Beach and Shells

cruzingduo

Last year we spent a day in Antigua and hired a cab for a few hours. We were looking for shells (not big ones). We went to shell beach where we were surprised to see a marina and very few shells. The cab driver took us to a few different beaches trying to find one with a few shells for me to search through. At Runaway beach, actually a bit past Runaway beach where people were horseback riding, we found a few interesting broken shells. We didn't have enough time there and didn't find a whole shell of the type that we were looking for.

We are sailing on the Explorer and will be in Antigua in May and would like to go back and search for some shells again.

Any suggestions on which beach we should go to (for some shells)? We thought we'd go to Runaway and look in the same area. I have been reading on the boards about Darkwood beach (and the bus, thanks Kewlguy for the bus info) and wondered if there are shells there too? Is there a better beach for hunting for shells?

We were at darkwood beach last Tuesday and the shell collecting was fair, but still the best at any of the 5 islands we visited. Go down to the very end of the beach where it meets the rocks and you will see a spot where the wave action is obviously gathering the shells. My best luck was with a mask about 10-15 feet off the shore in 3 or so feet of water where the biggest ones seemed to gather. The spot on shore is very well picked over. Between waves I would plunge under, pick up as much as my hands could hold, and then sort through them standing up. I found several pretty squarish ones with tiger-like striping about 4 inches long. The west end of the beach is the other option, where the beach is very rocky. There was more to find on the shore, but not as good as the ones I was finding in the water at the other end.

We were at darkwood beach last Tuesday and the shell collecting was fair, but still the best at any of the 5 islands we visited. Go down to the very end of the beach where it meets the rocks and you will see a spot where the wave action is obviously gathering the shells. My best luck was with a mask about 10-15 feet off the shore in 3 or so feet of water where the biggest ones seemed to gather. The spot on shore is very well picked over. Between waves I would plunge under, pick up as much as my hands could hold, and then sort through them standing up. I found several pretty squarish ones with tiger-like striping about 4 inches long. The west end of the beach is the other option, where the beach is very rocky. There was more to find on the shore, but not as good as the ones I was finding in the water at the other end.

Thank you. I am happy to see that I am not the only one who loves to look for shells. A few more questions. Do you know what kind of shell you found-the sqaurish ones with the tiger stripes? Do you have a picture of them? I'd love to see it.

How did you get to Darkwood beach? Is it near Runaway? I found a few shells at Runaway that were beautiful, although broken. That's why I wanted to go back there.

I am looking forward to the beaches. What other ports did stop at and search for shells?

Take the local #22 bus to Darkwood. $1.50 pp each way. Bus depot is about a 10 minute walk from cruise dock. Bus stop right in front of beach. Same coming back. Buses run about every 15-20 minutes

Does the same bus stop at Runaway beach? If not, do you know what bus does?

We found the best shell hunting was at Deep Bay and the best sea glass was found at Fort James Beach.

Karysa

I thought Cockshell at St. Kitts was the best!! We gathered conch shells and all different kinds!! Getting them home was another story...but they made it!! In one piece!!! LOL

Also the best for snorkeling...of all 6 islands we visited.

Kris

Thank you. I am happy to see that I am not the only one who loves to look for shells. A few more questions. Do you know what kind of shell you found-the sqaurish ones with the tiger stripes? Do you have a picture of them? I'd love to see it.

How did you get to Darkwood beach? Is it near Runaway? I found a few shells at Runaway that were beautiful, although broken. That's why I wanted to go back there.

I am looking forward to the beaches. What other ports did stop at and search for shells?

As reported in the other replies, the buses are frequent and cheap. If you are in a pinch taxis are always available at the beaches, but at 10x the rate of the bus.

I am an avid snorkeler and I am always on the look out for shells. I was disappointed by the lack of shells at all of our stops (Samana, BVI, Antigua, Barbados, and St. Lucia). However, we were always on the leeward side of the island, and that obviously makes it more difficult for the wave action to be big enough and consistent enough to collect the shells. In fact, Darkwood was the closest we came to being on the windward side of an island, and the collecting was the best. Sorry, I don't have any pictures and I am not enough of a shell buff to know the name. Good luck hunting!

• 2 weeks later...

We were going to go to Darkwood beach but our Taxi driver recommended another beach, Turner's Beach. It is just beyond Darkwood. The umbrellas were free there (they are wood and in set positions) chair rental cost money.

We found a fair number of shells there. It was a variety, some striped, some not. THere was also a turtle egg nest on the beach in the corner.

The best beach for our cruise, shell wise, was Josiah's Bay on Tortola. We also rented a surf board there and boogie boards.

kristy

ps we arrived early at both beaches and had the beach to ourselves for an hour or so!

Archived