MSC Orchestra 4/4 - 4/11

Nancy1006

:( This was one of the worst cruises I have ever been on!!! For a company that claims on their website "On the ships of MSC you will discover a perfect blend of European charm and modern Italian elegance....When you vacation with MSC Cruises, you’ll travel in unparalleled style with the world’s fastest growing cruise line" this ship sure did not meet up to my expectations of this charm and style! The ship for being only 2 years old was not in the best of shape. The couch in our stateroom had tears and the balcony railing was rough and unpolished.

The wait staff in the dining room (Ibicus) was exceptionally slow. It took forever to get each course. My husband finished a glass of iced tea and not one of the wait staff offered to refill it. The seats were dirty looking. The food was medicore at best.

Most all of the crew never had smiles on their faces and all looked as if they really did not want to be there. Even if that was the case they could at least have plastered a smile on their faces.

I noticed too, that a high percentage of the officers were Italian and seemed to look down on crew members who were not Italian. A couple of times they were even belittling them in front of the passengers.

The stops at the ports were too short from what was originally shown on the itinerary.

The disembarkation process was nice though.

I personally will never take another MSC Cruise again!

I found the ship to be immaculate and beautiful, the staff charming and eager to help and the food was very good. Our dinner service was never over 90 minutes, glasses were constantly refilled and waiters were eager to please and reacted positively to each request.

Gotta wonder why such drastic differences of opinion here?

While I agree that the port times were definitely WAY too short and different than what was first advertised, I thought the ship was immaculate! They were cleaning that ship 24/7 when we were on. And the food... this is where I get really confused... to me, this was the way Europeans prepare their food. For example, I have heard many complaints about the lobster. Yes, the lobster was dry because it was prepared differently. It wasn't just lobster, it was cooked with other things on it if I remember correctly.

And the service people... does anyone realize how much these people work? They work EVERY DAY for 6 months straight!!! Yes, 7 days a week. I overheard one of the guests asking a worker about it. He was saying everyday for 6 months... and it's not 8 hour days like we have here in the states. I know darn well I would not be as chipper if I worked liked that! But speaking of that... I do think MSC needs to work on that part. Give those people some time off to recoup.

At any rate... my family of four(me, wife, and two 10 year olds) really enjoyed our cruise. :)

I found the ship to be immaculate and beautiful, the staff charming and eager to help and the food was very good. Our dinner service was never over 90 minutes, glasses were constantly refilled and waiters were eager to please and reacted positively to each request.

Gotta wonder why such drastic differences of opinion here?

Me too. I saw that they even wash the restaurant seats with soap in the middle of the cruise! Also, my room's carpet was steamed cleaned by mid journey...

On another note, my waiter was so efficient that in many nights we were able to watch the second dinner show even though we had first dinner.

We have been reading along enjoying the great reviews written by people who were on from 4/4 to 4/18.

On the remarks made about the cleaning topic ----we had a balcony which overlooked where the people would board the tenders and I couldn't believe it when I saw the guys taking a white cloth and wiping the bannister on the platform---Our balcony rail was wiped down every day and our room was kept soooooooooo clean.

We loved everything about the cruise ---just sorry we didn't manage to make the meet and greet.

Happy Sailing:)

How were the port times changed?

and...

When did you find out about the changes?

As soon as we arrived in Grand Cayman, there was an early morning announcement letting us know that we would have to leave early due to oncoming bad weather, and the need to suspend tender service earlier.

That's the only time change I was aware of on the 4/4 cruise.

By-the-way, we enjoyed our cruise too!

CeleBrat

Nancy, We took the same cruise in Feb. and had the same complaints that you mention about. I watched one waiter in 14 days never saw him smile ever not once. Looks like MCS Line hasn't learned from these mesage boards. Its your vacation why not spend your money and time with someone who actually seems to care if you are enjoying your stay. Like you MSC line is off the list, for future travel.

My experience on MSC was wonderful. The waiters always had a smile for us, played with the children in the group. I will definitely sail MSC again. It is a more laid back cruise experience, which I enjoyed.

I believe MSC has learned and continues to learn from the comments they receive both onboard the ship and the reviews they read here. They are listening and making some changes. However they will never change to totally mimic the mainstream cruiselines....and that is a good thing, imho. I look forward to the day they have a year-round presence in the Caribbean.

I agree MSC is probably one of the most mis managed lines I have sailed on...after 5 days(out of 7) I wanted to go home = away from the crowds(3000 passengers) the really bland mediocre food & service....

Whatever they call it - European or not - its a bad product that is priced to attract the masses - especially with kids cruise free -

Sorry - but the majority of people on these boards & reviews do not give MSC favorable ratings...believe them!!!!!

I had sailed MSC Opera a few years ago & enjoyed....the smaller ship made up for most of the food & serviuce issues.....the larger ship(Orchestra ) just amplified the issues...

We sailed the MSC Orchestra 4/18-25. Not happy!! Food good at best but the lobster was terrible. Cabin stewart excellent, always there and always clean. Bar service was bad, they don't understand English so they don't know what you want. Rooms are small, we were in 9119, balcony. The shower stall is a true water closet, so small. The hand rail is in need of major refinishing. On a boat that is only 2 years old? SAD !!

With so many different cruise lines to choose from MSC will not be at the top of our list this fall.

Here is my take on the Lobster...

On the Orchestra, the lobster is prepared DIFFERENTLY. It was not cooked like you would normally cook it in the states. It had some breaded stuff on top of it. It was not prepared the way I like my lobster, but I wouldn't say it is terrible.

Now, if it was prepared the EXACT same way that they do at Red Lobster or another seafood restaurant here in the states and it was overdone or not right, THEN I would say it is terrible.

Am I wrong about this? :confused:

so I wonder if we're looking at two groups of travellers here...... one that goes with the flow and accepts the differences between cruise lines and embraces them, and the other group that recognises the differences and criticises them for the lack of uniformity/conformity.

Otherwise I really can't explain the absolute opposite reactions that are always posted on this and the Costa board. There is seldom a 'middle of the road' review, it's either wonderful or terrible.

The lobster is an example of this - see post above !!

I don't want to labour the point, but I find it strange that particularly on MSC and Costa boards, the totally negative posts are usually first or second time posters ?? I wonder why that is?

I just posted my first review of a cruise and it was not "negative" in tone. I actually took the time to write a thorough review - unlike some pathetic reviews I've read on cruise critic. People who don't have the ability to write, form thoughts properly or explain themselves in detail.

Archived