Walking Tour of Tallinn now in pdf format

Tallinn, Estonia, is a great place to see on foot. It is a medieval town with old walls, buildings and churches that just beg to be explored. A walking tour on your own is very doable and advisable for this great city.

I have had many people ask me if it was ok to print the walking tour I have put together for Tallinn. And, of course, that is fine. But to make this easier I have also converted them to pdf format. That means that there are no nasty page breaks and you can print the pages you want. I have done the same for the walking tours of Bruges, Belgium, and Amsterdam. If you like to have a look, go to the following web pages and click on the pdf links shown on the first page. To download the pdf files be patient, they take a bit longer.

For Tallinn go to

http://www.*****.com/tallinnwalk.html

For Bruges it is

http://www.*****.com/Brugge%205.html

And for Amsterdam

http://www.*****.com/Amsterdam.html

Enjoy the Baltic cities and your days at sea.

Edited by Lair Bear

Tallinn, Estonia, is a great place to see on foot. It is a medieval town with old walls, buildings and churches that just beg to be explored. A walking tour on your own is very doable and advisable for this great city.

I have had many people ask me if it was ok to print the walking tour I have put together for Tallinn. And, of course, that is fine. But to make this easier I have also converted them to pdf format. That means that there are no nasty page breaks and you can print the pages you want. I have done the same for the walking tours of Bruges, Belgium, and Amsterdam. If you like to have a look, go to the following web pages and click on the pdf links shown on the first page. To download the pdf files be patient, they take a bit longer.

For Tallinn go to

http://www.*****.com/tallinnwalk.html

For Bruges it is

http://www.*****.com/Brugge%205.html

And for Amsterdam

http://www.*****.com/Amsterdam.html

Enjoy the Baltic cities and your days at sea.

Lair Bear - can you define "longer"? I have tried 2 x to get the PDF file for Tallin and all my computer does is lock up. Any suggestions? I'd love to have it.

Thanks

Ooh! I'll take that one too. Thanks again, LB!

OK Bigwally, just a comment about these walks.

When you get started in Tallinn and Bruges, you will wonder why there are no people on this route.

That is one of the nice things here. Most people are dropped off in the center of town. But we start out slow, see some of the unusual, and eventually meet the crowds at the square.

You could take the tour in reverse, but I think you would be disappointed.

Have a great trip and enjoy (based on your comments and suggestions, I know you will).

I have had many people ask me if it was ok to print the walking tour I have put together for Tallinn. And, of course, that is fine. But to make this easier I have also converted them to pdf format. That means that there are no nasty page breaks and you can print the pages you want.

Lair Bear--thank you very much--you obviously put a lot of work into these. You will undoubtedly make our short stay in Tallinn more productive.

Les

Lair Bear - can you define "longer"? I have tried 2 x to get the PDF file for Tallin and all my computer does is lock up. Any suggestions? I'd love to have it.

Thanks

Try downloading instead of loading it up in your browser. Right mouse click and choose "Save Target As" (IE), "Save Link As" (Firefox), or whatever the equivalent is in the browser you use.

Here is the direct link

http://www.*****.com/Tallinn%20Walking%20Tour.pdf

You may also need to have the software to 'read' pdf files installed on your computer. You can get that free from Adobe. They make a big ad out of the following web site, but just click on 'download', fill in the details and you will have it shortly.

http://adobe.9-pdf-pro.com/index.asp?aff=100&camp=gg_AA_us&se=google

Don't buy their products unless you want to. If you need more details about creating pdf files let me know. There is a free way to do that also.

Dear Lair Bear,

Wonderful stuff! Great photos and easy-to-follow directions. Printing out the

Tallinn information now, which I had no trouble downloading in the handy PDF format. Many thanks for all of your efforts. This is so helpful!

Best regards~

Dear Lair Bear,

Thank you for the information. You must have put in lots of time to do this. I will be in Tallin in May and I am sure I will have a great time following your pathway. Your effort and help are very much appreciated.

Travel Fairy

This is great, thanks so much. I have one question. About how long does the Tallinn Tour take. Unfortunately we're only in Tallinn from 7:00 until 1:00. If we try to do the entire tour, will we be rushing too much? Are there parts you would suggest to either skip or view quickly?

Thanks again for all your help.

This is great, thanks so much. I have one question. About how long does the Tallinn Tour take. Unfortunately we're only in Tallinn from 7:00 until 1:00. If we try to do the entire tour, will we be rushing too much? Are there parts you would suggest to either skip or view quickly?

The route looks longer than it really is. The Tallinn streets and alleys are short but interesting. We did this walk from about 9:00 am until 4:00 pm but spent a lot of time for lunch and browsing and shopping in the afternoon. You could do the whole route in two hours if you don't stop anywhere, but that is no fun.

The first part is where you could save some time.

After you enter through the main gate and pass the first church, stay on Pikk street until you come to the busy intersection with the grey house and portal. This skips the section with the wall and towers, but it takes you directly to the more interesting sites. I believe this is also the way Steve's route recommends.

Thanks to all of you who had nice comments. When we took this walking trip we enjoyed it very much. We did get 'lost' a couple times when we explored narrow alleys, but found our bearings within seconds.

One thing you might consider, something I did not mention but we actually did, is to explore the open markets along the east wall.

For some additional pictures and comments you might browse our experience at http://www.*****.com/Estonia.html

Have a marvelous trip, you all.

The route looks longer than it really is. The Tallinn streets and alleys are short but interesting. We did this walk from about 9:00 am until 4:00 pm but spent a lot of time for lunch and browsing and shopping in the afternoon. You could do the whole route in two hours if you don't stop anywhere, but that is no fun.

The first part is where you could save some time.

After you enter through the main gate and pass the first church, stay on Pikk street until you come to the busy intersection with the grey house and portal. This skips the section with the wall and towers, but it takes you directly to the more interesting sites. I believe this is also the way Steve's route recommends.

Thanks to all of you who had nice comments. When we took this walking trip we enjoyed it very much. We did get 'lost' a couple times when we explored narrow alleys, but found our bearings within seconds.

One thing you might consider, something I did not mention but we actually did, is to explore the open markets along the east wall.

For some additional pictures and comments you might browse our experience at http://www.*****.com/Estonia.html

Have a marvelous trip, you all.

Thanks again!!

Thank you so much for sharing this with us. One quick question, do you have any idea how many miles the whole route is?

That is hard to say because it depends on how much 'exploring' you want to do. But let's put it this way:

From the ship to the main gate is about .75 miles.

From there to the Toompea roughly .75 miles.

Then to the main square about .25 miles

Plus 1.25 miles back to the ship.

So, total about three miles. But factor in another mile or so for 'getting lost' (on purpose or by chance while having fun browsing). I would count on four miles.

Now, there have been complaints from some people who cannot walk well that the cobble stone streets are rough, that there is a hill to climb, and that is easier to take a cab to Toompea. You be the judge.

Try downloading instead of loading it up in your browser. Right mouse click and choose "Save Target As" (IE), "Save Link As" (Firefox), or whatever the equivalent is in the browser you use.

This worked! Thanks Bigwally!

Thanks Lair Bear - great job!

this is really awesome stuff. we are traveling to northern europe in late june. i think we will use the tallin and amsterdam walks. about how far from the ship is it in amsterdam? also would you have any other walking tours for other scandanavian cities.? stockholm, coppenhagen, oslo, etc???

this is really awesome stuff. we are traveling to northern europe in late june. i think we will use the tallin and amsterdam walks. about how far from the ship is it in amsterdam? also would you have any other walking tours for other scandanavian cities.? stockholm, coppenhagen, oslo, etc???

I never measured the total distance of the Amsterdam walk, but from the ship terminal to Centraal Station is about .75 miles. Then from the start of the walk at Schreiers Toren it is again about .75 miles to De Dam. Perhaps you can figure out the rest from the map. I would say that to get to Anne Frank House without stopping for lunch and shopping would take about an hour and a half at a leisurely pace.

Walking tours of the three cities were interesting to put together because there is so much to see and do within a short distance. Bruges and Tallinn are so unique being that they are ancient and well kept. Amsterdam is a bit more cosmopolitan but with the canals also very unique.

I had considered doing a walk for Helsinki, but realized that public transportation such as the 3T tram and a boat tour to the fortress don't need my input. Rich Steves has a walk for that city but I am not sure it is as interesting.

In Copenhagen I would recommend checking into the walk with Hans Christian Anderson, a delightful character whom I describe in our tour of that city. See web site below and go to our Baltic trip.

Thank you, Lair Bear for your Tallinn walk description. It looks quite complete and your directions appear to be superb. The menu for the restaurant looks very interesting. Do you know whether any of the dishes are seasonal or are they available year around?

Steve and Avra

Thank you, Lair Bear for your Tallinn walk description. It looks quite complete and your directions appear to be superb. The menu for the restaurant looks very interesting. Do you know whether any of the dishes are seasonal or are they available year around?

Steve and Avra

Sorry for the delay, Steve and Avra.

But to answer your question . . . I don't really know. I would assume that being a tourist attraction, that the restaurant features these dishes during the summer months. If they are open at all during the rest of the year, I would think they change the menu.

We enjoyed the ambiance, the young kids who work there and the friendly chat we had with them. The reindeer sausage with sweet potatoes, sour cream and red cabbage was delicious. As I mentioned, the sweet beer was not, but it was fun trying.

Lair Bear

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences and adventures. The walking tour looks superb and I'm sure will be a highlight of our Baltic cruise in August.

Thanks once again

Debbie

Debbie, I don't want to be responsible if this is not your highlight, OK??

I must admit, that Tallinn and Bruges were indeed memorable cities of our Baltic cruise. We had lots of fun exploring 'on our own'.

Yet, overall, St. Petersburg was outstanding, despite the fact that we did that with a tour company rather than 'on our own'. It was very easy to decide that the tours in St. P. as offered by the ship (that were broken up into morning and afternoon excursions with hundreds of people horded onto busses) was not our way to see the numerous attractions. But that is another subject.