Need guidance on snorkeling

gram4haley

I want to try snorkeling while in Hawaii March of next year. We will sail on the POAM. We plan to spend a few extra days on Oahu either before or after cruise. So we will see Oahu, Maui, Kauai and the Big Island.

I cannot swim but have been told that this is not a problem for learning to snorkeling.

What island is the best for a beginner? What company is the best for beginners?

Thanks for your guidance.

You might post this on the scuba/snorkel section. We have been snorkeling on all of the islands but also are good swimmers. I would suggest that you practice snorkeling in a pool before going in the ocean. That way you will be comfortable with the equipment. I would think Hanauma Bay on Oahu would be the most protected for non-swimmers. Cherie

Honestly, if you have never snorkeled before, I would recommend that you snorkel with someone that knows what they are doing (really knows what they are doing) and can teach you.

Most people think snorkeling is easy and it is. But, if you have never done it before, it can be dangerous.

If you are going to rent gear and go, that is not safe.

If you don't know anyone that can teach you, I would recommend that you sign up for a snorkel excursion through the ship or a local operator. The tour operators have good equipment (including snorkel vests) and will teach you how to snorkel. If you have problems, they will help you. You will also probably see a lot more than you would snorkeling from the beach.

Mark

I agree with Scuba Mark, as a diver, snorkeler and strong swimmer, if you haven't snorkled before and you're not a strong swimmer you need to go with a tour guide - someone who gives lessons and will watch over you. If you are on Maui I would take one of the Molokini tours - it's a lovely day and the snorkeling is quite protected. some of them also do turtle town which is fun. But until you are comfortable with it, I wouldn't venture on my own. It's been a few years since we took a snorkeling tour, but I think the catamaran we were on in Maui was Pride of Maui and it was quite good.

Have fun and stay safe!

YaYa

• Administrators
Thanks for the info. I plan to book the NCL tour for Molokini Crater Snorkel.

If you have someplace at home, before your cruise, where you can learn the basics of snorkeling and floating, you might want to do that, too. I much prefer snorkeling off a boat to snorkeling off a beach, but if I weren't a comfortable swimmer/floater, the fact that the water beneath me is 20 - 200+ feet deep might cause me problems. Some folks find snorkeling claustrophobic -- I don't, but after years of snorkeling experience, I still hyperventilate the first few minutes of my first snorkel on a trip (with practice, I've learned how to manage that reaction).

Since you are a non-swimmer, I'd heartily recommend trying to find some kind of exposure/familiarization experience before you take a boat trip during your fabulous Hawaiian vacation to swim in water which is up to 100+ feet deep. Then, once onboard, ask the guides what kinds of flotation devices they offer -- kick boards, float belts, inner tubes, etc. They should have many floaty type devices to let you feel comfortable experiencing what's under the water. Have a great trip!

Archived