Quilt shops in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan

papergypsy

Can anyone recommend a quilt shop in Juneau, Skagway or Ketchikan? I would like to purchase Alaska themed patterns or fabrics for my group of quilting buddys that I sew with every week. Any ideas for unique gifts would be greatly appreciated.

Princess,

I have heard lots of good things about Changing Threads in Skagway - it is already on my list of places to shop. I understand that they have an amazing yarn spun from Alaskan Musk Ox. Here is a great link to their site.

They also have dyed roving, if you are a spinner or know someone who is.

I plan on taking a couple of pairs of socks to on the way up, then buy more yarn at this shop to knit more socks on the way back down.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm told there's another quilt shop in Juneau but that they are open mostly in the evenings. I found their website http://www.martinasfabric.com They have some great Alaskana items....I'm entertaining the idea of shopping online and having them ship my purchases directly home..leaves room in my suitcase too! :rolleyes: Too convenient!!

Edited by Got2GoUKnow

I was also on the hunt for quilt shops and found what looks like a nice one in Skagway...I e-mailed them to check on their 4th of July hours and got a very quick, very nice reply. It's called Rushin' Tailor's Quiltshop, 370 Third Ave. rushintailor.com

Linda

Princess,

I have heard lots of good things about Changing Threads in Skagway - it is already on my list of places to shop. I understand that they have an amazing yarn spun from Alaskan Musk Ox. Here is a great link to their site.

They also have dyed roving, if you are a spinner or know someone who is.

I plan on taking a couple of pairs of socks to on the way up, then buy more yarn at this shop to knit more socks on the way back down.

Thanks! I'm going to try to check this place out! As I recall, my excursion in Skagway isn't till 1 pm so I should have plenty of time.

I have not yet been brave enough to try socks... I have knit two raglan sweaters, one piece from the neck down, and a lot of caps, mittens, scarves, prayer shawls.... one of these days I'll attempt the socks...! :)

On my visit to the internet cafe in Ketchikan, I visited a fabric shop and quilt shop on the same floor as the internet cafe. It was on the second floor of a shopping center building at the end of the dock near the small boat marina. Also in Juneau, there was a nice shop near the internet cafe. Again on the second floor of a building on Franklin Street. A nice touch was that the internet card I bought in Juneau was also honored in Ketchikan. I bought an hour and didn't use all the time in Juneau.

We are on the Pacific Princess in June and have trips in every port except Ketchikan and Kodiak. Any shops there? I shopped the one in Juneau two years ago and found fabric I can not find in the lower 48. No I need - want more!!!:o

Cindy,

Socks are really easy, because you keep knitting 'round and 'round. I do them on 2 short circular needles instead of 4 needles because it is next to impossible to drop stitches off the ends of the circular needles. Also, they don't take a lot of yarn and you are not toting a lot of "stuff" around with you when you knit socks. They make great gifts when you find yourself drowning in them, too!

If you can get your hands on the book "Socks Soar on Two Needles", you will have a great reference with easy to follow directions and good pictures to follow.

Hope you enjoy the shop!

CruisingCarol,

You just made my day! I kept trying to figure out where I would stash my husband and daughter while I was shopping in Ketchikan. They can do e-mail at the Internet Cafe while I buy fabric!

Do you remember where the internet cafe is in Juneau, or do you know how I can find info on it before we get to Juneau? Juneau is our first stop, Ketchikan is our last, and DD is bringing her Mac. I really don't want to try to imagine what DH and DD will be like without access to the "outside world".

Any help you can provide would be GREATLY appreciated!

Of all the shops, my favorite is the one in Ketchikan. It's on the second floor (there is an elevator) of Salmon Landing, the farthest right building on the pier (facing town). The internet is also on this floor. Not only do they have a lot of fabric, last time we were there they had a separate store of Barbara Lavallee fabric, kits, etc. The perfect items to bring home to friends.

A couple of years ago, I visited a quilting shop in Skagway. Lots of material and patterns. I don't recall the name, but it was on one of the side streets.

If anyone is heading to Sitka, there is also a quilting shop there, very near the church in the middle of town. This shop had some special Sitka material with scenes from Sitka on it.

Edited by Marie321

There's a quilt and yarn shop in The Senate Building on Franklin Street in Juneau. Both are on the second floor. There's a much more extensive quilting shop out in The Valley, but it would require a car or really determined quilter using the bus.

Here's the list. I hope my post doesn't get bounced for too much detail. I am not affiliated with any of these stores. I used Google. I'm also on Pacific Princess which is stopping in Valdez, Seward, and Kodiak.

Valdez - Alaska

The Calico Whale

354 Fairbanks Drive

Valdez, Alaska

907-835-4263

Seward - Alaska

Sew N Bee Cozy

211 4th Ave

Seward, Alaska

907-224-7647

http://www.sewnbeecozy.com

Kodiak - Alaska

Flying Geese Fabric and Quilts

202 Center Street

Suite 320

Kodiak, Alaska

907-486-8700

Ketchikan - Alaska

Rainforest Crafts

2544 Tongass Ave

Ketchikan, Alaska 99901

907-247-2738

http://www.rainforestcrafts.biz

The Silver Thimble Fabric Shop

5 Salmon Landing

Suite 204

Ketchikan, Alaska 99901

907-225-5422

Juneau - Alaska

Changing Tides and The Cross Stitch Gallery

175 S. Franklin Street

Juneau, Alaska

907-523-6084

Rain Tree Quilting

Airport Shopping Center

9131 Glacier Highway

Juneau, Alaska 99801

907-789-7900

Klondike Down

161 S Franklin St.

Juneau, Alaska 99801

907-586-4711

http://www.Klondikedown.Com

Skagway - Alaska

Changing Threads

326 3rd Street

Skagway, Alaska 99840

907-983-3700

The Rushin' Tailor

636 Broadway

Po Box 135

Skagway, Alaska 99840

907-983-2397

http://www.quiltalaska.com

E&E

Cindy,

Socks are really easy, because you keep knitting 'round and 'round. I do them on 2 short circular needles instead of 4 needles because it is next to impossible to drop stitches off the ends of the circular needles. Also, they don't take a lot of yarn and you are not toting a lot of "stuff" around with you when you knit socks. They make great gifts when you find yourself drowning in them, too!

If you can get your hands on the book "Socks Soar on Two Needles", you will have a great reference with easy to follow directions and good pictures to follow.

Hope you enjoy the shop!

Thanks for the tip.

I have had no problems working in the round on circular needles, or on double-points. My two raglan sweaters were knit using a combination of both (and I hate to seam, so the one-piece raglan is perfect for me).

I've been using a large circular needle instead of dpn's to make caps lately - I forget exactly what the method is called, but it involves leaving a loop or two of needle within the work.

I'm more concerned about the heel of the sock, as those look tricky.

Plus, gauge issues. My friends at KnitWits use these tiny little needles, and since I knit European style, I "knit big" and always have to bump down a few sizes to make gauge. I'd be concerned about snapping the really thin needles I'd need! :)

In case you didn't read the bead shop thread the Silver Thimble shop in Ketchikan is for sale and the current owner is retiring after this summer. I posted the quilt shop info on that thread because the last time I was there a bead store was in the same building as the quilt shop.

Also, if you have transportation in Juneau the Rie Munoz gallery is worth a visit. It's near a quilt store. She has original prints and reasonably priced copies of her prints in various sizes (notecards and larger) if you want some Alaskan artwork. Here's a link to her web site: http://www.riemunoz.com/. You should be able to find her artwork in shops in the main shopping area in Juneau.

E&E

Thanks for the tip.

I have had no problems working in the round on circular needles, or on double-points. My two raglan sweaters were knit using a combination of both (and I hate to seam, so the one-piece raglan is perfect for me).

I've been using a large circular needle instead of dpn's to make caps lately - I forget exactly what the method is called, but it involves leaving a loop or two of needle within the work.

I'm more concerned about the heel of the sock, as those look tricky.

Plus, gauge issues. My friends at KnitWits use these tiny little needles, and since I knit European style, I "knit big" and always have to bump down a few sizes to make gauge. I'd be concerned about snapping the really thin needles I'd need! :)

AHHHHH, a knitter after my own heart! Caps using the "magic loop" are the best. I also hate to seam, so I was really happy when someonone showed me how to do my sweaters on the circulars. And I knit European and "big" (I think the 2 go hand in hand, to be honest). If you are concerned about using small needles (I usually knit on size 2 or 3 for sport weight socks) you can always find a pattern for knitting a DK or 4-ply yarn on size 5, 6 or 7 needles. Lorna's Laces has great sock yarns in heavier weights - I buy them online at www.jimmybeanswool.com.

• 2 years later...
Here's the list. I hope my post doesn't get bounced for too much detail. I am not affiliated with any of these stores. I used Google. I'm also on Pacific Princess which is stopping in Valdez, Seward, and Kodiak.

Valdez - Alaska

The Calico Whale

354 Fairbanks Drive

Valdez, Alaska

907-835-4263

Seward - Alaska

Sew N Bee Cozy

211 4th Ave

Seward, Alaska

907-224-7647

http://www.sewnbeecozy.com

Kodiak - Alaska

Flying Geese Fabric and Quilts

202 Center Street

Suite 320

Kodiak, Alaska

907-486-8700

Ketchikan - Alaska

Rainforest Crafts

2544 Tongass Ave

Ketchikan, Alaska 99901

907-247-2738

http://www.rainforestcrafts.biz

The Silver Thimble Fabric Shop

5 Salmon Landing

Suite 204

Ketchikan, Alaska 99901

907-225-5422

Juneau - Alaska

Changing Tides and The Cross Stitch Gallery

175 S. Franklin Street

Juneau, Alaska

907-523-6084

Rain Tree Quilting

Airport Shopping Center

9131 Glacier Highway

Juneau, Alaska 99801

907-789-7900

Klondike Down

161 S Franklin St.

Juneau, Alaska 99801

907-586-4711

http://www.Klondikedown.Com

Skagway - Alaska

Changing Threads

326 3rd Street

Skagway, Alaska 99840

907-983-3700

The Rushin' Tailor

636 Broadway

Po Box 135

Skagway, Alaska 99840

907-983-2397

http://www.quiltalaska.com

E&E

OMG! A few years have past & I hope these stores are still here... I am so excited. Posted on another board & that person kind enough to lead me to this link! I am hoping to accumulate fabric memories instead of touristy stuff... TY

We were just on an Alaskan cruise and I came across a quilt shop in Ketchikan. It was right by the Lumberjack show in a two-story building with shops and a bar downstairs. Sorry I don't recall the name of it. It looked like it had some nice quilting materials.

We were just on an Alaskan cruise and I came across a quilt shop in Ketchikan. It was right by the Lumberjack show in a two-story building with shops and a bar downstairs. Sorry I don't recall the name of it. It looked like it had some nice quilting materials.

That's the Silver Thimble Quilt Shop - an excellent spot!