Dyea Dave in Skagway?

tacotam

I have put further emails his way - still no response.

My questions therefore:

1. Was it good value given that Dave was not driving and giving what you thought you were paying for i.e. experience etc?

2. I am thinking of booking somewhere else independently if I can at this late stage. Did you hear reports from anybody else about good independent tours to Yukon, Emerald Lake?

Our ports got turned around by HAL (Swopped with Sitkar) and we are running out of time to organise something. HAL does not have any excursions listed for these days yet either.

Thanks for your help.:o

Do I think it was a good value - yes, compared to the huge bus tours the ships seem to use. We were in a small bus - there were 12 of us total as I recall. We were able to stop anywhere we asked, and given as much time as we wanted. Becky was friendly, seemed knowlegeable, and very accomodating. I was just disappointed that we didn't get to spend the time with Dave given all I had read.

Sorry, but I really didn't hear about any other tours for Skagway.

We just got back from a tour with Dave. It was great and was every good thing people have been saying! We took the train up and he was there to pick us up. The van (mini-bus) was comfortable and we had about 4 or 5 empty seats. We got to see 4 bears which, as far as we knew, no one else on our cruise got to see. Yes, his jokes were somethin' else but just about the right amount. I'm still laughing at some of them! Well worth the $$$ and time!

I have put further emails his way - still no response.

My questions therefore:

1. Was it good value given that Dave was not driving and giving what you thought you were paying for i.e. experience etc?

2. I am thinking of booking somewhere else independently if I can at this late stage. Did you hear reports from anybody else about good independent tours to Yukon, Emerald Lake?

Our ports got turned around by HAL (Swopped with Sitkar) and we are running out of time to organise something. HAL does not have any excursions listed for these days yet either.

Thanks for your help.:o

We met Becky on our tour, her van was shadowing our van driven by Dave. Don't know if her jokes can make you groan as much as Dave's did ;) Both of Dave's van are in good condition and the value of the prices Dave charges were right in our budget. Everyone seemed to be having a good time on Becky's bus. I do understand frustration of not getting the tour guide you thought you booked, and instead get someone that works for him.

Hope it turns out for you and you have a great day. I believe Becky is from the area, so she should have knowledge etc.

Thank you so ALL much for all your answers regarding Dyea

Dave and the other tour chilkoot much appreciated information.

Dave did make contact with me tonight via email and he said that he is looking for others to share the 12 July trip to the Ukon and Emerald Lake. So if you know of anybody get in touch, because I really really want to go there.

Thanks again for your replies - Cruise Critic people are great!

Thank you so ALL much for all your answers regarding Dyea

Dave and the other tour chilkoot much appreciated information.

Dave did make contact with me tonight via email and he said that he is looking for others to share the 12 July trip to the Ukon and Emerald Lake. So if you know of anybody get in touch, because I really really want to go there.

Thanks again for your replies - Cruise Critic people are great!

Have you mentioned the tour on your Meet & Mingle thread???? I hope you get enough to make the tour. Other people on our sailing booked a car and did this on their own driving both ways. I liked being able to view everything and let someone else do the driving.

We are greatly looking forward to our tour with Dave next Wednesday - he is to meet us off the ship (Diamond Princess) at 7.30am for us to pick up rail tickets and join the 8am to Fraser where he will pick us up and take us inland for the rest of the day.

I am sure he will still be our guide and I have had no problems in contacting him and receiving email replies.

Colin

I have a similar problem. I know he is sporadic with his emails but tried phoning [well Okay I got my BiL to do it as he lives in BC!] and he couldn't get through but couldn't even leave a voicemail as his inbox is full something:confused:

I'm having the same problem. I was emailing Dave a few weeks ago but I need to confirm that I am booked and what time the tour will start. Trying to call at an appropriate time is difficult because we are 4 hours time difference. I called yesterday. I didn't leave a message but Dave called back last night. Unfortunately, my DH answered because he was still up. I say unfortunately because DH cannot seem to remember anything about our upcoming trip (and we leave on Friday), not even the name of our ship! The ONLY thing he seems to remember about our trip is anything to do with fishing (and I really do mean the only thing he remembers). So, I'm still trying to get in contact with Dave for confirmation since we will be Skagway next week!

I'm having the same problem. I was emailing Dave a few weeks ago but I need to confirm that I am booked and what time the tour will start. Trying to call at an appropriate time is difficult because we are 4 hours time difference. I called yesterday. I didn't leave a message but Dave called back last night. Unfortunately, my DH answered because he was still up. I say unfortunately because DH cannot seem to remember anything about our upcoming trip (and we leave on Friday), not even the name of our ship! The ONLY thing he seems to remember about our trip is anything to do with fishing (and I really do mean the only thing he remembers). So, I'm still trying to get in contact with Dave for confirmation since we will be Skagway next week!

It is a nine hour time diff for me; getting somoene else to call as you can imagine is always a substandard option as they are never motivated to chase contact:(

Have you mentioned the tour on your Meet & Mingle thread???? I hope you get enough to make the tour. Other people on our sailing booked a car and did this on their own driving both ways. I liked being able to view everything and let someone else do the driving.

Yes, thank you for that - but I have tried to get our Meet and Mingle thread going, but nobody on our trip seems really interested except for a couple of us who now correspond by email.:confused: I think it is because I am doing a 14 day cruise Vancouver - Seward, return but there seems to many people doing cruisetours, and north and south sailing. Some other threads around us are really active, but there are no entries just for the north and south bound either.

I am sure it will still be a fantastic trip. We are so looking forward to Alaska.:p:p:p:p:p

It is a nine hour time diff for me; getting somoene else to call as you can imagine is always a substandard option as they are never motivated to chase contact:(

Bingo about DH!!!!:D:D

Yes, thank you for that - but I have tried to get our Meet and Mingle thread going, but nobody on our trip seems really interested except for a couple of us who now correspond by email.:confused: I think it is because I am doing a 14 day cruise Vancouver - Seward, return but there seems to many people doing cruisetours, and north and south sailing. Some other threads around us are really active, but there are no entries just for the north and south bound either.

I am sure it will still be a fantastic trip. We are so looking forward to Alaska.:p:p:p:p:p

We were on a 14 day cruise too, so you never know. Just chat it up and post a link to the threads on him. It really is a great tour as you can stop where the big buses aren't allowed to stop.

If you want I can be a go between for you. I don't have Dave's number as I was not the one that organized our tour with him. If you want me to call him and email you information let me know here.

Interesting. The number I had for him was: 907-209-5031

Will ask BiL to try with the number you just gave me.

DriftwoodGal many thanks for the offer. If this route is unsuccessful I will certainly avail myself of your kindness.

Is there away to Private Message on these forums [so that I don't have to reveal email addy and other personal details]?

Thanks

Interesting. The number I had for him was: 907-209-5031

Will ask BiL to try with the number you just gave me.

DriftwoodGal many thanks for the offer. If this route is unsuccessful I will certainly avail myself of your kindness.

Is there away to Private Message on these forums [so that I don't have to reveal email addy and other personal details]?

Thanks

Nope, just make a throw away email on hotmail.

Has anyone taken the Noon train up followed by the tour down? Would that be a good idea? We're looking to first see the town and NPS museum, and then head up on the train, followed by the bus tour.

Or will there be some time to see some things in the town if we take the 8am train followed by the tour?

thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We booked a tour with Dave for the White Pass and Emerald Lake. I phoned him, found him very pleasant and helpful. We also had an e-mail from him confirming our date and making exact time and place arrangements. HE DID NOT TURN UP!!!! We waited for almost two hours at the arranged spot. We phoned any known telephone numbers for him, and several friendly tour guides on the pier helped us to try to contact him - but his voice mail was full. I have had no word from him since, no apology - nothing. He certainly spoiled our day in Skagway, and I guess it was a once-in-a-lifetime occasion for us!

Hope you have more luck!

Scotswoman.

Scotswoman - so sorry to hear about your experiences in Skagway. I sure know how disappointed, cross and upset you must have felt. We have booked Dyea Dave for the 12 July, and I have had a concerns too with not being able to contact. Now I am unsure what to do. We cannot confirm right the week before as we will be in transit and we will be just trusting that all will be OK. :mad::eek:

I would be really really cross at this waste of your precious time in Skagway. No amount of apologies would be able to compensate you for not seeing what you had planned. I am sorry for your experience.

:(

By the way, I went to Scotland 1.5 years ago; had the most wonderful time in Edinburgh going to the theatre. We met very helpful and kind people whilst we were walking around.:):)

Originallly he offered to meet my husband and I a little before 8 and he was going to spend a few minutes to show us around.Then later tha tafternoon, we were going to meet him , with our adult children for an afternoon tour. I emailed him to confirm and he responded on Friday , but didn't mention the morning , he did say that he can pick us up at the Pearl or downtown at the Park Service at 3. I emailed him back and asked if it will be the park service( and if so where is that) or at the Pearl? I am not leaving for Seatttle till Thursday. So, I THINK we have time. However, if I do not hear back form him which place do you think I should meet him at? i hope this works out.He does seem very nice.

Archived