleyes:

Things have changed drastically since I first sailed RCCL while improved with Carnival and the newer ships. I recently sailed on Princess which reminded me of the RCCL of many years ago. I am a mass market type because I have sailed all three lines with great success. I am hesitant to sail RCCL during Spring break because of the lower age limit to book a cabin verses Carnival. Carnival is cheaper but dollar of dollar more successful than RCCl, meaning they are doing something right. I have seen the behavior you describe on RCCL, which led me to take a break from cruising. I am definitely a Carnival type but still not the type to label a group of people base on one experience, clearly others do. I figure each ship and sailing also present the chance to experience something different. My first experince on RCCL was absolutley wonderful, my last was horrific. If I get something inbetween on my next sailing, I will be happy:D B postive realtes to more than blood type but ATTITUDE.

BTW, knowing types as well as you do, what type does all three mass market lines :-)

We have sailed many times on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. We sailed a few times on Carnival. We try to sail from Pt Canaveral as that port is only about an hour from home. My husband and I wanted to go on a 7 day cruise the end of February, and there was no 7 day from Pt Canaveral on Royal Caribbean.

We decided to try Carnival Glory even though our previous cruise on Carnival Triumph was terrible. We had the best time on Glory. The food was, to me, far better than that on RCI. My prime rib the last night was so tender that I could have cut it with a fork.

I didn't like the buffet area as well as the Voyager class ships. It seemed to me that there were long lines almost all the time. One night we decided to have dinner at the buffet instead of the restaurant and it was ok. I understand, but can't be sure as we haven't ever done the buffet at night on RCI, that there are table cloths on the tables and the atmosphere is quite nice. On Glory, it was the same at dinner as it was at lunch.

Our cabin steward did a great job on Glory, just as the ones on RCI do. I do agree that the decor leaves a lot to be desired compared to RCI.

We are Diamond Plus on RCI, but have chosen to sail on Glory again in October and the new Dream in January. The price difference is substantial and to us the value is in sailing on Carnival. I am sure we will sail RCI again, but for the difference of $600 per cruise, ($400 after the balcony discount) we choose to sail Carnival.

Also, I like to drink wine and Carnival allows me to bring wine onboard. If I chose to drink liquor, I could buy it in advance from Carnival and it would be waiting in my cabin. It makes me feel as though Carnival realizes I am an adult and can take care of myself, where RCI feels I am still a child, lol.

I love sailing from Pt Canaveral. It doesn't seem to be the party atmosphere that we have encountered on either a 4 day cruise or sailing from south Florida. That is not to say that the bars etc aren't busy, it's just that perhaps Pt Canaveral doesn't attract as many party people for the longer cruises. JMO.

My 15 yo daughter enjoyed our recent cruise on Carnival Glory but she said she still enjoys RCCL Freedom and Voyager class ships more. She said there are just more things to do on the big RCCL ships. RCCL is still my favorite but Carnival was $600 less for an upper balcony cabin. Carnival seems to have more of a "party" or Las Vegas atmosphere, some like that ...... some don't.

As far as ship lay-out the big RCCL ships win hands down IMHO.

Nonsense (I was going to say "horsesh**" but thought better of it). If you haven't sailed on Carnival you can't give a valid opinion. I love RCI and I had a great time on my first Carnival cruise, on Paradise.

Hogwash. One of our best cruises ever was on the dinky little Fantasy. Service was great food was great and we had a ball. A cruise is what you make of it. If you want to go on a cruise and start with the "Royal does this better" routine then I guarantee you'll be disappointed. Go with an open mind that you want to enjoy yourself and you will. Does RCI do some things better than Carnival? Sure they do. Do they do all things better? Nope.

OP, you'll have a ball on Carnival. We stopped cruising RCI last year because of the price. Our last RCI was on the Radiance. A beautiful 8 night cruise on THE most beautiful ship on the ocean but RCI has priced me out of their market along with many others. The big ships with all their crowds and itineraries that simply suck compared to 4 or 5 years ago - they can have them. We saved over $1000 booking our Valor cruise next year and until RCI brings their price down we'll gladly enjoy our 7 days in the Caribbean on board another ship on another line.

Well said! The Radiance class is my favorite, and I will pay a premium to sail on those ships, but I really don't care for the mega ships. Of course, that seems to be all that we have for the 7-night itineraries to Mexico out of LA now - Mariner, Splendor and Sapphire Princess.

Glad you took it in stride! The paradise is an older ship in the fleet. If you decide to try Carnival again, please check out the Spirit/Conquest or up classes.

I think you will have a much better experience!

I really enjoyed Paradise. She's not easy on the eyes, but for my purposed (a weekend getaway), she was fine. I just wish they would provide some comfy chairs in the bars and public areas.

the title says it all, really...

we love rci and x - really enjoy the atmosphere on the ships (less rowdiness being the biggest attraction) along with great food & service.

my spouse and i are 30s, but don't enjoy the party scene at all - much prefer chatting on the deck with a cup of coffee or reading on the balcony.

the thing is - the carnival cruises are priced so ridiculously (inexpensive) - are 2 carnival cruises worth one x/rci?

i have sailed carnival, just once, in 2002 - it wasnt really luxury that rci and x offer, but i realized things have probably changed over the last 5 years. really did not enjoy it - the food wasnt my style, service was okay, but certainly not luxurious, and the passengers were mostly teenagers -- loud, party atmosphere, etc. i respect that different things are for different people -- just being honest about my preferences here! :)

thoughts?

whenever anyone wants a comparison between any lines I think the best advice I can give them is don't let what others think or say influence you one way or the other. Just go and enjoy your cruise and decide what the differences are for yourself. I mean this in a nice way.

whenever anyone wants a comparison between any lines I think the best advice I can give them is don't let what others think or say influence you one way or the other. Just go and enjoy your cruise and decide what the differences are for yourself. I mean this in a nice way.

I totally agree. One of my closest friends (and my cruise buddy) is on her 1st carnival cruise this week. She sent me an email yesterday and said everything is AWESOME! Now, this is coming from someone who's been on HAL, Princess and RCCL. She was very apprehensive for this cruise because she LOVES RCCL and had "heard" not such good things about CCL, but all of her doubts were for nothing :) She wrote that their room (ocean view) was great, their room steward fantastic, food's excellent and the activities for the 1st sea day were plenty! I'm looking forward to trying CCL in the future as well. Go and have a wonderful cruise:)

Lindsay

Having sailed on Carnival, Costa, RCCL, and Celebrity, I fins them all different, but none completely better or worse than others. Some lines and ships have food, entertainment, types of service, atmosphere, that differs and may or may not be to your taste. But overall I think you would be pleased on any of those lines. You will find people that say the food on line or ship A is worse than on line or ship B and then find just as many that say the opposite. You will find RCCL people horrified at the mere thought of Carnival and just as many Carnival people who think all those RCCL are boring snobs.:rolleyes:

As you can see from my signature line, I've enjoyed all the crusies I've ever been on.

True Carnival ships look more like Vegas, RCI ships looking more upscale, we still enjoyed BOTH cruise lines. We have always cruise on Carnival's newer ships and have had a great time, even friends that we have gone with loved Carnival also. Saw just as many drunk and rowdy people on RCI as on Carnival (not that there were a lot on both). This is issue a misconception, maybe years ago that was a problem on Carnival but not our experience on both cruises we have taken on both their ships.

Just go with an open mind and you will have a great time, just as you should do with any vacation!

Having sailed on Carnival, Costa, RCCL, and Celebrity, I fins them all different, but none completely better or worse than others. Some lines and ships have food, entertainment, types of service, atmosphere, that differs and may or may not be to your taste. But overall I think you would be pleased on any of those lines. You will find people that say the food on line or ship A is worse than on line or ship B and then find just as many that say the opposite. You will find RCCL people horrified at the mere thought of Carnival and just as many Carnival people who think all those RCCL are boring snobs.:rolleyes:

As you can see from my signature line, I've enjoyed all the crusies I've ever been on.

I agree!! :D

I'm so happy to see all the responses here...a lot less Carnival bashing than there used to be. It's SO refreshing :)

• 3 weeks later...

We prefer RCCL. We've been on three Royal & two Carnival. There was no comparison. The Carnival was still a great trip, but the service & onboard activities were not what we were used to with Royal. The last Carnival cruise we took was in 2002 also. I have heard from friends that have gone recently on the newer Carnival ships that they were just as good as Royal. I will find out in the next few years as we will begin cruising with our child and probably need the cheaper prices. Right now we are counting the days to our RCCL cruise on Enchantment of the Seas only 13 days to go!!!! Any cruise is a good cruise!!!!!

True Carnival ships look more like Vegas, RCI ships looking more upscale, we still enjoyed BOTH cruise lines. We have always cruise on Carnival's newer ships and have had a great time, even friends that we have gone with loved Carnival also. Saw just as many drunk and rowdy people on RCI as on Carnival (not that there were a lot on both). This is issue a misconception, maybe years ago that was a problem on Carnival but not our experience on both cruises we have taken on both their ships.

Just go with an open mind and you will have a great time, just as you should do with any vacation!

The above was from a previous post of mine.

I totally agree...people will end up getting biased from the negativity here and just look for the negative when they cruise, no matter what line is discussed in the negative. Just stick to Carnival's newer ships if you decide to cruise with them.

Last year in April, 30 of us cruised for my son's 40th birthday aboard Carnival Freedom. It was the best cruise I ever had out of maybe 20+ cruises. It wasn't the ship nor the cruise line. It was traveling with family and friends. The first timers are now cruise addicts and can't wait to cruise again. I prefer Royal because of my personal likes and dislikes. I've never had a bad cruise on either line. I cruised last June on the Explorer and had a great time. It just wasn't my favorite ship. I cruised in January on the Navigator of the Seas, and now that's my favorite ship. I cruise next week on the Grandeur of the Seas, which used to be my favorite. And next year in May, we'll be on the Carnival Freedom for my cousin's daughter's 40th birthday. I don't find the food on Carnival better, but I do prefer their foo-foo drinks. Like I said previously, it's my personal likes and dislikes. Have an open mind, and enjoy the "art" of cruising. Cruising is fun.

Archived