Dyea Dave in Skagway?

tacotam

We toured with Dave two weeks ago and enjoyed it. He is very nice and well informed on a number of subjects including the geology and history of the area. Considering the cost of everything in Alaska, Dave's tour was quite reasonable. We enjoyed our time and have great pictures to prove it. Decided not to do the train, just stayed on Dave's van both ways. No problems in crossing the Canadian border and had a tasty lunch in the Yukon. We even found out that Dave spent some time living in Michigan. Oh yeah, that sense of humor? Quite sparkling!!!

• 3 weeks later...

My DH and I booked with Dyea Dave by email after finding recommendations on CC and Tripadvisor. Our emails were answered promptly by Becky, one response was "please send again after this weekend as I am camping in the mountains" Just the type of tour operator we like!

The day of our tour was cold and wet with the first snow of the season making driving over the pass risky with little visibility for sightseeing. Dave and Becky scrambled for other options and gave us the choice of canceling or making the best of the situation. We chose to make the best of things and had a good day. Dave and Becky were extremely accommodating and flexible.

We rode with Becky as her small bus was easy to get in and out of. It was clean with good windows, and in good shape considering the places she takes it! Becky had great stories and was great at showing us the sights. Enjoyed the personal tour of Skagway! Becky will be offering tours next year with her own new company. So far the name chosen is Beyond Skagway. With her plans for a new 4-wheel drive vehicle...Oh the places she will go!:D I should add that she is starting this company of her own with Dave's blessing and help.

What impressed us the most was Dave and Becky's willingness to salvage the day that would otherwise have been spoiled by the weather. After scrapping the original plan, Dave even went so far as to say "Pay what you want at the end of the tour." No large tour company or ship-sponsored excursion ever gave us that option. After Becky starts her own company it will be tough to choose which one to book with.

My DH and I booked with Dyea Dave by email after finding recommendations on CC and Tripadvisor. Our emails were answered promptly by Becky, one response was "please send again after this weekend as I am camping in the mountains" Just the type of tour operator we like!

The day of our tour was cold and wet with the first snow of the season making driving over the pass risky with little visibility for sightseeing. Dave and Becky scrambled for other options and gave us the choice of canceling or making the best of the situation. We chose to make the best of things and had a good day. Dave and Becky were extremely accommodating and flexible.

We rode with Becky as her small bus was easy to get in and out of. It was clean with good windows, and in good shape considering the places she takes it! Becky had great stories and was great at showing us the sights. Enjoyed the personal tour of Skagway! Becky will be offering tours next year with her own new company. So far the name chosen is Beyond Skagway. With her plans for a new 4-wheel drive vehicle...Oh the places she will go!:D I should add that she is starting this company of her own with Dave's blessing and help.

What impressed us the most was Dave and Becky's willingness to salvage the day that would otherwise have been spoiled by the weather. After scrapping the original plan, Dave even went so far as to say "Pay what you want at the end of the tour." No large tour company or ship-sponsored excursion ever gave us that option. After Becky starts her own company it will be tough to choose which one to book with.

At first I was a little worried that we wouldn't have as good of a time with Becky. I had spoken to Dave on the phone and he is such a character, I thought it would only be good with him. My worries were for nothing! Becky was delightful! She was funny, knowledgeable and sweet. She took us on hikes during our tour and on the way back to the ship, she stopped by her house to show us her garden.... we had talked about gardens, flowers, etc and had several people that were into photography. Now that I've been on Dave's tour (via Becky), I think I'd have to go with Becky for a different... no doubt adventurous... view of Skagway and it's surrounds.

• 1 month later...

:( I know everyone here is a big fan of Dyea Dave, but we did NOT have a good experience with him. We took the train up and booked a ride back from Fraser with Dave. (The best part was that people who werebooked with the cruise lines get to ride in a separate roomier car that does not look or feel like a jammed cattle car!)

1. Dave had a guy who drove up with him, so on the way down he kept saying "I won't tell you about that because I don't want to bore the guy who heard it on the ride up."

2. Dave picked up some hikers who had not showered for 7 days and jammed them and their backpacks in with me in the back seat. Lovely!"

3. Dave wanted to tell his sister she didn't need to pick up the hikers, but couldn't reach her. She drove by while we were going through customs. So in town, he drove to his house and ran inside to call her. Interesting to see how locals live, but what a rinky-dink operation.

The whole experience left us wishing we had not signed up with Dave!

:( I know everyone here is a big fan of Dyea Dave, but we did NOT have a good experience with him. We took the train up and booked a ride back from Fraser with Dave. (The best part was that people who werebooked with the cruise lines get to ride in a separate roomier car that does not look or feel like a jammed cattle car!)

1. Dave had a guy who drove up with him, so on the way down he kept saying "I won't tell you about that because I don't want to bore the guy who heard it on the ride up."

2. Dave picked up some hikers who had not showered for 7 days and jammed them and their backpacks in with me in the back seat. Lovely!"

3. Dave wanted to tell his sister she didn't need to pick up the hikers, but couldn't reach her. She drove by while we were going through customs. So in town, he drove to his house and ran inside to call her. Interesting to see how locals live, but what a rinky-dink operation.

The whole experience left us wishing we had not signed up with Dave!

Sorry for your bad experience. I can only imagine what having smelly hikers on board would be like! :eek:

When the six of us took his tour (actually Becky was our driver) we had a great time and learned a lot.

We were planning on buying our train tickets once we got to Skagway. Are you saying that when you purchase the train tickets through the cruise line you get better roomier cars? Somehow I was thinking the cruise ship cars would be more crowded so this has me re-thinking our strategy. Which is the best way to go, buy your own at the train station or book in advance through the cruise line?

We were planning on buying our train tickets once we got to Skagway. Are you saying that when you purchase the train tickets through the cruise line you get better roomier cars? Somehow I was thinking the cruise ship cars would be more crowded so this has me re-thinking our strategy. Which is the best way to go, buy your own at the train station or book in advance through the cruise line?

The cruise lines and the private vendors do have different cars - but the cars are identical. From my experience, once with HAL and once with Chilkoot Charters, both times the car was "full" - but I wouldn't say they were crowded.

I don't know the answer to that, but when we went with DYEA Dave (Becky), everyone who was going to ride the train back from Emerald Lake decided to stay with the tour because we saw the same thing and they were having such a great time with the tour! They were going to buy their tickets at the return station which is at the border of Canada. On our trip, we saw from the left (north) bank of the river, the train was on the right. Dave's tour is $65 per person and the bus we went on was a very comfortable 16 passenger touring bus. If you ride the train back you pay a one way train fare.

If there is heavy fog, you won't see much from either the train or the road. For us it was foggy in the morning so we went straight up to Emerald Lake. On the way back the fog lifted so we got to see everything over the full day tour.

When I booked independently, my car was almost empty. I guess "it depends."

In July 2008 we took the train from Fraiser back to Skagway after Dave took us up. Our train car ONLY had the people from Dave's van. The conductor said that are car was just for noncruiseship sponsored passengers. So we would have had any other private tour people. We were lucky enough to just have us 10. We could move about the car as much as we wanted. This allowed us to get really great pictures and video.

Jen did you buy your own train tickets? Or were you with a group like Chilkoot? I think if you go with Dyea Dave you have to go to the train station and buy your own tickets.

Dave or Becky will take you to the train station to buy your tickets. I called and purchased my ahead of time. Dave took us to the train station and we picked up the tickets. Dave got us a private car on the way back to Skagway. There were only 6 of us in it.

I just booked a private tour with Becky for August 2011. I was originally contacting Dave to inquire after reading the positive reviews. Since we will have our two children with us (7 & 10) we were worried that they may bother some of the people who are very vocal about leaving children at home. That is not an option for us.

Becky was wonderful and we are going on an private tour in her SUV with side trips of interest to the kids (and us). When I told my (now) 6 year old son that he will be able to build a fort by a lake in the Yukon he said "COOL"! We are all very excited. :rolleyes:

Here is Becky's tour information:

Beyond Skagway Tours

"Backroads with Becky"

email: beyondskagway@hotmail.com

phone: 907-612-0825

Gail

countdown.pl?image=alaska&name=1of4&date=8-24-2011&text=Heading to Alaska!&ship=Volendam

I just booked a private tour with Becky for August 2011. I was originally contacting Dave to inquire after reading the positive reviews. Since we will have our two children with us (7 & 10) we were worried that they may bother some of the people who are very vocal about leaving children at home. That is not an option for us.

Becky was wonderful and we are going on an private tour in her SUV with side trips of interest to the kids (and us). When I told my (now) 6 year old son that he will be able to build a fort by a lake in the Yukon he said "COOL"! We are all very excited. :rolleyes:

I doubt that anyone would say something about kids being on this tour unless they get loud and obnoxious. But remember that this is a long tour so you might want to bring something to occupy the kids during the long drive up and back.

You might also ask Becky about the Geocache near Bove Island lookout. Bring a small token (no more than an inch or two in size) to stick inside and remove whatever "treasure" is currently inside. My son thought it was really "cool". Have a great trip!

Here is Becky's tour information:

Beyond Skagway Tours

"Backroads with Becky"

email: beyondskagway@hotmail.com

phone: 907-612-0825

Gail

countdown.pl?image=alaska&name=1of4&date=8-24-2011&text=Heading to Alaska!&ship=Volendam

I recommeded someone before using them and got my hand slapped by the moderators. Not sure if they will yank your post or not. Is Becky breaking off from Dave? I know she was working for him when we used Dave in May of 2009.

I recommeded someone before using them and got my hand slapped by the moderators. Not sure if they will yank your post or not. Is Becky breaking off from Dave? I know she was working for him when we used Dave in May of 2009.

When I was up in September, she was talking about forming exactly this type of operation.

So I think it is legit.

Thanks for the tip! You are right, he would think that is very cool. Sorry, this is in reply to the idea of the geocache that lilacbirman posted (I am still trying to figure out how the posting works). Also I hope I didn't do anything wrong; I appreciate the heads-up Drifwoodgal, and will be more cautious in the future.

Gail

Archived