what is the wildest,craziest thing you've ever seen on a cruise?

19stephanie66

3 hours ago, burm said:

Things that go wrong often turn out to make the best stories or turn out for the best in unexpected ways. 

I kind of hope that something goes wrong on your 50th. 🙂 Maybe one day your children could have a similar story and it could become a family curse. LOL 

Hopefully we will make it to our 50th - I'm expecting either the cake will be dropped or be on fire.  For our 60th probably both. 🤣

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Sailing from our last port in Hawaii, Honolulu, aboard the Volendam, there was the customary "throw the lei ceremony" at the aft pool.  The leis were being thrown into the pool as compared to "the good old days of departure from Hawaii".  As the ceremony came to a chose, one of the fully clothed guests, wearing his lei, threw himself into the pool!  The CD was shocked--as we all were.  The crew "fished" him out.  He must have enjoyed one two many Blue Hawaiis or Mai Tais or whatever.  

This was on a Holland America ship.  Not a "fun ship" of Carnival Cruise Lines!  I have never witnessed such a scene on a Carnival Cruise Lines vessel.  Even during my first one which was a Spring Break cruise on the Carnival Freedom.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/3/2004 at 4:17 PM, 19stephanie66 said:

🙂 hi! stephanie and dan here.......i was just wondering what is the most bizarre or wild craziest thing you have ever seen on a cruise?.....dan and i were on the conquest last april the sun was going down and we watched a woman come up an aft staircase and when she got to the top......mind you we were going 23 knots :rolleyes: 🙂 when all of the sudden her wig flew off and went off the back of the ship!!!:eek: ....oh my god:eek: .......i almost choked....i had to run off the other way....trying to keep a straight face sure hope she brought an xtra one.........................stephanie and dan

Stephanie,

Can you believe that this thread that you started on December 3, 2004 would still be going?  Thanks for getting this going.  It has given me (and I suspect a lot of other people) a lot of laughs. 

I look forward to the day when we can start to see crazy things aboard once again.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2007 at 11:20 PM, IslandDreamers said:

Speaking of security line ( a few stories ago)...

During our first cruise, we had met a really nice couple, our age, that were leaving San Juan on the same flight as us.

We thought it was cool, so we hung out together until it was departure time.

As you know, you have to cram all your last minute items into a carry on bag...as we did.

So-there we are, at the security check point when my husband tosses our carry on garment bag on the conveyer belt. It goes through the machine and I walk through the scanner thing...

suddenly an alarm goes off and the woman scanning our bag yells out "I need this bag checked!" the checker person started feeling around the outside of our bag...there was something vibrating....and tube shaped....

"HONEY!!!" my husband yells out!! This got the rest of the people that weren't already paying attention, to look....

AAAGGHHHH!!!!

It was my battery operated TOOTHBRUSH that had turned on!!!!!!!!:o

OK, I know this post is several years old, but I just found this thread and had to respond.

My second cruise, November 2007, we get to our room and one of the suitcases is missing, there is a note saying there was a problem with one of our suitcases and to go to security to reclaim it.  We get in line with everyone that was trying to smuggle alcohol on board, wondering what was going on.  Only one person or couple was allowed in at a time, so when it came our turn we hear a buzzing sound.  My dear wife said "Is that a bomb?"  but the security guard was in no mood for humor.  Turns out that the buzzing was coming from her suitcase, her toothbrush had turned on!  We always got a laugh about the "terrorist weapon."

Fast forward to March 2012, I was devastated when my wife suddenly died.  A couple weeks later I was cleaning the bathroom and threw away the "terrorist weapon."  A few days after that a lady from work texted me and invited me to lunch.  The next day I felt so guilty all day and didn't know why, we didn't do anything I should have felt guilty about, maybe my brain was still in married mode and telling me I shouldn't be out with other women.  That night, I went out and came home about 10 pm.  I went in the bathroom and heard a buzzing noise, I didn't know what it was.  I thought "Why are the neighbors working on their car at this time of night?"  I looked out the window, car was there but nobody working on it.  Then I realized where the noise was coming from.  The toothbrush terrorist weapon had turned itself on in the waste basket!  My dear wife was sending me a heavenly message that it's alright to go out and be with people!

To put an ending to this story, I did, against all odds and expectations, meet a wonderful lady and was remarried, and now she's a cruise addict.

• Like 13

31 minutes ago, AlanRRT said:

To put an ending to this story, I did, against all odds and expectations, meet a wonderful lady and was remarried, and now she's a cruise addict.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story!  I think it is great that this thread keeps going and hopefully we will be able to share many more crazy stories in the coming years.

• Like 1

I want to thank everyone that's posted on here for these many years for giving me something entertaining to read for three days during Covid house arrest.

I must go on the wrong (right?) cruises to have missed so many (mis)adventures that I've read about on here.  My second cruise, the same one I wrote about earlier, was to Mexico, 2007.  We kept running into the same people, and had names for them.  The three most memorable were:

REDHEAD LADY.  At that time, the photos from the previous day were displayed on a rack in the photo gallery.  Every time we looked for our pictures, there was a picture of a lady with beautiful red hair near our pictures.  We never did see her in person, but she was always there in the photo gallery.

ANNA NICHOLE.  A very tall, very curvy, very blonde lady, exquisitely made up,  ala Anna Nichole Smith, thus her name.  She was with a short Philipino man.  On portrait night, she was wearing a beautiful emerald green gown with a large ruffle across the front that accentuated her already ample bosom.  Just before their pictures were taken, he took off a ring (wedding ring?) and put it in his pocket.  I don't know, and I don't want to know what that was about.

DRUNK AND DRUNKER.  A married couple, we first ran into them as they were seated next to us at the muster drill, and they were already pretty polluted.  Our previous cruise had been on the same ship,  He asked about something on the ship, and my DW answered him, he was quite impressed that we knew.  I don't think either of them had a sober minute the whole eight days of the cruise.  This was 2007, so no drink packages, I've heard stories of people who's bar bill was more than the cruise, and I'm sure they were one of them.  A few days into the cruise, we saw them come out of their room.  They were right next to us!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Taking the last part of the World Cruise on the QE2 and passing over the equator.

They have a ceremony for the crew and then the passenger to enter into the Neptune Club.

A full day of fun on deck..

On every cruise that I have sailed that has that ceremony (and all of them did that "crossed the Line") the event is a highlight.  But, I pity the crew members that have to clean up the mess and the pool afterwards.  They probably don't enjoy it so much.

• Haha 1

On 1/15/2021 at 1:10 PM, rkacruiser said:

On every cruise that I have sailed that has that ceremony (and all of them did that "crossed the Line") the event is a highlight.  But, I pity the crew members that have to clean up the mess and the pool afterwards.  They probably don't enjoy it so much.

I'm guessing that the ceremony is pretty tame compared to what my father told me about the same ceremony on a Navy ship during WWII.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AlanRRT said:

I'm guessing that the ceremony is pretty tame compared to what my father told me about the same ceremony on a Navy ship during WWII.

Would you be willing to share the story?  (Or, is it inappropriate for a public message board?)  

49 minutes ago, AlanRRT said:

Here is an interesting YouTube video which seems to cover it, but it would be interesting to hear about your dad's accounts.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

Here is an interesting YouTube video which seems to cover it, but it would be interesting to hear about your dad's accounts.

Good video!  Thanks for posting it.  No Kissing the Fish, though.  But, I wonder what the sailor was given by mouth after the "doctor" had examined his mouth.  

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...

Our adult son (he was around 38 at the time) came with us on one cruise and had the cabin next to ours. We saw him at dinner on the first night and then no sign of him for days. We knew he was around somewhere because the cabin steward mentioned that things in the cabin were obviously moved on a regular basis and there were used towels in the bathroom. However the steward was a bit bemused and told us that our son must be sleeping in the bathroom as the bed was undisturbed!! 😉

We never did find out what he was up to. Ask no questions..................

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

We saw him at dinner on the first night and then no sign of him for days. .......

I have a friend who met a guy on a cruise.  By the end of the 7-day cruise she had moved into his cabin.  

They recently celebrated their 27th wedding anniversary!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

I have a friend who met a guy on a cruise.  By the end of the 7-day cruise she had moved into his cabin.  

That's how my brother met his wife. Years ago he and his daughter were put in a shared cabin with two other people - mixed sexes!

3 hours ago, burm said:

That's how my brother met his wife. Years ago he and his daughter were put in a shared cabin with two other people - mixed sexes!

Now explain "shared cabin."  How does that happen with strangers?  Or was he set up by someone?

11 hours ago, Smokeyham said:

1 hour ago, AlanRRT said:

Now explain "shared cabin."  How does that happen with strangers?  Or was he set up by someone?

I can't explain it. Years ago I chose shared accommodation on cruises but was put in with other women. One of the girls in our cabin was on her honeymoon and they could not afford a double cruising from Vancouver to Australia. Every afternoon the other 4 women and I would leave the cabin for a set period of time to give the couple some privacy.

I was rather shocked when my SIL told me that they met on a major cruiseline when they cruised out of Singapore.  I think there were 2 men, 3 women and my young niece. I know that neither my brother or SIL knew any of the others but the adults were all teachers, so perhaps it was set up by someone outside the cruise line.  "Anyone willing to share a cabin with 4 other teachers for a really cheap cruise?"  

Anyway, DB and SIL are currently travelling and off the grid so I can't ask. I always thought the story was bizarre.

34 minutes ago, burm said:

I can't explain it. Years ago I chose shared accommodation on cruises but was put in with other women. One of the girls in our cabin was on her honeymoon and they could not afford a double cruising from Vancouver to Australia. Every afternoon the other 4 women and I would leave the cabin for a set period of time to give the couple some privacy.

I was rather shocked when my SIL told me that they met on a major cruiseline when they cruised out of Singapore.  I think there were 2 men, 3 women and my young niece. I know that neither my brother or SIL knew any of the others but the adults were all teachers, so perhaps it was set up by someone outside the cruise line.  "Anyone willing to share a cabin with 4 other teachers for a really cheap cruise?"  

Anyway, DB and SIL are currently travelling and off the grid so I can't ask. I always thought the story was bizarre.

Thanks.  I never heard of shared cabins, it sounded bizarre to me.

My first cabin shared with strangers was back in '71. It was cheaper than flying to Australia at the time and a lot of fun. The bathroom was down the hall. Most of the passengers were young people going to work in Australia so there was a lot of action on that ship. 🙂 

A few years later I took a ship from Australia to Africa and shared a cabin with 3 strange women. We had our own bathroom on that cruise so it seemed really luxurious. LOL  I made amazing, life-long friends with a couple of my roomies. 

I think most cruise lines did this  back then but I can't imagine them doing it today. I especially can't imagine sharing with a strange man. I think that was a Princess cruise. If I had to guess, this was maybe 30 years ago. 

Shared cabins with strangers must have been a 'thing' in the early 70s then. My girlfriend and I went on a short 3 day cruise on P&O's Iberia and shared a quad cabin with two other girls we didn't know. And yes, the bathroom and loos were down the hall. Must have been an inside cabin because I certainly don't remember a porthole! I do remember we plebs were not allowed anywhere near First Class passengers, though the Captain did grace us with his presence for a cocktail party. 😁

I've never heard of mixed sex shared cabins (with strangers, that is). Sounds a bit 'iffy' to me. From what I've read even 3rd class on the Titantic segregated the sexes when it came to shared cabins.😬

My first cruise was with a P&O ship as well. 

First class passengers were not allowed to mix with the riff raff. Some young people who were travelling with their families in First would climb over the barrier to join us on the fun side. 

Every table had one bottle or red wine and one bottle of white at every dinner. The table next to us did not drink at all, so they gave us their wine every night.