Walking Tour of Tallinn now in pdf format

I too was part of this "Please email me" syndrome few months ago.

Having visited Tallinn earlier this week with printout of both this and Rick Steve's walking guide, my personal opinion is that

a) This particular one is totally acceptable but not as descriptive and helpful as it could have been.

b) One from Rick Steve is much easier to get hold of and bit more helpful

However, both of them can use some feedback to make it more friemdier.

I have modified Rick Steve's as it is better of the two and wil be sending it to hos company in case they want to update it in their next version.

Until then, I would recommend just using Rick Steve's compared to this one.

Edited by hal2008

I too was part of this "Please email me" syndrome few months ago.

Having visited Tallinn earlier this week with printout of both this and Rick Steve's walking guide, my personal opinion is that

a) This particular one is totally acceptable but not as descriptive and helpful as it could have been.

b) One from Rick Steve is much easier to get hold of and bit more helpful

However, both of them can use some feedback to make it more friemdier.

I have modified Rick Steve's as it is better of the two and wil be sending it to hos company in case they want to update it in their next version.

Until then, I would recommend just using Rick Steve's compared to this one.

Thanks for posting this - I was going to ask if anyone had compared it Rick Steve's guide (that was what were planning to use) and low and behold you did!

What updates did you think were needed for the Rick Steve's guide?

Smithsonian published an article by Rick Steves on Tallinn.

I haven't compared it to my guidebook or LairBears.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/ricksteves/a-walking-tour-of-tallinn-5779/?no-ist

I did a quick check against Steve's Northern European Port Guides - the Smithsonian seems to be a tad different (nothing major). I'm going to print the Smithsonian version and have that handy. Thanks!

Note: the Smithsonian article is dated 2010 - his book's copyright 2013 - so the book is probably more up to date.

Edited by buggins0402

wow. even when alerted that "free" walking map has better alternatives, people keep posting personal emails on public forums...

many minor suggestions in my letter to RS publication co but

if you have plenty of time and waking energy then I would

a) add detour to see old walls and towers which are covered in "free walking" map but not in RS book

b) also add a detour towards the end to take Catherine's passage

If you are short on time (or energy) then taking either bus #2 (1 Euro pp) to Viru Hotel or Tallink Takso (6-7 euro per taxi) to the castle/Russian church and pickup walking tour from there

Regarding minor suggestions:

At various steps such as while visiting viewpoints or when getting out of town square, directions need to be more precise or may be add map/photo to avoid getting lost

To me, as far as you cover viewpoints, Russian church, toompea castle, kiek in kock, town square, some part of Pikk Lag, Viru Street area - you have covered the main points. Anything extra is gravy. Having visited dozen or so European "old towns" in the last couple of years, I am getting bored of them but would certainly rank Tallinn as must-visit and 2-3 hours to walk around plus few more to enjoy shops/restaurants are worth it.

Tallinn is definitely a DIY port with plenty of guidebooks available. Risk Steve's walking tour is better than this "please email me to" one. Not worth posting personal email in public forum. (IMHO, YMMV)

Edited by hal2008

wow. even when alerted that "free" walking map has better alternatives, people keep posting personal emails on public forums...

many minor suggestions in my letter to RS publication co but

if you have plenty of time and waking energy then I would

a) add detour to see old walls and towers which are covered in "free walking" map but not in RS book

b) also add a detour towards the end to take Catherine's passage

If you are short on time (or energy) then taking either bus #2 (1 Euro pp) to Viru Hotel or Tallink Takso (6-7 euro per taxi) to the castle/Russian church and pickup walking tour from there

Regarding minor suggestions:

At various steps such as while visiting viewpoints or when getting out of town square, directions need to be more precise or may be add map/photo to avoid getting lost

To me, as far as you cover viewpoints, Russian church, toompea castle, kiek in kock, town square, some part of Pikk Lag, Viru Street area - you have covered the main points. Anything extra is gravy. Having visited dozen or so European "old towns" in the last couple of years, I am getting bored of them but would certainly rank Tallinn as must-visit and 2-3 hours to walk around plus few more to enjoy shops/restaurants are worth it.

Tallinn is definitely a DIY port with plenty of guidebooks available. Risk Steve's walking tour is better than this "please email me to" one. Not worth posting personal email in public forum. (IMHO, YMMV)

Thanks. It sounds like we may be able to add one of Rick Steves sites outside of Old Town, if the whole thing could be done in 4-5 hours with shops and a restaurant stop. I'll have to look through the book for what might be appealing.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had many people ask me if it was ok to print the walking tour I have put together for Tallinn. And, of course, that is fine. But to make this easier I have also converted them to pdf format.

For Tallinn go to

Hi Lair Bear,

If you are still about any chance of getting this. the link doesn't work. Or could you post on Brilliance of the Seas 1st July 2014 thread.

I do hope this gets to you.

Thank you.

I had the Rick Steves tour with us but we ended up just meandering around and exploring. it's that kind of place...

I read you review earlier and I think I may take your advice. I booked SPB Tours for St Petersburg.

Probably will do HoHo buses for other ports.

Thanks for the review.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Lair Bear,

If you are still about any chance of getting this. the link doesn't work. Or could you post on Brilliance of the Seas 1st July 2014 thread.

I do hope this gets to you.

Thank you.

Hi

Lair Bear closed his website down about a year ago, but I used it for my walking tour of Tallinn and made this from wandering around. I didn't go everywhere he pointed out but this probably shows most of it. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]fAC8F_2qTTY[/YOUTUBE]

We are also interested in the walking tour of Tallinn- could you email it to us at mockfour@yahoo.com as well?

Thanks for your help!

Can we please have the PDF of walking tour .l.downing@btinternet.com

Thank you :)

Sent to you both. Happy cruisin, I addressed the email exactly as you have put the address here but not sure if the first dot should be there. Let me know if you don't receive it and I will try again :)

Sent to you both. Happy cruisin, I addressed the email exactly as you have put the address here but not sure if the first dot should be there. Let me know if you don't receive it and I will try again :)

Thank you so much. It looks very informative! We were wondering if it's very difficult to get from the ship (we're on Celebrity Constellation) to town and approximately how long the walking tour would take?