Walking Tour of Tallinn now in pdf format

Sorry for the delay, Steve and Avra.

We enjoyed the ambiance, the young kids who work there and the friendly chat we had with them. The reindeer sausage with sweet potatoes, sour cream and red cabbage was delicious. As I mentioned, the sweet beer was not, but it was fun trying.

It sounds like fun. I wonder how the reindeer sausage compares with the caribou sausage that we enjoyed in Alaska. I will have to try it. I am not sure what sweet beer is. Is it like hefeweisen?

It sounds like fun. I wonder how the reindeer sausage compares with the caribou sausage that we enjoyed in Alaska. I will have to try it. I am not sure what sweet beer is. Is it like hefeweisen?

I am not a beer drinker but like a Heineken or a DosXX from time to time. In Tallinn we tasted 'honey beer' and 'herbed beer'.

Perhaps if they had not called it 'beer' it might have been ok.

However, others on this forum, liked that. And there was a thread all about beer here somewhere.

Have a great trip and it looks like there are many others on this forum who will join you on this journey that starts in my birth place: Rotterdam.

Debbie, I don't want to be responsible if this is not your highlight, OK??

I must admit, that Tallinn and Bruges were indeed memorable cities of our Baltic cruise. We had lots of fun exploring 'on our own'.

Yet, overall, St. Petersburg was outstanding, despite the fact that we did that with a tour company rather than 'on our own'. It was very easy to decide that the tours in St. P. as offered by the ship (that were broken up into morning and afternoon excursions with hundreds of people horded onto busses) was not our way to see the numerous attractions. But that is another subject.

Lol I won't hold you responsible I promise;). I showed our 9 year old DD some of the pictures of Tallinn and she was totally wowed by them, so if she's happy then I'm happy.

We're also doing a private tour in St. Petersburg (with Anastasia) as we're not fans of ships' tours so I'm really looking forward to that as well.

Debbie :)

Lair Bear

Thanks for all your info. Our group just made lunch reservations on-line for the olde hansa restaurant. It looks like a very unique place.

We were very lucky with the weather. It was warm and pleasant to sit outside. If they seat you outside, however, be sure to take a look inside the restaurant as well. It is rather dark but certainly unique with all the candles. And go to the restrooms! I have some more pictures on our web site of our actual experience. Just go to http://www.*****.com/Baltic.html

Have a great trip.

THANK YOU for sharing your beautiful website.

I will be going to the Baltic in June and will take a copy of your walking tours with me. I appreciate the work and time it took to create such a masterpiece.

Barbara

Lair Bear,

Thank you for this lovely guide. I just decided at the last minute (because of some great deals) to book our first Baltic cruise. But it leaves me with only 2 weeks to plan! :eek: So, I am extremely grateful to the helpful people like you that post on cruise critic. :p

We'll be on the Constellation May 2 and I can't wait to "walk in your shoes!" I'll let you know how many times we get lost!

Trish

• 2 weeks later...

Lair Bear, that's brilliant. We sail from Dover on the Norwegian Jewel on 10th May and will be in Tallinn in 2 weeks' time. We shall certainly use the route.

We were there a few years ago in the autumn (fall, to those across the Big Pond) and it was foggy, so fingers crossed!

I should warn folk that many of the older streets have HUGE cobblestones. Watch your ankles, especially if your heels are higher than flat!

Lair Bear,

We'll be on the Constellation May 2 and I can't wait to "walk in your shoes!" I'll let you know how many times we get lost!

Trish

I know you are kidding about 'getting lost'. But for those who are afraid, let me mention that in Tallinn there is no way to 'really get lost'. There are numerous alleys, arched gateways and some blind streets. But they all lead to having fun.

I was a bit vague on the map about where to go after reaching the main square. It is just for that reason: get lost.

If any of you have a chance to see the movie 'The Singing Revolution' go see it. It is all about the history of Estonia and how the people got from under the oppressive rule of Russia by gathering and singing their native songs in huge groups. It is still an annual affair.

Thanks to all of you for the nice comments about our web site and walking tours. Have fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I will join the crowd and say thanks for all your work in putting together this walking tour! It looks like a ton of fun and we can't wait! I am cruising with my husband and his parents in July, and we had planned to walk Tallinn on our own; this will let us do it with confidence!

Thanks again!

Oh, and your pictures are beautiful!

Tallinn, Estonia, is a great place to see on foot. It is a medieval town with old walls, buildings and churches that just beg to be explored. A walking tour on your own is very doable and advisable for this great city.

I have had many people ask me if it was ok to print the walking tour I have put together for Tallinn. And, of course, that is fine. But to make this easier I have also converted them to pdf format. That means that there are no nasty page breaks and you can print the pages you want. I have done the same for the walking tours of Bruges, Belgium, and Amsterdam. If you like to have a look, go to the following web pages and click on the pdf links shown on the first page. To download the pdf files be patient, they take a bit longer.

For Tallinn go to

http://www.*****.com/tallinnwalk.html

For Bruges it is

http://www.*****.com/Brugge%205.html

And for Amsterdam

http://www.*****.com/Amsterdam.html

Enjoy the Baltic cities and your days at sea.

So helpful. Thanks for all of your work!

Just how "hilly" is Tallinn old town?

I will be travelling with my 76yr old mum who whilst she is very active and is great on level ground, she would struggle with any big uphill walks so I am contemplating taking the ships panoramic town which then ends with a "small" walking tour of the top of town.

The plan is then that we both explore the rest of the old town working our way "down hill" en-route back to the ship.

Having not been to Tallinn, have I made the right decision to do the panoramic tour as a means of avoiding some of the uphill walking, or is Tallinn more "level ground" than I think it is?

Many thanks Linda

Below is the info for the 2hr 45min panoramic tour:

This excursion combines a short walking tour of the highlights of Tallinn that can only be enjoyed on foot, as well as a scenic panoramic tour of the city's major attractions and surrounding area. Depart from the pier for the scenic sightseeing drive of the surroundings of Tallinn. Pass the main recreation area of Tallinn, the beautiful Kadriorg Park, founded by Peter the Great in honour of his wife Catherine. En route you will have a photo stop at the Song Festival Ground, which is home to the Estonian Song Festival that is held every five years with up to 30,000 performers singing to a capacity of 300,000 spectators. Leaving the city, pass the well-preserved 16th-century ruins of St. Bridget's Convent. Also, view the Forest Cemetery, where many famous Estonians are buried in a natural pine wood setting, as you travel to the district of Pirita where you will pass the Olympic Yachting Complex. After a short drive to Tallinn's Old Town, where ancient walls and tower gates can be seen, arrive at Tall Hermann Tower. Disembark the coach for a short walk up Toompea Hill to Palace Square where you can view the baroque Toompea Castle, now housing the Estonian Parliament. Visit the Russian Orthodox Church of St. Alexander Nevsky. Built in the traditional style of Moscow churches of the 17th century, the interior contains a number of gold icons and mosaics. Also, discover the famous 13th-century Dome Church known as St. Mary's Cathedral. Inside the church more than 100 medieval coats of arms are normally on display. After visiting the Russian Orthodox Church and the Dome Church, walk a short distance for a beautiful panoramic view of the Lower Town with its towers and steeples rising above the cluster of red-tiled roofs. Reboard your coach for the return trip to the pier, or stay on and make your own way back to the ship.

I will be travelling with my 76yr old mum who whilst she is very active and is great on level ground, she would struggle with any big uphill walks so I am contemplating taking the ships panoramic town which then ends with a "small" walking tour of the top of town.

The plan is then that we both explore the rest of the old town working our way "down hill" en-route back to the ship.

Having not been to Tallinn, have I made the right decision to do the panoramic tour as a means of avoiding some of the uphill walking, or is Tallinn more "level ground" than I think it is?

Many thanks Linda

Several years ago we went on the bus tour, and in my opinion the bus part was a total waste of time. The Song Festival Ground is nothing more than a big amphitheater. The Olympic Yachting Complex is a marina.

However, the Old Town is fascinating. I suggest you take a taxi to Toompea Hill/Palace Square and proceed on your walk from there. Once you see the upper Old Town, you can go down hill and visit the lower Old Town. It is all down hill. Then it is a short walk or taxi ride back to the ship.

What an amazing website. Thanks so much.

We were possibly interested in seeing the

Dominican Monastery Claustrum And Epping Tower. Do you know where these would fall along your walking tour??

Has anyone been to either of these places?

Thanks so much,

Epping Tower is indeed along the walk I describe. It is along the section shown on page 5 of the pdf file. Here are two pictures of our little group looking up at the tower.

b337.jpgb338.jpg

Dominican Monastery Claustrum is also along the walk. It is at the east end of Katherine Passage as shown below. Unfortunately we were not able to go inside on the day we were there.

b441.jpgb442.jpg

In your situation, I think it would be smart to do this 'panoramic' tour. Tallinn does have some pretty steep sections to get to the top of Toompea. I think if the tour includes that area and then drops you off near the main square, you would be better of. Once in 'Old Town' the walking is easy (although there are some pretty good cobblestones, but with dilligence you should have no problem.

Let me just add that the cobblestone streets are typically as shown in the pictures of Katherine Passage above.

The gentleman in the blue shirt in the other picture was 82 at the time. He and his wife, who is a couple years younger, did the whole walking tour with no problems. He also walked to the train station in Zeebrugge, but that is another story.

Perhaps there is still hope for these old bones of mine.

Edited by Lair Bear