Dyea Dave in Skagway?

tacotam

tacotam when you are on the page that lists the threads for Alaska on the top right corner there is a button called "Search this Forum", click it and type Dyea Dave and you will find lots of people who've used him.

We will be in Alaska in May and although we are not using him (he was booked) he did hook us up with his friend. Really nice guy.

Reviews are positive.

Has anyone did a tour with Dyea Dave in Skagway? I can't seem to find any feedback from people that have gone on a tour with this guy.

I'll be using him in late May...I'll post a review when I return. So far he has been quite accomadating for our tour needs. Theres nothing like local flavor to get the most out of an area tour...and Dave seems to have a lot of flavor!

The three of you that have listed that you are going in Aug. What ship and date are you going. We will be on the Radiance and will be in Skagway on Monday the 24th and are going with Dave both up and back to Emerald Lake, we had decided not to go up on the train because my husband doen't like the going over bridges with nothing under us for miles.

So when are you guys all going, would love to hear from you!!

Sounds like he has great tours. I sent several e-mails and left a phone message but he never got back to me. :(

We booked a ship tour. I really wanted to do his tour, but couldn't get it booked.

I am surprised you did not connect, I called, had a long conversation and he followed up with an email. Can't wait, he was very accommodating and easy to chat with.

I sent several e-mails and left a phone message but he never got back to me. :(

I know this has been discussed before, but I think patience is needed with a lot of small tour operators. We like them because they're not the big guys, right? Some tours I've set up in Alaska, though not Dave, required a 2nd email to get in touch. With a 1 person operation I really don't consider speedy email handling as part of my criteria for choosing someone.

While I don't doubt that folks have trouble getting in touch with Dave at times, when I wrote him early last week to book a tour with him for August 17th, he replied immediately. Perhaps Dave only checks email a couple times a week in the off season and I just got lucky?

I know this has been discussed before, but I think patience is needed with a lot of small tour operators. We like them because they're not the big guys, right? Some tours I've set up in Alaska, though not Dave, required a 2nd email to get in touch. With a 1 person operation I really don't consider speedy email handling as part of my criteria for choosing someone.

I think 4 months is patience enough! - At least for me it is!

The three of you that have listed that you are going in Aug. What ship and date are you going. We will be on the Radiance and will be in Skagway on Monday the 24th and are going with Dave both up and back to Emerald Lake, we had decided not to go up on the train because my husband doen't like the going over bridges with nothing under us for miles.

So when are you guys all going, would love to hear from you!!

We are on the Radiance too, the week after you. Some of us are taking the train one way and Dave the other, a couple of us are taking the van both ways.

While I don't doubt that folks have trouble getting in touch with Dave at times, when I wrote him early last week to book a tour with him for August 17th, he replied immediately. Perhaps Dave only checks email a couple times a week in the off season and I just got lucky?

I also got a quick response. Next day E-mail. I have since talked to him twice. We are booked the next day Aug. 18th. We are doing the 6-7 hr trip. Carcross, Yukon and Emerald lake. He will pick us up at the ship and drop us off in Frazer for the train ride down.

I have to say, he replied within 24 hours to my email. I put my phone number on the email and he called me to discuss the options. I am booked to take a tour on July 5th. I will be doing a tour of Skagway and a trip to Dyea with his sister.

My Gang will be going out of Whittier on the 22nd on Diamond Princess. We have Dave booked for Tuesday the 25th in Skagway. He told us NOT to book the train ahead of time. If it was a great day when we were docking we should head up on the train and he meet us at the top. If it was bad- he would meet us at the ship and drop us off to take the train down.

I spoke to him for about a half hour on the phone- he sounds like a real character- as are all my friends. We should have a great time LOL

John

Office of Outside of the Box people

The Zamgwar Institute

My Gang will be going out of Whittier on the 22nd on Diamond Princess. We have Dave booked for Tuesday the 25th in Skagway. He told us NOT to book the train ahead of time. If it was a great day when we were docking we should head up on the train and he meet us at the top. If it was bad- he would meet us at the ship and drop us off to take the train down.

I spoke to him for about a half hour on the phone- he sounds like a real character- as are all my friends. We should have a great time LOL

John

Office of Outside of the Box people

The Zamgwar Institute

My sentiments exactly, we're dping the same thing, can't wait, thought he was upfront and honest.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to live in Skagway and am happy to vouch for Dyea Dave whenever possible. I set my family up with him when they visited (while I worked) and all returned raving about how much fun they had. You'll fall in love with his larger than life persona the instant you meet.

Dave's a veritable institution in Skagway. You'll have a great tour (but as noted above, book early... he works 24/7 but can only fit so many folks on his tours).

Enjoy your time in Skagway... I miss it, and Dave, a lot.

I used to live in Skagway and am happy to vouch for Dyea Dave whenever possible. I set my family up with him when they visited (while I worked) and all returned raving about how much fun they had. You'll fall in love with his larger than life persona the instant you meet.

Dave's a veritable institution in Skagway. You'll have a great tour (but as noted above, book early... he works 24/7 but can only fit so many folks on his tours).

Enjoy your time in Skagway... I miss it, and Dave, a lot.

Just reading this gets me so excited again for his tour. This probably one of the ones I am looking forward to the most (next to the bear tour out of Homer, sorry Dave) :D. Really looking forward to it!!!

Just reading this gets me so excited again for his tour. This probably one of the ones I am looking forward to the most (next to the bear tour out of Homer' date=' sorry Dave) :D. Really looking forward to it!!![/quote']

Dave has a special love for bears... he won't be offended :)

• 2 weeks later...
I have to say, he replied within 24 hours to my email. I put my phone number on the email and he called me to discuss the options. I am booked to take a tour on July 5th. I will be doing a tour of Skagway and a trip to Dyea with his sister.

Hi tacotam,

how many people can he accommodate,how many vans does dave have??

Archived